Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

11 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If they love their profession they should give it the most rave reviews of all time, or does they think people actually care about their opinion when it comes to VOD/Direct to Streaming releases? LMFAO.

Can we at least wait till the tomato-watch has officially started before going all in on the "wHo cARes aBoUT crItICs??!!"

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wonder Woman appears to be sticking with its October release date (for now?) and will likely come under similar scrutiny considering it's certain that it would have been a $100M+ opener in an alternate universe where it opened in June as planned. Of course now no one knows how much it'll make. If this flops really hard we might see that and a bunch of other movies finally flee this year completely.

I honestly can't Wonder Woman release in October at this point. If WB really wants Tenet to have the legs they seem to want it to have, they're gonna need to have the film have as little competition as possible and moving a movie like WW84 would work better for them imo.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I honestly can't Wonder Woman release in October at this point. If WB really wants Tenet to have the legs they seem to want it to have, they're gonna need to have the film have as little competition as possible and moving a movie like WW84 would work better for them imo.

I think @filmlover is spot on. Tenet is probably going to flop hard, and then we will see WB give up with Wonder Woman moving to next year. 

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

WB appears to be the only studio semi-committed to salvaging the movie year 2020 to an extent so they'll go ahead with the October release. Looking at the release schedule between now and November, there's not much set to come out, meaning there's plenty of room for these two to take advantage of the theater space.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

WB appears to be the only studio semi-committed to salvaging the movie year 2020 to an extent so they'll go ahead with the October release. Looking at the release schedule between now and November, there's not much set to come out, meaning there's plenty of room for these two to take advantage of the theater space.

Again, screen space means nothing if people aren't going to the cinema. Tenet is gonna be the make-or-break for the WW84 decision, I think. An outright disaster will definitely see them push WW. They can't burn their two biggest movies of the year like that...

• Like 2

Assuming Disney and Universal are more trigger happy with moving their November releases, I think WB is deciding between a November/December release for WW or just moving it entirely to 2021 depending on the success or lack thereof for Tenet.

Dune seems like they may want some extra time to complete the film as is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Assuming Disney and Universal are more trigger happy with moving their November releases, I think WB is deciding between a November/December release for WW or just moving it entirely to 2021 depending on the success or lack thereof for Tenet.

Dune seems like they may want some extra time to complete the film as is.

There's also the question of whether No Time to Die is gonna stick with November or not. For now Disney seems committed to Black Widow in November though that could change depending on the situation. Soul will likely end up going the Mulan route since there's already plenty of apprehension about schools reopening and the rule changes for this year means it gets to compete at the Oscars no matter what.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Can we at least wait till the tomato-watch has officially started before going all in on the "wHo cARes aBoUT crItICs??!!"

It's not about caring or not about their opinion, it's about logic, people care about their opinion because they don't want to left home (and spend a lot of money) watching a bad movie, the same can't applie when it comes to streaming movies, I doubt it generates the same traffic for their site when they write a review about a Netflix original.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'm mainly just curious to see if they are solid reviews. If that's the case, we have a pretty good idea of the movie's earning potential in normal times based on Nolan's previous sci-fi movies. Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of $200M domestic and $650-700M worldwide. But Nolan is the guy who really wanted to release his movie during a pandemic, so he can't entirely blame the virus if this thing flops hard with solid critic reviews and audience reception. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm mainly just curious to see if they are solid reviews. If that's the case, we have a pretty good idea of the movie's earning potential in normal times based on Nolan's previous sci-fi movies. Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of $200M domestic and $650-700M worldwide. But Nolan is the guy who really wanted to release his movie during a pandemic, so he can't entirely blame the virus if this thing flops hard with solid critic reviews and audience reception. 

It certainly feels like there's no middle-ground here: either this becomes a surprise sleeper smash that released at just the right time when the world was ready go back to movies... or it makes much, much less than it would have done just waiting a year. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Nolan and WB were discussing the pros and cons of going for it.

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think @filmlover is spot on. Tenet is probably going to flop hard, and then we will see WB give up with Wonder Woman moving to next year. 

With a budget of 200m and nolan taking 20% cut on the movie . I think WB knows tenet chances of profit are way low . I think they did this to please nolan who wants to save theatres and has been their cash cow.

So it depends;

Less than 450m - WW will definitely move.

500m+ - it could stay or move.

600m+ - stays.

Not saying WB don't want it  to make money but I don't think they would have released tenet now with most of us theatres closed if it wasn't for nolan . Chances of this movie flopping are still way higher  than breaking even or making profit.

Sure WB has a threshold in mind for tenet's box office to consider from whether to move or keep WW on its date.

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder how many critics are gonna give it a worse review because of its release date. 

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

In America I can see this having some impact on reviews. It'll be hard to ignore, at any rate.

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

seems like it's mostly british reviews ready to drop today. I think they'll be chill about that stuff, you gotta wait for the american publications for the "shame on you mr. nolan you're going to kill us all" flavour of reviews.

Just about every critic I follow complains against Disney's practices, yet the Marvel joints, Toy Story 4, and even Frozen II still did alright critically. Say what you will about those movies, and I'm sure the current climate will be mentioned in reviews, but I sincerely doubt the same people who are criticizing Nolan and WB for opening a movie will decide "you know I thought this movie was awesome, but I am physically unable to, because Nolan's kind of crazy".

I expected this kind of stuff to be said by dudes here whose entire personalities are "grrr critics bad", but I thought I knew you guys were smarter than this. Do better.

5 minutes ago, Eric the Unhinged said:

Just about every critic I follow complains against Disney's practices, yet the Marvel joints, Toy Story 4, and even Frozen II still did alright critically. Say what you will about those movies, and I'm sure the current climate will be mentioned in reviews, but I sincerely doubt the same people who are criticizing Nolan and WB for opening a movie will decide "you know I thought this movie was awesome, but I am physically unable to, because Nolan's kind of crazy".

I expected this kind of stuff to be said by dudes here whose entire personalities are "grrr critics bad", but I thought I knew you guys were smarter than this. Do better.

We are less than a year removed from most of the US Joker reviews being "It will promote violence and shouldn't be released". So they aren't that far off base here.

Right on cue

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Eric the Unhinged said:

I don't know what to tell you, but... I stand by it. There's never been anything like this before and no piece of art is reviewed in a vacuum. It's not like I think it'll turn what would have been raves into maulings, but american critics have historically been harsher on Nolan movies than their european counterparts and many on twitter have already said they're flummoxed by this release schedule. It'd be impossible for that not to seep in a little. Doesn't mean they're bad at their job: I agree with them!

Edited by Hatebox
  • Thanks 1