Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

8 minutes ago, zlazer said:

Depends, it wouldn't be my cinema as we do not have a Imax, so either way I'm sure you'll have to purchase it full price 😂

Nooooo! What good are you, then? 

Well, at least I have my Unlimited Card for a discount. To be honest, I'm probably gonna cancel it after Tenet. There's just very little in the way of new releases, and there's only so many times you can see Harry Potter in the cinema, so it's not worth paying for it anymore. I think not offering a "freeze your membership" option is a terrible decision. I'd settle for paying a 5 quid monthly admin fee to keep it frozen, but full price, when I probably won't be using it? Nope. Especially when price for new membership is now lower... Just baffling, really.

And it's Enfield.

Think Wandsworth, Feltham and Wood Green also have 29 showings on opening day and then go to 30 for the weekend, with the O2 having something like 35 showings...

Edited by reddevil19

‘Tenet’ Will Have Sneak Previews in the U.S., Starting August 31

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/tenet-sneak-previews-august-31-1234579466/

Or not.

Note: After publication, a Warner Bros. representative responded: “We’ve only announced 9/3 at this stage.”

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Nooooo! What good are you, then? 

Well, at least I have my Unlimited Card for a discount. To be honest, I'm probably gonna cancel it after Tenet. There's just very little in the way of new releases, and there's only so many times you can see Harry Potter in the cinema, so it's not worth paying for it anymore. I think not offering a "freeze your membership" option is a terrible decision. I'd settle for paying a 5 quid monthly admin fee to keep it frozen, but full price, when I probably won't be using it? Nope. Especially when price for new membership is now lower... Just baffling, really.

And it's Enfield.

Think Wandsworth, Feltham and Wood Green also have 29 showings on opening day and then go to 30 for the weekend, with the O2 having something like 35 showings...

Ye, locally Enfield is my cinema as well worked there for 5 years and change, their refurb has turned it to a really nice cinema 

In regards to unlimited on site level we have no say on how it operates and it must be difficult to pay for something that offers so much and now it doesn't. 

I'm hella excited for Tenet, I been tracking our sales, at the moment it's lower then I was expecting but that could still change. 

Our demo here is 50/50 split to Bollywood/Hollywood and everything else so not showing any of that has severe consequences on our numbers. 

The showing looked remarkably like Enfield and thought I'd ask just for my curiosity. 

14 minutes ago, zlazer said:

Ye, locally Enfield is my cinema as well worked there for 5 years and change, their refurb has turned it to a really nice cinema 

In regards to unlimited on site level we have no say on how it operates and it must be difficult to pay for something that offers so much and now it doesn't. 

I'm hella excited for Tenet, I been tracking our sales, at the moment it's lower then I was expecting but that could still change. 

Our demo here is 50/50 split to Bollywood/Hollywood and everything else so not showing any of that has severe consequences on our numbers. 

The showing looked remarkably like Enfield and thought I'd ask just for my curiosity. 

Ya, after the refurb, it's been great. But as you said... paying 19 quid a month to watch Harry Potter or Batman Begins? Like, don't get me wrong, I love the movies currently playing, and they're great to watch on the big screen, but I've also seen them all a dozen times or more, including in cinema. Now TV Cinema and Netflix is basically the same cost as my Unlimited membership, so... you know, it's kind of a no-brainer if I decide to cut some costs, when I'm essentially not using my unlimited card.

I know this is obviously a corporate decision, I was more expressing a frustration. Lee Valley Odeon is a LUXE now, and it's only like 10 minutes further so, you know, I may just say "screw it", cut Cineworld and, in a year, if things are back to normal and chains are still in business, re-evaluate my options. Those recliners are mighty fine, lol.

Edited by reddevil19

5 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Of course it needs to be more than half the tickets sold, what else is even playing?

For the second tweet

Note: After publication, a Warner Bros. representative responded: “We’ve only announced 9/3 at this stage.”

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Of course it needs to be more than half the tickets sold, what else is even playing?

For the second tweet

in fairness a US drive in did announce a few days ago they were doing 8/31 sneaks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, antovolk said:

I mean... if it were less, I would be worried. Tbh, I was expecting closer to 80%, considering it's basically on every screen. The question is the number, not % here, since these are not normal times. If it's 60% of a couple thousand... Well, that's like all those reports we constantly get about so-and-so outselling such-and-such at a very specific time. As in, meaningless.

Still, fingers crossed.

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ya, after the refurb, it's been great. But as you said... paying 19 quid a month to watch Harry Potter or Batman Begins? Like, don't get me wrong, I love the movies currently playing, and they're great to watch on the big screen, but I've also seen them all a dozen times or more, including in cinema. Now TV Cinema and Netflix is basically the same cost as my Unlimited membership, so... you know, it's kind of a no-brainer if I decide to cut some costs, when I'm essentially not using my unlimited card.

I know this is obviously a corporate decision, I was more expressing a frustration. Lee Valley Odeon is a LUXE now, and it's only like 10 minutes further so, you know, I may just say "screw it", cut Cineworld and, in a year, if things are back to normal and chains are still in business, re-evaluate my options. Those recliners are mighty fine, lol.

