Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Sorry, but no. The action sequence in the end is one of the worst supposedly climatic action sequences I have seen recently. It has horrible editing and zero gravitas. The viewer is most of the time lost in the noise seeing people running and shooting everywhere to unseen objectives.

Same with the second part of the cars' chase. And also with the opening sequence, were is hard to clarify who is who.

You shouldn't be lost the second time.  Your issues have nothing to do with the editing, but understanding the mechanics of what is going on by completely comprehending the rules at play.

The editing in the finale is nothing short of amazing once you understand all of the mechanics properly.  I get where you're coming from, as I felt much the same after one viewing.  

Worth saying what you've said is getting pretty close to spoiler territory!

34 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Happy or not, WW84 depends way more of US, so i think it will be delayed anyway.

That depends on whether they want to back theaters so that they're still there for them in years to come, or whether they're just wanting to maximise their money on this one single movie - future movies be damned.

There's massive appetite the world over to see Wonder Woman this October, where it can make WB money and keep theaters in business.  We're getting to the point now where studios either abandon the rest of the world because of how the US is dealing with the pandemic, or they embrace their international partners.  

27 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Correct. The point still stands you don't spend $200M on production and $100M on marketing in hopes of a $20-30M domestic opening. 

You don't.  Yet if you want to continue making $200 million movies that could give you a return that's your investment multiplied, then you sure as hell need to be supporting the hand that feeds you.

WB have done this with Tenet, whilst Disney disgracefully ran the other way with Mulan (US I get it, but internationally - pathetic decision).

Hopefully, Tenet's opening this weekend will get things going again and we'll get more big movies sticking to their guns and staying put in 2020.  

That said, I find it difficult to comment on whether movies should be opening in the states at the moment as you guys are really struggling with it.  Lots of banter and arguing on here as always, but stay safe everybody.

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Correct. The point still stands you don't spend $200M on production and $100M on marketing in hopes of a $20-30M domestic opening. 

You do know of a pandemic  going. NY and LA are down for now.

Nolan movies open to 50-60m with the US at full strength.

I think WB knows this. 

Like WB released this movie clearly knowing  a smaller opening but hoping for better legs. 

What OW were you expecting??

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

You do know of a pandemic  going. NY and LA are down for now.

Nolan movies open to 50-60m with the US at full strength.

I think WB knows this. 

Like WB released this movie clearly knowing  a smaller opening but hoping for better legs. 

What OW were you expecting??

Expected them to outright delay it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, let’s just ignore the whole scenario and pretend that it is a normal release, right?

Let’s ignore the facts that:

A) Warner is getting a far stronger % than they usually get from a movie both DOM and OS.

B) That the movie will have months without any competition which should give it some great legs, despite the 'low' OW.

C) It will have far stronger sales on secondary markets than your usual Nolan movie since tons of people won’t be able to watch it at cinemas.

D) That this movie has a stronger chance at generating profit than losing it.

On a normal scenario, an $30m OW would be a disaster for it, but considering everything it will have to help it's run, that’s more than enough for it to become successful.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yeah, let’s just ignore the whole scenario and pretend that it is a normal release, right?

Let’s ignore the facts that:

A) Warner is getting a far stronger % than they usually get from a movie both DOM and OS.

B) That the movie will have months without any competition which should give it some great legs, despite the 'low' OW.

C) It will have far stronger sales on secondary markets than your usual Nolan movie since tons of people won’t be able to watch it at cinemas.

D) That this movie has a stronger chance at generating profit than losing it.

On a normal scenario, an $30m OW would be a disaster for it, but considering everything it will have to help it's run, that’s more than enough for it to become successful.

Sent from my iPhone

We'll see how it goes. Not sure the WOM is going to be as strong as they probably need it to be during the pandemic. There is already a limited total audience to begin with, for obvious reasons. So if you put out a movie that turns off a big chunk of the audience, it will be hard to get others to show up later in the film's run. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

34 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So if you put out a movie that turns off a big chunk of the audience, it will be hard to get others to show up later in the film's run. 

There's nothing that suggests that this movie has turned off a big chunk of the audience though. We aren't talking about The New Mutants here. The limited number of movies releasing over the next two months makes it easier to recommend this film too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We'll see how it goes. Not sure the WOM is going to be as strong as they probably need it to be during the pandemic. There is already a limited total audience to begin with, for obvious reasons. So if you put out a movie that turns off a big chunk of the audience, it will be hard to get others to show up later in the film's run. 

Does it matter? WB released it knowing how fucked the market is right now. No movie can be released in the next month or two (at least) and be held to a pre-pandemic standard. Everything right now will have an asterisk. Whether Tenet fails or succeeds, we'll never know how it would have performed in a normal environment. 

Edited by tonytr87

I'm doing a Nolan marathon starting from tomorrow for Tenet. Will not watch Interstellar though because I've seen that film way too many times and just rewatched it a few months ago. Interesting to see how they hold up since it's been a couple of years since I've seen them.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

It would be nice to think this will be a wakeup call to Nolan that he needs to get his sound mixing in order and that His scripts probably need some work (maybe with his brother or someone else).  But the money this inevitably loses will just be written off as "Y'know, 2020" and the sound mix criticism - like films like Solo or AvP: Requiem that are so dark they look like they were shot with the lenscap on - blamed on 'bad theaters.

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

The sound mixing in his films is great  and most people don't seem to have a big problem with understanding the dialogue. And it does work to create a realistic soundscape. I also think Nolan has specifically said that this is how he likes to mix his films and hasn't really blamed it on cinemas. Comparing it to the lighting of Solo is a joke.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, wildphantom said:

You shouldn't be lost the second time.  Your issues have nothing to do with the editing, but understanding the mechanics of what is going on by completely comprehending the rules at play.

The editing in the finale is nothing short of amazing once you understand all of the mechanics properly.  I get where you're coming from, as I felt much the same after one viewing.  

Worth saying what you've said is getting pretty close to spoiler territory!

I perfectly understood what was going on. My issues came with the way Nolan shows what's going on. Of course, I will see Tenet again. Hope the movie gets better with a second viewing.

Sorry if someone thinks my comment was spoilery. I tried hard to explain my issues with the action sequences without telling anything!