Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

21 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

My country probably won't be open by August 28th and maybe even not by September 4th but there's no way I'm gonna subject myself to the horrors of a cam rip. I'm just gonna take all the precautions I can to avoid spoilers.

the usual wait time for hollywood movies to go on VOD is 2-3 months after theatrical release (before corona) but with the way WB are planning to release Tenet in a slower roll out and they want it to keep playing for more than 3 months means they will probably hold off the digital release as long as possible to make sure it earns its full potential in theaters. so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to wait to like Dec/Jan before releasing it on digital.

Edited by RealLyre

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

the usual wait time for hollywood movies to go on VOD is 2-3 months after theatrical release (before corona) but with the way WB are planning to release Tenet in a slower roll out and they want it to keep playing for more than 3 months means they will probably hold off the digital release as long as possible to make sure it earns its full potential in theaters. so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to wait to like Dec/Jan before releasing it on digital.

Ya, I'd guess a Christmas-ish digital release would be a good target for it.

22 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Dunkirk was released in late-July 2017 but the digital release came only in Dec, nearly 5 months after its premiere.

We may see Nolan uses his power over WB to push that release date to later date.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Bad news for NYC theaters being open in time for the release of this:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo Calls Movie Theaters Riskier, Less Essential Than Other Businesses, No Word On Reopening

https://deadline.com/2020/08/new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-1203015136/

Then how come they're opening gyms next week which are just as essential and even more risky than cinemas?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Then how come they're opening gyms next week which are just as essential and even more risky than cinemas?

I suppose they can justify them as more essential due to providing a health service (both physical and mental after months of lockdown). 

Personally, I've never once gone bowling without getting sick, lol.

8 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Dunkirk was released in late-July 2017 but the digital release came only in Dec, nearly 5 months after its premiere.

We may see Nolan uses his power over WB to push that release date to later date.

Nolan has no power to force theaters in the US to reopen, though.

You Nolan fanboys are really giving Nolan more power then he really has.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4

36 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I suppose they can justify them as more essential due to providing a health service (both physical and mental after months of lockdown). 

Personally, I've never once gone bowling without getting sick, lol.

You can also stagger apponitments and scheduling in Gyms and Bowling alleys to make Social Distancing easier, something you can't do with movies.

Edited by dudalb

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You can also stagger apponitments and scheduling in Gyms and Bowling alleys to make Social Distancing easier, something you can't do with movies.

True, though that is overstating it a bit. With showings staggered at least 20 minutes, if not longer, and capacity at 30%, it's no different than controlling access into a shop or supermarket. Yes, it is easier for a gym, but given the attendance limitations for cinemas, that will hardly be a stampede. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Well, Sea World is doing it at their stadium shows...so you CAN stagger departure at movie theaters, it would just take 2 personnel at the end of the showing to make it happen...one on each side directing departure at JUST the mega-showings (b/c 30% attendance at the 60 seat shows...ummm, is 18 people...and that's lower than pretty much any allowed group size anywhere right now)...

And arrivals are already staggered...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is so untrue, just look theatres around the world. The protocol here is very strict and works ok, with social distancing, masks, etc. Cinemas with about 30% capacity, around 40 to 60 seats available. Concerts in big theatres working with about 700 seats with even more stric protocols to accomodate people and to leave. Also there is no people constantly moving like in the gym.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, lor15 said:

That is so untrue, just look theatres around the world. The protocol here is very strict and works ok, with social distancing, masks, etc. Cinemas with about 30% capacity, around 40 to 60 seats available. Concerts in big theatres working with about 700 seats with even more stric protocols to accomodate people and to leave. Also there is no people constantly moving like in the gym.

Which leads to the question is 30 to 40% seating enough to convince studios to release blockbusters films...I don't think it is. I think the studios will wait, unless they are really desperate, for bigger seating capacity.

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

this whole "2020 won't have anymore major releases" rhetoric has already became irrelevant when Tenet, Mulan and New Mutants stopped getting delayed.

Mulan is going straight to paid streaming in a lot of markets and New Mutants is not exactly a major release.   

Tenet does mean that 2020 will get at least one more major primarily theatrical release, serving as a trial balloon for the rest.

8 hours ago, RealLyre said:

this whole "2020 won't have anymore major releases" rhetoric has already became irrelevant when Tenet, Mulan and New Mutants stopped getting delayed.

Yeaaaah Mulan doesn't count in that context. If anything it proves the point: Disney didn't think the movie was viable in theaters anytime soon.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Which leads to the question is 30 to 40% seating enough to convince studios to release blockbusters films...I don't think it is. I think the studios will wait, unless they are really desperate, for bigger seating capacity.

In the current climate that's counteracted by the number of screens they can take. Tenet has no competition here in the UK, so it's taking 90% or more of screens at open cinemas. 

• Like 1