Jump to content
Snake Eric

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Presumably it’s because when they open it in places like CA/NY they will want to make a big splash about it. Opening it exclusively in drive in theatres first would definitely mute the wider opening if people had been able to see it at a drive in for weeks already.

Might also be in the deal made with the big 3 and why Tenet gets such long screen holds and high revenue...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My god, what a frustrating experience. Frustrating and soulless with next to zero return of investment. Jesus Christ there's nothing to it. The people I went with hate me now for dragging them to this.

  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lucas said:

My god, what a frustrating experience. Frustrating and soulless with next to zero return of investment. Jesus Christ there's nothing to it. The people I went with hate me now for dragging them to this.

Complete opposite experience from you, went with 2 other buddies who are not cinephiles and they loved it along with myself. Spoiler discussions will be interesting for sure lol. My only complaints are some lost, seemingly important dialogue underneath the blaring score, a certain character being irrelevant after Part 1 AKA Exposition Station, and the quick 180 to hard science fiction at the end but the latter might come across better on second viewing just how the tesseract in Interstellar played much better on subsequent viewings.

 

edit: pissed that I couldn't see it in true 70mm IMAX since the only true one near me is still closed. I definitely will rewatch this in the largest real IMAX possible. Dolby would be interesting too. 

 

edit 2: Best action Nolan has ever filmed, this will be the the least arguable aspect of the movie possible. Prior to seeing this I didnt see a single review fault the execution of the action scenes and after seeing it the reason is because it's impossible to. Regardless of the story the action is impeccable and I was surprised Nolan could pull of these forward-backward fight scenes, car chase, etc. The opening scene and last 30 minutes are wild. He's come a long way since the Batman days.

 

My CURRENT ranking of Nolan top 5 movies, I need to rewatch TENET at least 1-2 more times before knowing where it really stands:

 

Inception

TDK

Interstellar

Memento

TENET or Dunkirk

Edited by Reckoning55
words
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

My god, what a frustrating experience. Frustrating and soulless with next to zero return of investment. Jesus Christ there's nothing to it. The people I went with hate me now for dragging them to this.

I always feel super guilty after dragging people to a bad movie.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reckoning55 said:

Complete opposite experience from you, went with 2 other buddies who are not cinephiles and they loved it along with myself. Spoiler discussions will be interesting for sure lol. My only complaints are some lost, seemingly important dialogue underneath the blaring score, a certain character being irrelevant after Part 1 AKA Exposition Station, and the quick 180 to hard science fiction at the end but the latter might come across better on second viewing just how the tesseract in Interstellar played much better on subsequent viewings.

 

edit: pissed that I couldn't see it in true 70mm IMAX since the only true one near me is still closed. I definitely will rewatch this in the largest real IMAX possible. Dolby would be interesting too. 

 

edit 2: Best action Nolan has ever filmed, this will be the the least arguable aspect of the movie possible. Prior to seeing this I didnt see a single review fault the execution of the action scenes and after seeing it the reason is because it's impossible to. Regardless of the story the action is impeccable and I was surprised Nolan could pull of these forward-backward fight scenes, car chase, etc. The opening scene and last 30 minutes are wild. He's come a long way since the Batman days.

 

By the 5th or 6th time characters were walking down generic streets explaining things at each other I was already done with it. Same by the 5th or 6th time characters were having dinner as they explain things at each other. Nolan has absolutely no idea where to put these unnecessary and needless exposition dumps so it becomes the same scene over and over again. I had no trouble understanding Inception or Interstellar on a first viewing, I genuinely don't think it's just a matter of seeing it again for Tenet. It is just terribly constructed and feels like it has been edited to death. I got actual Bohemian Rhapsody flashbacks from some of these shot-reverse-shot dinner scenes.

 

I thought the action in this was a total 180 from his Dark Knight Rises days where it finally seemed like Nolan had figured out how to do action. I found one action scene to be alright, it was interesting, but then everything else ranged from dull to flat out terrible with the worst sense of geography or narrative clarity I've ever seen from him.

Spoiler

How he can show us a literal map of the setpiece before it happens, and still brutally fuck up geography is astounding.

6 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

I always feel super guilty after dragging people to a bad movie.

Ahahaha, I certainly know what you mean.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I got a feelng this might be the most divisive movie Nolan has ever done.

Wonder if he might have finally carried his bag of tricks too far for the general audience.

I honestly don't even think he had a bag of tricks for this one, it was desperately in need of more than one.

  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I got a feelng this might be the most divisive movie Nolan has ever done.

Wonder if he might have finally carried his bag of tricks too far for the general audience.

 

Interstellar had a lot of passionate defenders and haters, so maybe Tenet won't be quite as polarizing but I do think it's gonna end up being his most mixed, where most people aren't gonna have strong feelings one way or another.

