Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Just now, grim22 said:

We are less than a year removed from most of the US Joker reviews being "It will promote violence and shouldn't be released". So they aren't that far off base here.

Ah yes...one example out of the thousands of movies that get reviewed every year. And it's not like it's unfounded. They were analyzing the content within the movie, the film's potentially hurtful depiction of mental health, and looked at it in a broad context. You could argue they looked at the film outside of its content, but I don't really think looking at what the movie showcases and how it impacts people is at all a problem when reviewing something. Tenet's issue is something out of its control, and I feel confident in saying that while the pandemic might get mentioned in many reviews, it won't impact review scores much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even if this flops it's not like their relationship with Nolan would end because of it. He's their favorite director right now and has made more than enough hits to withstand one potential big financial loss.

That's correct. WB wants him to be a WB director for the rest of his career. And if they choose to pass on his ideas in the future, other studios will gladly scoop him up. 

2 minutes ago, Eric the Unhinged said:

Ah yes...one example out of the thousands of movies that get reviewed every year. And it's not like it's unfounded. They were analyzing the content within the movie, the film's potentially hurtful depiction of mental health, and looked at it in a broad context. You could argue they looked at the film outside of its content, but I don't really think looking at what the movie showcases and how it impacts people is at all a problem when reviewing something. Tenet's issue is something out of its control, and I feel confident in saying that while the pandemic might get mentioned in many reviews, it won't impact review scores much.

It had nothing to do with depictions of mental health though, it was just "people will shoot up theaters due to this movie". There's a difference between the context you are trying to put forward and what actually happened.

This was the EW review for example

Which is not to say that the vast majority of grown adults who see the film won’t be able to recognize that, or differentiate between Hollywood fiction and real life. But in a moment when internet culture can cancel a movie as minor as The Hunt for fomenting “anger and hate,” the wider impact Joker is poised to make seems far more dangerous. And the idea that even one viewer might take its convictions at face value, and then act on them, feels like no joke at all.

It was literal fear mongering in a review.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We are less than a year removed from most of the US Joker reviews being "It will promote violence and shouldn't be released". So they aren't that far off base here.

Right on cue

And there it is. I think it's naive to believe that line of thinking will not impact some of the reviews. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

And there it is. I think it's naive to believe that line of thinking will not impact some of the reviews. 

Exactly. 

And that is simply pathetic. Skip the review then. Abstain. Decide either personally or as a publication, to simply not write anything about it.

If you are "struggling", let's see if your struggle is worth more than the ad revenue from the click bait you're about to post.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It had nothing to do with depictions of mental health though, it was just "people will shoot up theaters due to this movie". There's a difference between the context you are trying to put forward and what actually happened.

This was the EW review for example

It was literal fear mongering in a review.

That's...what I was saying? The content of the movie may cause awful implications, and the writer felt he should have mentioned it. Obviously that didn't happen, and thank goodness, but it's again taking the content from the movie and looking at it from a broad context. Joker's potential shootings could happen because of what the movie represented and said, albeit at face value, so it was mentioned. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I doubt people are going to say bad things about Tenet solely because it's releasing in theaters.

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Exactly. 

And that is simply pathetic. Skip the review then. Abstain. Decide either personally or as a publication, to simply not write anything about it.

If you are "struggling", let's see if your struggle is worth more than the ad revenue from the click bait you're about to post.

If you actually read the article, he said he's not planning on reviewing it. He even says he's not against people going out to see the movie. He's just talking about the safety of movie theaters and using the big tentpole release set to come out in a couple weeks as a jumping-off point. And with American theater chains just coming back today, yeah it's kind of a relevant topic for entertainment people to talk about.

18 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Exactly. 

Lmao did you write that "off the record" press release from WB that demanded journalists only give good coverage to Tenet?

"Coverage" is broader than a review. You can give the movie a positive review as a self-contained work and also be publicly critical of the decision to release it, if you're so inclined. I doubt many reviewers will be noticeably swayed in one direction or the other, and besides it's not exactly hard to see it when someone starts reviewing external circumstances rather than the movie itself, in which case it's just as easy to ignore that person and save your attention for whoever is not falling into that trap. 

• Like 1