Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

This movie is a mouthful to take in on first watch. It's good, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was "enjoyable" since I felt like I was running to keep up for a lot of it. However, I imagine a second viewing would be absolutely amazing.

Dialogue is hard to hear sometimes. Action is absolutely spectacular, but if I want to compare this to Inception, the characters here are much weaker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

This movie is a mouthful to take in on first watch. It's good, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was "enjoyable" since I felt like I was running to keep up for a lot of it. However, I imagine a second viewing would be absolutely amazing.

Dialogue is hard to hear sometimes. Action is absolutely spectacular, but if I want to compare this to Inception, the characters here are much weaker.

Every single person I talked to who has seen it a 2nd time says it is absolutely better than first viewing no matter how much you liked or disliked it initially. 

It makes sense especially since the very end changes your entire perception of the events leading up to it. I can only imagine it's extremely easy to follow after you know where it ends up. Seeing it again this weekend so I'll have more input then.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Reckoning55 said:

Every single person I talked to who has seen it a 2nd time says it is absolutely better than first viewing no matter how much you liked or disliked it initially. 

It makes sense especially since the very end changes your entire perception of the events leading up to it. I can only imagine it's extremely easy to follow after you know where it ends up. Seeing it again this weekend so I'll have more input then.

I might watch it again, but given that $ is tight right now, I'm not sure if it will be in theatres or not, depending if some friends want to watch it.

So so sorry to report that my drive in experience with this was utterly terrible. Now, the one I'm heading to next week where I had a great time with Unhinged might fare a lot better since that's an LED screen and not DCP projector which means they might get a more appropriate copy of the film to screen (perhaps the home video version?) but - coupled with all the existing audio mix issues people are talking about like the dialogue which are magnified even more here, FM just cannot handle the (theatrical mix's) score and anything louder than calm dialogue scenes. Even the end credits Travis Scott song was crackling and distorting throughout. Felt like I didn't even watch the film in all honesty. Especially disappointing given how much I put hopes in this option given, you know, all that's happening, plus a 150 mile round trip.

But otherwise, from what I saw....fuck I need to see it properly. It's nuts. And love how it just progressively gets batshit insane. The pacing and build is brilliant. But again I need to see it properly to form a proper judgement on it 

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably because there are another 300-400 reviews to go, based on other big budget films in the last couple years. 

That hasn't stopped other films from being certified fresh early, but given the weird distribution of reviews (not very many US ones due to the later release/pandemic), I suspect that's part of the hesitance. Still, I don't think Interstellar was ever really at this point percentage wise, maybe close to it average critic score, so I imagine Tenet will end up certified fresh in due time unless it has a Joker like dichotomy between state-side reviews and overseas.

• Like 1

So, a couple days after we saw the movie, still discussing it with my bf and that rarely happens, as he's a "watch it once and move on" sort of person. But it kept his attention throughout and he still brings it up. So, yeah, it's definitely a movie that is drawing some people back, wanting to see it again and get a clearer picture. Not for everyone, sure, and I expect a lot of those rewatches WILL be to "clarify the plot" or "re-evaluate" as opposed to just "loved it, wanna see it again", but that still speaks to the intriguing nature of it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

There are no theaters open in my area anyway, but I would be waiting for home video even if they were.

One good thing is, it does sound like it's going to be a big advantage to be able to turn on the subtitles for a first viewing of this film!

Honestly, I'll take the huge screen and loud sound over audible dialogue, as it's mostly nonsense exposition anyway. The sensory downgrade from a big screen to a TV (even if it's a giant TV) will be immense.

• Like 2

Just got back from one of the UK drive in’s that are showing this. I’d by lying if I said I took it all in and it definitely needs repeat viewings to fully follow it, but I was entertained throughout and the action scenes were great. It does have a bit of exposition overload though, it’s not that it’s “bad” exposition, it’s just a lot to take in at times, and the film doesn’t really stop to let you absorb it. I’m sure it’d make more sense on rewatches though, once you know where it’s going I’d imagine it all slots in to place.

As for the drive in experience, It was the Newark Nightflix that I attended which was showing it on DCP, and I was pleasantly surprised! I got there as the gates opened so I was right at the front, the picture quality was just as good as an indoor cinema and the sound was actually unexpectedly clear, I was fully expecting a lot of crackling, but it was crystal clear through my car speakers, there were the odd moments where the dialogue was a bit hard to hear due to the score but nothing that affected my enjoyment of the film. I’d 100% go there again and would recommend it to anyone else in the UK who doesn’t want to venture back to indoor cinemas. Fingers crossed they stick around for the likes of Wonder Woman 1984 and Bond (if they keep to their dates...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imdb rating 8.0 already sugguest that the film is not in usual Nolan ballpark. The only other films below it are Dunkirk 7.9 , following 7.5 and insomnia 7.2. Being at 8.0 and at the rate it is falling , it is more or less destined to fall below following. 

I personally believe imdb is best indicator out there as it mostly comes from common audience. Interstellar imdb rating indicate that it was imminsely loved by audience right from day 1 , unlike the opinion that it was divesrsely recieved or gradually loved over time. If it was true , it would have never stayed at imdb top 30.

Went through lot of reviews and understood that film is too fast paced to pick up things clearly , lacks character , drama , connect. This sounds more similar to Dunkirk than any other Nolan films.

Few reactions here also suggest that they didnot like fim whole heartedly , trying too hard to like it. I think it's a sort of film that people really want to like it but it's not just there. I went this part through with Dunkirk , tried really hard to like it as inception , interstellar with all the glorious reviews thinking I was at some fault , but it was not just there , finally imdb 7.9 indicated it. After Dunkirk , I clearly came to conclusion that there is no point in trying hard to like a movie and critics reviews are no good measure how much audience like the film or how good the film is. This time , I will not try hard for Tenet and let my instincts flow whenever I watch it.

53 minutes ago, Nostalgia said:

I personally believe imdb is best indicator out there as it mostly comes from common audience.

That is completely inaccurate.

There are franchises and directors that come in with huge numbers of fanboys and detractors and, as such, ratings for it on the likes of IMDb are meaningless.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

There are franchises and directors that come in with huge numbers of fanboys and detractors and, as such, ratings for it on the likes of IMDb are meaningless.

Yes, IMDB is a fan boys paradise who more often than not prioritize cool plot, cool character over artistry. 

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Well liking a content is subjective but IMDb IMO is best there is for checking a film. Yeah there are few exceptions but its so much better than Rotten Tomatoes which is like opinion of 400 people while on IMDb its millions of voters.

Again liking anything is subjective. Something which you or me like may be trash for many. Something good for others could be trash.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1