Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Okay, what are everyone's real predictions? What are people thinking for DOM opening? WW opening? Finish? We are truly in uncharted BO territory since we have never had something like this happen before. No matter what happens, Tenet's run is going to be historical.

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Has it been confirmed how many venues (or even when) this is opening domestically?

Starting September 3rd at any venues that are open and have agreed to Warner’s terms. Will rollout to the rest of the country as it opens up. We don’t have an exact count but considering the two biggest markets in LA and NY are still closed that alone will be a sizeable hit to both how many screens it opens on and how much it makes opening weekend (although I think Warner are keeping their fingers crossed this release will be super leggy.)

Also as an aside opening weekend itself is going to be very weird as a metric as Canada opening is a week prior to the US which makes things complicated. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Okay, what are everyone's real predictions? What are people thinking for DOM opening? WW opening? Finish? We are truly in uncharted BO territory since we have never had something like this happen before. No matter what happens, Tenet's run is going to be historical.

I wouldn't even know were to begin - especially since we could see lock-downs come into effect anywhere at any point, thus cutting off any WOM effect (should it even get that in the first place, if enough people see it over the first week or so).

I can see like 10-15 million DOM opening and, with a best case scenario of no further lock-downs and LA and NY joining within the month, great WOM, it does 100+ DOM. And maybe 250 OS.

But on the other hand, maybe it opens to 5M dom, finishes with 40-50, and barely cracks 200 WW.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

In the current climate that's counteracted by the number of screens they can take. Tenet has no competition here in the UK, so it's taking 90% or more of screens at open cinemas. 

This. When tickets went on sale, my local had 29 showings for opening Wed. Now they're on 34 showings. And 35 for Thu onwards...

Coupled with a higher % take than usual - it CAN be a successful release strategy. But you still need enough people to show up for all those screenings. It seems it's mostly selling premium format, with weak regular 2D. It will be interesting how the next week goes. South Korea will be critical. A potential 40 million there may just evaporate if cases increase and they decide to take strict measures. 

• ...wtf 1

I haven't sensed any pent-up demand for cinema-going in the UK, even though almost no-one's been for months. If it's at all successful it'll be a true WOM endeavor - not just because of the film's quality but simply people telling others it's fine to go to the movies again.

Edited by Hatebox

I honestly don't know what kind of numbers it'll make domestically because of the rapid changes day by day of what is opening and what is not. 

This is a must see though on a big screen and I definitely want to see it again in IMAX this time, but I don't think the ones near me will open at all for Tenet.

• Like 6

On 8/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, filmlover said:

WB must be praying for a miracle right now that California and New York will be allowed to open movie theaters again by the time this comes out. They make up over 20% of the box office sales in this country. Lot of potential money being left on the table.

Maybe the opposite. I think WB execs would prefer to cancel or seriously delay the release of this movie. Nolan is the one who wants it released ASAP so they are trying to fulfill his wishes. 

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I haven't sensed any pent-up demand for cinema-going in the UK, even though almost no-one's been for months. If it's at all successful it'll be a true WOM endeavor - not just because of the film's quality but simply people telling others it's fine to go to the movies again.

I’m feeling the hype in the U.K, and everyone I speak to is talking about it and wants to see it. 
I think the difference is we don’t know what’s going to happen from one day to the next with regards to local lockdowns etc.  Not that it’s mistrust particularly, but there’s still a sense of waiting until it’s actually out.  

As it’s the only film around, people will go once it arrives, I’ve no doubt. 

I had a few friends ask me how I found the experience of seeing Unhinged yesterday. So the curiosity is there. They’re thinking about it as they know the clock is ticking and a movie they have to see is round the corner. 

The showtimes do look like overkill as I’ll want to see something else within days of seeing it a couple of times. But....well let’s just see what happens. 

Reviews and ‘IN CINEMAS WEDNESDAY’ ads this weekend will cause a reaction I’m sure. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Thanks 1

I'll take a flyer on this film...

To show confidence in the theatrical market...

$200M+ DOM

$350M+ INT

$550M+ WW - a money maker from just the theatrical release:)...

Gonna be til Xmas if we can see if this pans out b/c my compare film will be The Greatest Showman - very low start, but just legged and legged and legged...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Maybe the opposite. I think WB execs would prefer to cancel or seriously delay the release of this movie. Nolan is the one who wants it released ASAP so they are trying to fulfill his wishes. 

I have to imagine that at the very least, execs are split on whether to release it or not. Nolan's big, but WB has the final say on release dates, and if they can't tell a creative "No," even one as big as Nolan, then Nolan must be the studio equivalent of Hydra.

As for grosses, I'm not sure what to expect. I could see anywhere around 300-400m WW right now, which is a very narrow range, I know. And that assumes other countries don't have to go back into lockdown. SK or China would be devastating blows. Think there's a legit scenario where those two territories make up nearly 50% of the gross.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

$200M+ DOM

$350M+ INT

Gonna be til Xmas if we can see if this pans out b/c my compare film will be The Greatest Showman - very low start, but just legged and legged and legged...

I think international numbers could be higher, especially if China goes mad on this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Wonder Woman is still set to open in October (though that would surely change if this release is a bust). WB is the only studio that's remained at least semi-confident the box office year 2020 can be at all salvaged, even though they also moved most of their slate for this year like Scoob (which went to VOD) and In the Heights (which was delayed an entire year) away.

As for the overload of showtimes this will be getting...what else do theaters have to fill their screens with? Even with theaters reopen, it's gonna be a while until multiplexes see a steady stream of new releases coming in again.

• Like 2

I wonder if Travis and Nolan met on Fortnite.

It's Scott's first foray into writing music for a film, but his contributions, says Nolan, were crucial. “His voice became the final piece of a yearlong puzzle,” the director tells me over email. “His insights into the musical and narrative mechanism [composer] Ludwig Göransson and I were building were immediate, insightful, and profound.”

Best song oscar locked up.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

$200M+ DOM

$350M+ INT

You are 100M high DOM

and 100M short INT

Though I will love 200M DOM, but if it is that good to have 200M DOM, INT will be 600.

• Like 2