Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder how many critics are gonna give it a worse review because of its release date. 

In America I can see this having some impact on reviews. It'll be hard to ignore, at any rate.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder how many critics are gonna give it a worse review because of its release date. 

seems like it's mostly british reviews ready to drop today. I think they'll be chill about that stuff, you gotta wait for the american publications for the "shame on you mr. nolan you're going to kill us all" flavour of reviews.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

seems like it's mostly british reviews ready to drop today. I think they'll be chill about that stuff, you gotta wait for the american publications for the "shame on you mr. nolan you're going to kill us all" flavour of reviews.

Sounds about right - similar to what we saw with the Joker violence/incel shit...

That's why I expect quite a big split between the US and others.

Also, in terms of actual screenings for critics, considering their release plan, do we know if they had fewer advance screenings in the US compared to other markets where it's opening wide earlier?

Well my 70+ year old parents in the UK will be seeing this on opening day. Probably not the best gauge of hype as they used to go to the cinema about once a week and have been desperate to see something new, but it was a nice reminder of a Before Times conversation about movie-going. When they asked me what it was about all I could reply was "time inversion."

"Oh," they said.

Edited by Hatebox

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wonder Woman appears to be sticking with its October release date (for now?) and will likely come under similar scrutiny considering it's certain that it would have been a $100M+ opener in an alternate universe where it opened in June as planned. Of course now no one knows how much it'll make. If this flops really hard we might see that and a bunch of other movies finally flee this year completely.

• Like 1

I suspect film critics will judge this based on artistic merit. Film critics are not health critics and nobody is being forced to go the theater, it is their own personal decision. Critics should stay in their lane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

I suspect film critics will judge this based on artistic merit. Film critics are not health critics and nobody is being forced to go the theater, it is their own personal decision. Critics should stay in their lane.

:hahaha:

I don’t think reviews will be really affected by it’s release date.

Critics know cinemas just needs to open again at this point, it’s a survival move. Of course it’s a delicate question and it is a questionable decision, but at the end of the day, it’s understandable, i don’t think it’s a Joker situation.

And also critics depends of cinemas surviving to keep their own jobs, so i can see people questioning the decision of releasing now and Nolan pressure to drop it, but not necessarily giving a bad review because of that.

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If they love their profession they should give it the most rave reviews of all time, or does they think people actually care about their opinion when it comes to VOD/Direct to Streaming releases? LMFAO.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Meh, the bottom line is we all have to make our own decisions about what we feel is safe for ourselves and our families(I won’t be going to a movie theatre this year). I’m not a person who reads reviews very often anyways but I’m definitely not going to a critic to get health advice. We all the know the risks involved with everything by now. 

• Like 2

Reviewers don't give a shit if cinemas survive.

Streaming works just as well for them.

And I think expecting them to not mention or tie in the current conditions into the review is naive. They SHOULD judge it based on its own merits and recommend seeing it or missing it based on that and leave the "when and how" to audiences, but, again, some of them won't.

• ...wtf 1