Completely understand, tbh it's so difficult at cinema lvl to figure out how the industry will survive, Tenent will be such a key film to figure out of it is feasible under these circumstances. 

Never been to an odeon luxe, as why would I go when I get 3 free tickets to any screening at any Cineworld. 

If things remain the same for a long time, I hope those small indie films that get released online also get cinema releases. 

So people have the choice. 

On our site the busiest showing we have had so far is Dark Knight at 45 tickets sold. 

10 minutes ago, zlazer said:

Completely understand, tbh it's so difficult at cinema lvl to figure out how the industry will survive, Tenent will be such a key film to figure out of it is feasible under these circumstances. 

Never been to an odeon luxe, as why would I go when I get 3 free tickets to any screening at any Cineworld. 

If things remain the same for a long time, I hope those small indie films that get released online also get cinema releases. 

So people have the choice. 

On our site the busiest showing we have had so far is Dark Knight at 45 tickets sold. 

Reality still hasn't hit a lot of people either. Just in recent days are we seeing some official recognition of the fact that we're in for a blood bath in terms of job loses once furlough ends. But once that happens, we'll see a lot of belt tightening and things like 19 quid for something that offers literally zero value at the moment? Ya, that's definitely gonna be on the "must cut" list for a lot of people.

I've only been to a LUXE once, but quite liked it. Still, I prefer really massive screens if possible and bigger auditoriums as well, as I enjoy the social aspect of a full screening for a massive opening and most of the LUXE ones are a bit smaller. I'm always very specific bout the screens I book at Enfield for that reason, lol. Or I'll occasionally go to the BFI for something like this (but given how much their seats suck, I am not sitting for 3 hours to watch this - Interstellar was literally torture). I've done a few Vues with mates, and they've been great, and they have the very good set price thing going on (which, let's be honest, I rarely do more than 3 movies a month, so it would still work out the same as Unlimited). That's all to say...pretty much every chain has an option and, if they survive, there will be an option after it all and in the meantime I'm not wasting money...

Also, makes sense for TDK - that was the one that tempted me the most as well. Superhero movie, a highly-esteemed one at that, Nolan, over a decade since release, so a lot of people may not have seen it on the big screen in a long time, etc...

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I've only been to a LUXE once, but quite liked it. Still, I prefer really massive screens if possible and bigger auditoriums as well, as I enjoy the social aspect of a full screening for a massive opening and most of the LUXE ones are a bit smaller. I'm always very specific bout the screens I book at Enfield for that reason, lol. Or I'll occasionally go to the BFI for something like this (but given how much their seats suck, I am not sitting for 3 hours to watch this - Interstellar was literally torture). I've done a few Vues with mates, and they've been great, and they have the very good set price thing going on (which, let's be honest, I rarely do more than 3 movies a month, so it would still work out the same as Unlimited). That's all to say...pretty much every chain has an option and, if they survive, there will be an option after it all and in the meantime I'm not wasting money...

The Dolby Cinema screen at Odeon Leicester Square is good if you’re looking for a big screen/auditorium and the Luxe recliner chairs. It’s expensive depending on which seats you choose, but I pay it for the occasional event film. Avengers Endgame on opening night there was a fantastic experience.

I think they’ve got Tenet on 70mm too.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean... if it were less, I would be worried. Tbh, I was expecting closer to 80%, considering it's basically on every screen. The question is the number, not % here, since these are not normal times. If it's 60% of a couple thousand... Well, that's like all those reports we constantly get about so-and-so outselling such-and-such at a very specific time. As in, meaningless.

Still, fingers crossed.

Are you serious?
This means that Tenet sold more than all films playing combined on Wednesday. The trend is to increase when it is closer to release. If all films playing made $ 100k combined on wednesday, Tenet already has done $ 150k. It was just the first day of presales and there are many theaters to open in the next few weeks. This number is huge!

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Litio said:

Are you serious?
This means that Tenet sold more than all films playing combined on Wednesday. The trend is to increase when it is closer to release. If all films playing made $ 100k combined on wednesday, Tenet already has done $ 150k. It was just the first day of presales and there are many theaters to open in the next few weeks. This number is huge!

There is nothing else playing. Everything else combined, at Vue, selling on a Wed... If you take out a zero from the hundred grand and its probably still over-estimating. That's the point. You're looking at the percentage being high, but the other 40% is most likely insignificant. 

That's the sticking point with releases that mention only % or general "outsold so-and-so at 12.03 on the third Friday", because you're missing a part of the equation. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3

49 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

There is nothing else playing. Everything else combined, at Vue, selling on a Wed... If you take out a zero from the hundred grand and its probably still over-estimating. That's the point. You're looking at the percentage being high, but the other 40% is most likely insignificant. 

That's the sticking point with releases that mention only % or general "outsold so-and-so at 12.03 on the third Friday", because you're missing a part of the equation. 

I did a projection with the numbers that were given. There are films playing in UK cinemas. I used these numbers as a basis:

https://www.britinfo.net/cinema/ukbox.htm

Presales’ comparisons in the USA (not UK) are usually made between pre-sales, not between sales of films playing and pre-sales. This comparison took just 1 or 2 days before release, unless your movie is something like Endgame. 
Seriously, how much are you expecting Tenet will do on OW?

• Thanks 1