Edited by MrPink
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

By the 5th or 6th time characters were walking down generic streets explaining things at each other I was already done with it. Same by the 5th or 6th time characters were having dinner as they explain things at each other. Nolan has absolutely no idea where to put these unnecessary and needless exposition dumps so it becomes the same scene over and over again. I had no trouble understanding Inception or Interstellar on a first viewing, I genuinely don't think it's just a matter of seeing it again for Tenet. It is just terribly constructed and feels like it has been edited to death. I got actual Bohemian Rhapsody flashbacks from some of these shot-reverse-shot dinner scenes.

 

I thought the action in this was a total 180 from his Dark Knight Rises days where it finally seemed like Nolan had figured out how to do action. I found one action scene to be alright, it was interesting, but then everything else ranged from dull to flat out terrible with the worst sense of geography or narrative clarity I've ever seen from him.

  Reveal hidden contents

Ahahaha, I certainly know what you mean.

 

🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

 

🤔

Batman and Bane's first fight is where he finally figured out to pull the camera back and hold on shots for the fist fights. We get the spacial geography of the scene and it's so much better to look at, and Batman being way out of his depth is properly established and we feel ever punch he takes. Not every action scene in the movie is that good, but he was certainly getting there, now Tenet feels like a monumental step back in basic geography and clearly established motivations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Batman and Bane's first fight is where he finally figured out to pull the camera back and hold on shots for the fist fights. We get the spacial geography of the scene and it's so much better to look at, and Batman being way out of his depth is properly established and we feel ever punch he takes. Not every action scene in the movie is that good, but he was certainly getting there, now Tenet feels like a monumental step back in basic geography and clearly established motivations.

 

I can't speak for Tenet obviously and it could very well be a while, so don't take it as a dismissal of your experience.

 

With regards to Dark Knight Rises, you're not wrong in that the shots lasted longer than especially the other Batman films and does seem to be pulled back a bit, but the details of what's happening within the frame could often feel sloppy, to the point of being a detriment. The Bane/Batman scene does carry weight to it, to its credit.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, antovolk said:

 

 

Given how much of an impact the drive-in theaters had this past weekend for Unhinged, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. The numbers will be completely screwed regardless, so it will be hard to tell how much of that is due to this issue with the drive-in theaters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Batman and Bane's first fight is where he finally figured out to pull the camera back and hold on shots for the fist fights. We get the spacial geography of the scene and it's so much better to look at, and Batman being way out of his depth is properly established and we feel ever punch he takes. Not every action scene in the movie is that good, but he was certainly getting there, now Tenet feels like a monumental step back in basic geography and clearly established motivations.

I have to disagree completely. The movie does do a better job with establishing the geography but it has some terrible choreography where each and every punch certainly looks fake. This scene is probably the worst action sequence in a Nolan film imo:

And there's the Bane fight scene in the sewer where you can easily see neither actor has no clue what to do (although Hardy seems more confident than Bale) and the lighting makes it harder to even see what's going on at times. It's like Nolan just told the actors to throw random punches around and said that's it for the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The spoilers justification WB is using here is fucking hilarious, this is all to do with indoor theaters in NY or CA being no doubt furious at driveins getting weeks if not months head start on the film.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

 

Given how much of an impact the drive-in theaters had this past weekend for Unhinged, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. The numbers will be completely screwed regardless, so it will be hard to tell how much of that is due to this issue with the drive-in theaters. 

Agreed. Unhinged's 5 highest grossing locations were all drive-ins. Honestly, by not showing it in NY or CA including the drive-ins will have a big impact on OW. I believe there are 30 something drive-ins in CA and I'm pretty sure every screen would be playing Tenet. That's enough to wipe out $2-5M easily. Anyway, I would not be surprised at all if Tenet opens to less than New Mutants in the US. I guess we shall see though. Right now, I'm thinking $7.5M for Mutants. I was close with my $4.7M Unhinged prediction, but every release is uncharted territory, so I have no idea what to think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Agreed. Unhinged's 5 highest grossing locations were all drive-ins. Honestly, by not showing it in NY or CA including the drive-ins will have a big impact on OW. I believe there are 30 something drive-ins in CA and I'm pretty sure every screen would be playing Tenet. That's enough to wipe out $2-5M easily. Anyway, I would not be surprised at all if Tenet opens to less than New Mutants in the US. I guess we shall see though. Right now, I'm thinking $7.5M for Mutants. I was close with my $4.7M Unhinged prediction, but every release is uncharted territory, so I have no idea what to think.

New Mutants isn't gonna open to more just because it has drive ins lol. I really don't see Tenet opening to less than New Mutants.

Edited by lorddemaxus
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.