Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

On 8/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Gcsin20 said:

Have booked to see Tenet a 2nd time this Thursday and I’m sure I’ll change my opinion after that, but for the moment I’d say:

1. The Prestige

2. Inception

3. Tenet

4. Memento

5. The Dark Knight 

6. Dunkirk

7. Interstellar

8. Batman Begins

9. The Dark Knight Rises

10. Insomnia 

The sound mixing being genuinely terrible I’ve forgiven but if it bugs me again I might move Tenet down a bit, we’ll see. 

Ok Tenet is now top 2 for me, that was incredible!! Seeing how everything connects and fully understanding the story the 2nd time is extremely rewarding. Even the sound mixing issues were less noticeable and I could make out everything except for moments in 2 specific scenes. Definite top tier Nolan film 🙌

Edited by Gcsin20
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

I watched it the second time tonight. Before I booked the screening I had to make sure they have subtitles, so they give me one of those Captiview machines you put in the drink holder so that it won't obstruct other viewers and guess what?

HOLY SHIT! The first time I saw this movie I was so CONFUSED. Aside from the visuals nothing really made sense, everything else was confusing. 

But tonight, with the subtitles, everything actually made sense and it hit so different when I can finally understand what the hell was going on. I don't think Nolan lost his touch, he just made a more complex film. Yes, Interstellar and Inception were confusing at first, but this one is more confusing than those at first watch. 

Crazy how this movie blew my mind away on the second watch, it felt like I was watching it again for the first time.

• Like 8
  • Disbelief 1

It’s like an out of body experience in the second viewing. You’re outside the film and aware of everything going on. 

How did Nolan know to make the perfect film for repeat viewing in a COVID world?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Juby said:

Sow it yesterday. For me it's the weakest from all Christopher Nolan's films. Visually great, action and tension are fine, but the characters (excepts amazing Pattinson and good Debicki) are weak, the story is too convoluted, and the sci-fi concept is very confusing. Watching fights and chases scenes was great, but all the rest very tiresome (even dialog scene, like with Michael Caine). I also don't like the music (or whatever this sounds are). 6/10

I don't think it would be a huge hit. Even pre-pandemic i can't imagine Inception numbers. Incetpion was larger, more entertaining, more satisfying. I don't think people would wont to see it for the second, third time, as they did with Inception.

for every one person that doesn’t want to see it multiple times, there will be someone that does. I’ll see this more times in the cinema than I did Inception. 

I don’t think the story is too convoluted at all. By design it is there for you to unpick with multiple viewings. Which for me is heaven sent. I appreciate some won’t want that from it and that’s fine, but I don’t feel that’s a fair criticism at its intentions. If something is made with a certain intention then you can’t criticise it for what it isn’t - in my opinion. 

Tenet will only get more satisfying the more you watch it. If you want to invest that much time in it. If you don’t, then you’re not going to love it maybe as much as some of his other films that go down easily after maybe one viewing. The guy is clearly obsessed with tackling the very fabric of traditional storytelling, and that’s not something that’s going to be easy to pull off for people that haven’t even contemplated half of the ideas this film throws at them. 

Some movies objectively don’t work and some work perfectly. This one is absolutely the latter, but subjectively that might not be one person’s cup of tea - and that’s fine. 

I’ve just got back from a second viewing and, as expected, it plays totally differently once you know where it’s going. That’s only going to get even better the third, fourth, fifth time. 

I read a review earlier that said it ‘should’ have more romance in it? That’s just one viewer adding convention, rather than just appreciating and consuming what was intended.  When you’re presented with something both familiar and yet totally brand new, well that’s a real challenge to people. For me, it’s what I go to the movies for....to see something I might never have experienced before. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

for every one person that doesn’t want to see it multiple times, there will be someone that does

I will definitely want to see it again if, for no other reason, then to see if I enjoy it more. There's enough intriguing and the ending leaves me on a high enough point to want a rewatch. That's more than I can say for a lot of blockbusters, especially superhero movies to be honest. I'll watch it again not because I love it, but because it intrigues me. So, I suppose it's effective in that respect.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Still debating whether or not I'm going.

I don't like that people can remove their masks once seated. What's to prevent them from coughing their heart out all movie long?

Try a different chain maybe? In Cineworld, you need to keep your mask on throughout the film. 

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Try a different chain maybe? In Cineworld, you need to keep your mask on throughout the film. 

unless you're eating/drinking....

The only UK venue I think that wouldn't have that is the Barbican?

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Do a quick search for Cineworld on twitter and you’ll find plenty of people complaining about people sitting through the film without masks on. Cineworld is honestly the absolute last chain I’d go to at the moment.

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Do a quick search for Cineworld on twitter and you’ll find plenty of people complaining about people sitting through the film without masks on. Cineworld is honestly the absolute last chain I’d go to at the moment.

Everyone wore masks in my screening, and I think I only saw one teen without a mask in the whole building.

I think, like everything else, experiences will vary.

• Like 1

I can’t wait. I will be going to the theaters for the first time in several months to see Tenet (IMAX) in the States.

My local theater has done a good job in implementing safety measures. If I’m wearing a mask, gloves and I’m distanced from others, there is low risk.

• Like 1