Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

58 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Reading some reviews. Reception on reddit is mixed, mostly bad.  I even read a review on imdb from a guy that said Unhinged was better! The horror!!! Nolan, what have you done?

Looks I'm not the only one with this kind of unpopular opinion. I must say I liked Unhinged about as much as Tenet, maybe even a little more too. Nolan disappointed here, I really thought he will save this year with one truly great film, not just 7/10 film.

Edited by Firepower

55 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Reading some reviews. Reception on reddit is mixed, mostly bad.  I even read a review on imdb from a guy that said Unhinged was better! The horror!!! Nolan, what have you done?

Stop reading reddit and especially imdb.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mldardy said:

Stop reading reddit and especially imdb.

Reddit is bad (but not as bad as letterboxd), but imdb is ok, its core audience is an average movie viewer, not some pretentious filmtwitter asses, and it feels a lot better because of that.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I thought it was a pretty good but convoluted movie. Nolan's style is bombastic and you need to understand that fact when going in.

I didn't have to shout against an annoying teenager so I consider this evening a success already.

I just wish the 1st act was better.

Really curious to see what shape the box office will take

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I thought it was a pretty good but convoluted movie. Nolan's style is bombastic and you need to understand that fact when going in.

I didn't have to shout against an annoying teenager so I consider this evening a success already.

I just wish the 1st act was better.

Really curious to see what shape the box office will take

Keep hearing so many different things. One podcast I heard said he liked it until the 3rd act.

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Reddit is bad (but not as bad as letterboxd), but imdb is ok, its core audience is an average movie viewer, not some pretentious filmtwitter asses, and it feels a lot better because of that.

I kid a little bit. I actually like Reddit because I get a lot of info from many of their subs. Not the crazy subs but sports, movies, tv subs. Imdb has always seem semi-racist and sexist.

Cant wait to see this again in one of the only theaters actually playing this in 1570 IMAX film. I saw it in LieMAX with a decent dimensioned screen but it just doesn't hit the same. 

Nolan movies are meant to be seen in the best quality possible. I've seen every single one of his films since TDK in the best theater possible at that time.

• Like 1

One thing already notable. American spoiler culture is already intent on ruining the movie for themselves. Even the non-spoiler reviews give away way too much. A shame. 
If, like me, you’ve stayed away completely then you’ll have the film that’s been designed for you - rather than have all the fun of discovery taken away. 

sure there are people that can’t wait, but there’s way too many reviews/blogs that are so easy to stumble upon without even realising it. 

Then you’ve Jeff Wells copying and pasting Vulture’s plot summary, justifying it because he’s heard the sound isn’t great.  He’s basically ruined most of the fun for his readers right there, let alone that vulture even posted it in the first place. Embarassing. 

Imagine if Sixth Sense had opened in the YouTube/social networking age. Uggghhh

Vulture even have an entire spoiler piece up explaining everything - to serve those that won’t see it because of the pandemic? It’s just gross. No respect for anybody but clicks. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

One thing already notable. American spoiler culture is already intent on ruining the movie for themselves. Even the non-spoiler reviews give away way too much. A shame. 
If, like me, you’ve stayed away completely then you’ll have the film that’s been designed for you - rather than have all the fun of discovery taken away. 

sure there are people that can’t wait, but there’s way too many reviews/blogs that are so easy to stumble upon without even realising it. 

Then you’ve Jeff Wells copying and pasting Vulture’s plot summary, justifying it because he’s heard the sound isn’t great.  He’s basically ruined most of the fun for his readers right there, let alone that vulture even posted it in the first place. Embarrassing. 

Imagine if Sixth Sense had opened in the YouTube/social networking age. Uggghhh

Vulture even have an entire spoiler piece up explaining everything - to serve those that won’t see it because of the pandemic? It’s just gross. No respect for anybody but clicks. 

bingo and why the whole thing with releasing it now is so fucking infuriating (as someone who's not confident about heading back into indoor cinemas yet). At least there is a way to read it all as Nolan written it - the screenplay book is out on the 3rd. If not for the drive-in option - trekking 150 or so miles roundtrip tonight for this - I would have gone for that.

14 minutes ago, antovolk said:

bingo and why the whole thing with releasing it now is so fucking infuriating (as someone who's not confident about heading back into indoor cinemas yet). At least there is a way to read it all as Nolan written it - the screenplay book is out on the 3rd. If not for the drive-in option - trekking 150 or so miles roundtrip tonight for this - I would have gone for that.

As I stated before in this thread, I think the movie is about a 7/10 - but it is definitely something you have to SEE. Reading about it, whether it's a synopsis, full spoiler breakdown or the screenplay is pointless. The visuals are its strongest point. The execution of all of these in-camera effects, seeing Nolan clearly in command of a big logistical operation that required actual great stunt work and physical effects... That *IS* the movie and when you strip it down to what you read on a page, you may as well not bother. I don't mean this in relation to you specifically, just anyone in general reading spoilers and judging it based on that exclusively.

Edited by reddevil19

32 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

As I stated before in this thread, I think the movie is about a 7/10 - but it is definitely something you have to SEE. Reading about it, whether it's a synopsis, full spoiler breakdown or the screenplay is pointless. The visuals are its strongest point. The execution of all of these in-camera effects, seeing Nolan clearly in command of a big logistical operation that required actual great stunt work and physical effects... That *IS* the movie and when you strip it down to what you read on a page, you may as well not bother. I don't mean this in relation to you specifically, just anyone in general reading spoilers and judging it based on that exclusively.

For a film which, on first viewing, has you going "wow, what the hell is going on...how is that happening" and then the discovery - that IS the movie.  To watch the set pieces for the first time, already having spoilt the HOW from a narrative sense, renders it just another movie.  You're meant to experience it through the central character's bewilderment.  

I can liken it to things like Fight Club, The Matrix, Usual Suspects etc - where knowing where it's all headed and the why of it all - it just becomes a passive thing.  

Go back to most of Nolan's movies and imagine watching them for the first time knowing everything that happens beforehand - completely devalues the design of them.

Edited by wildphantom