Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

yeha checking at my local they have showings every half hour and clicking through every screening it seems like so far it has sold three tickets total across all of them. which i'm not opposed to since right now i have no issue seeing this with no audience but the numbers might suck for them!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeha checking at my local they have showings every half hour and clicking through every screening it seems like so far it has sold three tickets total across all of them. which i'm not opposed to since right now i have no issue seeing this with no audience but the numbers might suck for them!

Once they settled on this release, they should at least have properly kicked marketing up a notch, but...nothing.

It's not a high profile enough movie to just coast on the fact that it has all screens to itself. That fact CAN allow for decent box office, but you still need people to show up, to take advantage of no competition. And while a superhero movie might be able to get some more reticent people out, an original would have needed a proper month-long push, and that's not been the case.

If they weren't committed to doing everything to make this a must-see, they shoulda just pushed it back.

Seems to be selling well at the BFI IMAX, although given how squashed together their seats are, I’m not confident in their social distancing measures if they’re only leaving one seat between customers and no restrictions on being sat in front/behind others. It’s definitely less than a metre. Squashing that many people together in London is just asking for trouble.

19 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Once they settled on this release, they should at least have properly kicked marketing up a notch, but...nothing.

It's not a high profile enough movie to just coast on the fact that it has all screens to itself. That fact CAN allow for decent box office, but you still need people to show up, to take advantage of no competition. And while a superhero movie might be able to get some more reticent people out, an original would have needed a proper month-long push, and that's not been the case.

If they weren't committed to doing everything to make this a must-see, they shoulda just pushed it back.

The thing is though, for a while they actually were promoting this (at least here in the US) like it was supposed to be a major release set to open soon (there were a ton of TV spots plus billboards were in LA around late June/early July). Problem was the release date kept getting pushed back because of uncertainty to the point where they had to suspend the marketing instead of continuing to throw money away.

Being a completely original movie where the main hook is that it's the newest movie from one of the biggest directors working today it doesn't need to post gangbuster presales. They just have to hope that enough people will show up when it opens (internationally at least...as for the US, well, hopefully it makes much more than The Prestige's $53M total) in order to avoid a massive financial loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The thing is though, for a while they actually were promoting this (at least here in the US) like it was supposed to be a major release set to open soon (there were a ton of TV spots plus billboards were in LA around late June/early July). Problem was the release date kept getting pushed back because of uncertainty to the point where they had to suspend the marketing instead of continuing to throw money away.

Being a completely original movie where the main hook is that it's the newest movie from one of the biggest directors working today it doesn't need to post gangbuster presales. They just have to hope that enough people will show up when it opens (internationally at least...as for the US, well, hopefully it makes much more than The Prestige's $53M total) in order to avoid a massive financial loss.

True, the repeated two week delay thing was just a cluster fuck on WB's part. And once they did burn that money and realized more of a marketing push will be needed close to release, the decision should've been to delay it properly, either to late 2020 or next year.

But, it is what it is... As you said, massive presales aren't needed, but for word of mouth to have any effect and lead to long legs to save it from disaster, it still needs enough people to show up in the first place, to generate that word of mouth and it's not looking promising right now.

Let's see what the next two weeks bring. Hopefully the trend for COVID improves, and not the opposite.

Edited by reddevil19

12 minutes ago, Eric Sparrow said:

Critics don't have to do shit lmao

If any critics are lenient to it purely because they want people to go back to cinemas then they should find a new job. Films should be judged based on what they are, not on the external factors surrounding their release.

• Like 1

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

If any critics are lenient to it purely because they want people to go back to cinemas then they should find a new job. Films should be judged based on what they are, not on the external factors surrounding their release.

To be honest, I actually think it'll be the opposite - as per tweets we've seen in the past.

Not necessarily critical without cause, but actively discouraging people from seeing it in the cinema (i.e "Good movie, but don't risk it"). I feel that is also not for a reviewer to say, if we want to maintain discourse strictly on its merits as a film.

However, given the circumstances, I don't see how it would be possible to do that.

This doesn’t even need a good debut anyway, considering it doesn’t have any big competition (if WB delay WW1984 then it will have basically all the screens for at least 2 months).

In my pov, this could easily debut with just ok numbers but finish with a decent amount (considering the situation). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The only REAL info we've had on pre-sales so far is the SK one, which looks promising (to say the least), and yet, people here are already buring this movie based on the post of two members about the performance on their cinemas. This place is hilarious. YIKES. 

This. The other countries will be reopening theaters gradually. Legs are going to matter much more than a big opening.
'Unhiged' opened at $ 231k and has ~ $ 575k accumulated already after the second weekend. '100% Wolf' opened with $ 43k and has ~ $ 166k accumulated in the second weekend, both in the UK. Legs will matter a lot in these countries and, at least in UK, they are very strong and optimistic.

It is really curious to see so many people being pessimistic about these numbers when the reality is different. If someone here is rooting for cinemas end and studios release movies directly on the torrent, this thread is not your place

• Like 3