Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

13 hours ago, Merkel said:

I don't think a movie requiring at least two viewings to understand its plot is necessarily a good sign. To understand its themes, aesthetic, message and most importantly, story, sure. But not plot

Not necessarily a bad sign either. Movies are meant to be examined and enjoyed over a lifetime. Perhaps there's something wrong with modern day society that just wants quick meaningless excitement and never rewatches movies.

If you actually are a cinephile or even enjoy movies then you should absolutely look forward to watching movies more than once.

I've never seen a major film only once. I typically will watch at least 2-3 times in the theater then more on Blu-Ray.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reckoning55 said:

Not necessarily a bad sign either. Movies are meant to be examined and enjoyed over a lifetime. Perhaps there's something wrong with modern day society that just wants quick meaningless excitement and never rewatches movies.

If you actually are a cinephile or even enjoy movies then you should absolutely look forward to watching movies more than once.

I've never seen a major film only once. I typically will watch at least 2-3 times in the theater then more on Blu-Ray.

I agree to a certain extent but I also wouldn't blame the average moviegoer if they didn't want to spend another $15+ to watch it again in cinemas just because a film requires more than one watch to understand it. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't call this 'a mess' as I've read elsewhere. There's never the sense it's slipping out of Nolan's control. For better or worse he's doing everything as he planned to and he doesn't give a shit if you can keep up or not.

I... didn't mind it. There's something undeniably exhilarating about a Primer-esque script being given a 200m dollar budget and I've no doubt even the studio execs didn't really understand the plot when they greenlighted it. The hook of the time inversion is surprisingly low key when it gets to the foreground but I think keeping it vague was probably for the best. The fight scenes were strikingly good and I wish the batman movies had them. All the cast are fine and I look forward to Washington having a long career as a leading man. I'm in no rush to see it again but I'm sure when I do there'll be a lot of 'oh, so that's why this was happening' moments.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to add to chorus of complaints about the sound mixing though. I was in a small theater that by design or by accident had everything - the ads, trailers and movie - ridiculously loud, and a lot of lines got lost in the music. Wouldn't matter for a lot of films but in this every bit of dialogue can be the difference between you having a clue what's going on in the next scene or not. The soundtrack is completely relentless and I'd honestly have been happy with subtitles (not to mention earplugs). I don't know what you think the average person's hearing is like, Odeon, but turn your movies down FFS.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Just finished watching it .

The first half of this movie gave me a headache but it's gets better in the second half.

-Solid acting all around but their motivations with exception of Debecki's character aren't really fleshed out.

-Time inversion concept was confusing at first  but gets better as you go long and gives some mind-blowing sequences and I love how it feels more grounded and not gimmicky.

-Actually their is some decent payoff for debicki, JDW and Pattinson characters that kind makes parts of the first act more understandable .

-Sound mixing wasn't good for this which may hinder viewing experience.

- editing is weird at some parts like how JDW and Neil are just always at different locations and scenes aren't given enough time to breath.

All in all its confusing  at first but by the end there is decent payoff in the third act  and you understand the general geist of the story and characters.

This requires a second viewing tbh .

It's Nolan's weakest but it's not a dud .

6.5/10 for me.

• Like 1

All of these back and forth discussions do nothing but solidify my opinion that this averages out to about a seven. And it's not like an average of extreme polar opposites (say, like Joker may have experienced), but of "Yeah, it's good, not great" and "It's meh, not terrible".

Really don't expect fantastic legs for it, but lack of competition will still help. Do we have any further idea of its Monday sneaks results?

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

(say, like Joker may have experienced)

It didn't lol. Maybe at the start I guess (but that was moreso because of the political conversation surrounding the movie rather than the movie itself). But once the hype down, don't think anyone really cared deeply about the movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It didn't lol. Maybe at the start I guess (but that was moreso because of the political conversation surrounding the movie rather than the movie itself). But once the hype down, don't think anyone really cared deeply about the movie.

I think that is quite inaccurate, even among the general public, but talking specifically about reviews - Joker had considerably more 9 and 10 reviews as well as a ton of 2-4 reviews. Definition of polarizing. Tenet is missing a lot of the high highs, but also extreme lows. It's as avergae as it comes, as opposed to a median of polarized opinion.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think that is quite inaccurate, even among the general public, but talking specifically about reviews - Joker had considerably more 9 and 10 reviews as well as a ton of 2-4 reviews. Definition of polarizing. Tenet is missing a lot of the high highs, but also extreme lows. It's as avergae as it comes, as opposed to a median of polarized opinion.

