Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, Reckoning55 said:

Amazing practical effects, cinematography, and sound with a bombastic score that sends chills down your spine to the point it even overshadows the dialogue at points lmao.

OK, but why is this a problem with his films almost every-single-f'in-time?? 

(There are numerous notices/complaints already in this thread about this one.)

I'm convinced half the reason Nolan doesn't win Oscars is because the Academy is seriously dumbfounded that he and his people can't get sound and dialogue right for people to hear across different theaters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'm convinced half the reason Nolan doesn't win Oscars is because the Academy is seriously dumbfounded that he and his people can't get sound and dialogue right for people to hear across different theaters.

Nah, I would guess his insistence on convoluted plot is a bigger issue. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Maybe so...But Richard King's won three Oscars for Sound Editing and Gary Rizzo has won two for SOund Mixing off Nolan movies (and they've been nominated pretty much for all of them from TDK onwards). Reckon Nolan needs to go "Hang on a minute, fuck you guys it's my turn. NEXT ONE - IT'S ALL ADR!"

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see much of a point in even having the Oscars next year. 2020 hasn’t exactly had a very strong lineup of quality films. 

I’ve seen at least half a dozen fantastic films in the last few months that went straight to VOD. Let alone all the ones we’ve got coming in the next few months on Netflix etc. I think it’ll end up a very strong Oscar year for movies. 

• Like 1

Nolan directs the hell out of Tenet, and I personally thought it was fantastic. 

Not sure about a lock for the major categories though. 

The only lock to date for a director nod would be Spike Lee. Other than that it’s up for grabs and there’s tons of films coming from big time directors. 

I’ve always seen Spielberg’s West Side Story as the one to beat, so we’ll see how that shakes out. The guy has mastered every other genre and I cannot wait to see how he’s shot this. I bet Nolan can’t either. 

• Like 2

This isn't getting any nominations beyond the tech ones, and even then I think it only has a shot at them because of the year we're in. Visual effects, sound, and possibly score are pretty much the only ones I can see happening. Production design if they're insane, but then again they'd have to be insane to nominate the sound mix too.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This isn't getting any nominations beyond the tech ones, and even then I think it only has a shot at them because of the year we're in. Visual effects, sound, and possibly score are pretty much the only ones I can see happening. Production design if they're insane, but then again they'd have to be insane to nominate the sound mix too.

Is the production design bad?

Sound nomination will happen, regardless of whatever issues people are having with it (haven't seen this yet so no idea). That's one of the few categories that really favors blockbusters and most of the movies that would've been in contention for nominations (A Quiet Place, Top Gun, etc.) moved well into next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Is the production design bad?

No, and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively dumb in this regard, that is without question. Production design nominations go beyond subjective crap like "what you can see" because the people who VOTE are WORKERS IN THE GUILD. Every single person knows what goes on behind the scenes for a Nolan production.

They shot in several different countries with on location set design and built one of the largest war sets in movie history for a very important sequence in the film. Once that happened the production design nom and likely win was locked.

All technical noms are a lock for TENET +/- director

Edited by Reckoning55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve seen at least half a dozen fantastic films in the last few months that went straight to VOD. Let alone all the ones we’ve got coming in the next few months on Netflix etc. I think it’ll end up a very strong Oscar year for movies. 

But none of them making significant headline buzz like Tenet, not even match to Netflix own Marraige Story.

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dune for the win, please! Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress (don't think Ferguson would make an Actress cut but she should solidly make Supporting), Supporting Actor (Stellan or Bardem), Adapted, Editing, Cinematography, all sounds, SFX, costume design, production design, score. 

Once they know Dune still has part 2 to go, they will just give technical award to Dune

I think Tenet has a shot at another BP nomination for Nolan , 82% RT score with 7.29/10 rating is already good enough for the line-up. Plus, most of the contender debut during the major film festival. Last year,7 out of 9 nominees have their debut and buzz built during film festival, including joker. In 2018, 5 out of 8 was film festival player before they roll into Oscar.

This year, the buzz from film festival circuit will likely weaker due to the capacity control with Cannes cancelled. This will give regular theater player more space for the competition. 

Plus, WB has been known for pushing their blockbuster into Oscar field, see gravity, mad max, dunkirk, a star is born, joker. I am sure they will leverage on cinema saviour narrative for Nolan's Oscar campaign. 

Dune will be biggest competition for tenet in term of blockbuster player. 

• Like 1

The thing with a lot of Oscar Nominations is that where one reads "Best (insert category)", we should in fact be reading "Most (insert category". The Oscars don't usually reward subtlety. So the winner for best Sound is usually the loudest film, the winners for acting are usually the most showy roles and winners for production design are usually the most obviously extravagantly designed. For better or worse