I'm honestly confused how its extreme highs > average > extreme lows. Tenet certainly isn't getting mostly average reviews. And Joker did have a ton of middling reviews too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm honestly confused how its extreme highs > average > extreme lows. Tenet certainly isn't getting mostly average reviews. And Joker did have a ton of middling reviews too.

Check Metacritic. Sure, things can still change for Tenet, but I would be shocked if we saw too many reviews coming in at any of the extreme ends of the scale. Tenet has 3 reviews over 88. Nothing under 40. Most are 60-80.

Joker's got 12 over 88 and 11 under 40. And it has twice as many 40-60 than it does 60-80. 

Again, yes, things can change with Tenet as more reviews come in, but nothing so far has pointed to many people either loving or hating it.

And this isn't to say Joker deserves either fantastic praise or hatred - I actually think a 7.5 for that is also an accurate score, similar to Tenet (and just like Tenet, I believe the third act brings it together). It's just an example of a truly polarizing movie, with Tenet so far a more valid example of an average reception.

12 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Check Metacritic. Sure, things can still change for Tenet, but I would be shocked if we saw too many reviews coming in at any of the extreme ends of the scale. Tenet has 3 reviews over 88. Nothing under 40. Most are 60-80.

Joker's got 12 over 88 and 11 under 40. And it has twice as many 40-60 than it does 60-80. 

Again, yes, things can change with Tenet as more reviews come in, but nothing so far has pointed to many people either loving or hating it.

And this isn't to say Joker deserves either fantastic praise or hatred - I actually think a 7.5 for that is also an accurate score, similar to Tenet (and just like Tenet, I believe the third act brings it together). It's just an example of a truly polarizing movie, with Tenet so far a more valid example of an average reception.

40-60 is literally considered average on the metacritic scale lol. And Tenet does not have an average reception. Joker sits closer to average reception than Tenet does. It doesn't just have a 59 on RT because of a bunch of very negative and very positive reviews.

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 hours ago, Reckoning55 said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Of course some great movies require more than one viewing to take all in. But rarely because of their plot. Plot is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a movie. Story matters much much more. Now, mind you, I haven't seen Tenet yet, but I've often found Nolan gets too worried about the plotting and the clockwork mechanics of its construction and story takes a backseat. In that regard, the Prestige is by far his greatest achievement, I find, where he juggles both things perfectly

• Like 1

Joker cracks me up as a comparison.  There'll be audiences rejecting Tenet as they couldn't follow it, where as they came out raving Joker when they didn't understand that either.   I've said this before, but I found audiences celebrating that character as some sort of hero the most troubling reaction to a movie in recent memory.  

Anyway, just a little mini-rant about the success of Joker for all the wrong reasons.  I guess what I am trying to say is a mass audience isn't necessarily all that bright when it comes to a film looking to challenge them.  I think Tenet delivers enough of a adrenalin rush for the word of mouth to be fine, but it's not going to be through the roof from everyone because it is so 'out there'.  And that's just fine.

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

40-60 is literally considered average on the metacritic scale lol. And Tenet does not have an average reception. Joker sits closer to average reception than Tenet does. It doesn't just have a 59 on RT because of a bunch of very negative and very positive reviews.

Mate, you're clearly set in refusing to acknowledge clearly what's in front of you - one movie had a polarizing reception, the other is "meh, s'alright".

You can keep on sticking your fingers in your ears about it and arguing, but the evidence is quite clear. I'm not gonna continue arguing.

6 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Of course some great movies require more than one viewing to take all in. But rarely because of their plot. Plot is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a movie. Story matters much much more. Now, mind you, I haven't seen Tenet yet, but I've often found Nolan gets too worried about the plotting and the clockwork mechanics of its construction and story takes a backseat. In that regard, the Prestige is by far his greatest achievement, I find, where he juggles both things perfectly

Prestige is the most comparable film from his catalogue to Tenet.

That movie played completely differently second time.

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Mate, you're clearly set in refusing to acknowledge clearly what's in front of you - one movie had a polarizing reception, the other is "meh, s'alright".

You can keep on sticking your fingers in your ears about it and arguing, but the evidence is quite clear. I'm not gonna continue arguing.

Nah, you're just using a very skewed system where if a movie doesn't get mostly very, very, very good reception (which Joker didn't), it's average. It's a complete misunderstanding of how these aggregates work.

And you're literally giving Tenet a 7.5. Maybe that's average for you but most of the reviews for Tenet or on the pretty good side, not the average side. No clue how you get "average" from mostly 7 or 8/10 reviews.

So yeah, the evidence is quite clear that Joker wasn't super polarizing and Tenet doesn't have average reviews. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

what do you expect people to do? keep praising or attacking joker everyday ?

I love and care Joker, 10/10 movie. I just don't express my love everyday.

• Like 1