Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 hours ago, Mango said:

The fact that Tenet has a lower score on RT than Mulan just superficially bugs me. I can't help but think it says a lot about this industry now- or at least its "critics"

You have an original, well made, ambitious film that truly tries to do something new and a soulless cash crab copypasta project from a corporation who is attempting to monopolize the industry and the latter has a higher scores from whatever hole RT pulls their "critics" from.  I'm not saying everyone had to love Tenet or anything, I just dislike Disney's live action copypasta #20 is somehow more revered right now.

The reviews aren’t saying that either of them are ambitious or original than the norm. Tenet seems like an above average action movie with a sci-fi element with no characters you can care about and Mulan seems like an above average Disney remake with some heart.

critics are not obligated to lie about their opinions to please Nolan fanboys. The reviews are also on par with Interstellar so I’m not sure what changed in the industry opinion of Nolan and his critics.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Mango said:

The fact that Tenet has a lower score on RT than Mulan just superficially bugs me. I can't help but think it says a lot about this industry now- or at least its "critics"

You have an original, well made, ambitious film that truly tries to do something new and a soulless cash crab copypasta project from a corporation who is attempting to monopolize the industry and the latter has a higher scores from whatever hole RT pulls their "critics" from.  I'm not saying everyone had to love Tenet or anything, I just dislike Disney's live action copypasta #20 is somehow more revered right now.

Neither of these statements are fully true, to be fair.  I'm no fan of Mulan, and I haven't even seen it, but whatever it is, it seems to vary significantly more from its animated original than most of the Disney live actioners have.  And TENET, well...let's just say that everyone always says the same thing about these Nolan films....but the reviews overall seem not quite as easy to subscribe to the Nolan mania. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Why on earth should a well executed redux be held in lower regard and esteem than an original mess? 

• Like 1

And really, it's not like the reviews for Mulan and Tenet are that stark. Both have fans and detractors, their RT scores aren't that far behind, their MC scores are only a point apart, etc. I haven't seen either movies, and reactions don't really encourage much excitement for me from either releases, but please don't act like people are bowing down to Disney or that we're becoming zombies to corporate products and don't act as if people's personal tastes and interests should skew specifically towards you and only you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

The reviews aren’t saying that either of them are ambitious or original than the norm. Tenet seems like an above average action movie with a sci-fi element with no characters you can care about and Mulan seems like an above average Disney remake with some heart.

critics are not obligated to lie about their opinions to please Nolan fanboys. The reviews are also on par with Interstellar so I’m not sure what changed in the industry opinion of Nolan and his critics.

Tenet being ambitious is obviously subjective, and I didn't say everyone should love it, but "Disney remake with heart" is a laughable statement from the company that is a literal embodiment of corporate greed and nostalgia pandering. And yeah, I know WB is a soulless money hungry company as well, but at least they're doing something different here and there. 

53 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Neither of these statements are fully true, to be fair.  I'm no fan of Mulan, and I haven't even seen it, but whatever it is, it seems to vary significantly more from its animated original than most of the Disney live actioners have.  And TENET, well...let's just say that everyone always says the same thing about these Nolan films....but the reviews overall seem not quite as easy to subscribe to the Nolan mania. 

It wasn't really me comparing the movies to each other on quality, that is going to be subjective. I just figured so called "film critics" would be more critical on a rehash. 

50 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Why on earth should a well executed redux be held in lower regard and esteem than an original mess? 

Because I would hope overtime audiences and critics would get tired of being force fed the exact same characters and storylines, made to look "new and innovative" all because they changed mediums. Pretty much every Disney live action remake is just this.

11 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

And really, it's not like the reviews for Mulan and Tenet are that stark. Both have fans and detractors, their RT scores aren't that far behind, their MC scores are only a point apart, etc. I haven't seen either movies, and reactions don't really encourage much excitement for me from either releases, but please don't act like people are bowing down to Disney or that we're becoming zombies to corporate products and don't act as if people's personal tastes and interests should skew specifically towards you and only you.

The very notion of "bowing down to Disney" and "becoming corporate zombies" is pretty much exactly what the film industry has shifted towards, so I'm gonna disagree there. It's franchise film after franchise film with little variety these days. The industry relied so much on nostalgic and pre-existing IP's that they've created an industry that basically can't thrive without "familiar" products. It basically alienates anyone whose "personal interests and tastes" don't match up with the status quo, so there's that. 

48 minutes ago, Mango said:

Tenet being ambitious is obviously subjective, and I didn't say everyone should love it, but "Disney remake with heart" is a laughable statement from the company that is a literal embodiment of corporate greed and nostalgia pandering. And yeah, I know WB is a soulless money hungry company as well, but at least they're doing something different here and there. 

It wasn't really me comparing the movies to each other on quality, that is going to be subjective. I just figured so called "film critics" would be more critical on a rehash. 

Because I would hope overtime audiences and critics would get tired of being force fed the exact same characters and storylines, made to look "new and innovative" all because they changed mediums. Pretty much every Disney live action remake is just this.

The very notion of "bowing down to Disney" and "becoming corporate zombies" is pretty much exactly what the film industry has shifted towards, so I'm gonna disagree there. It's franchise film after franchise film with little variety these days. The industry relied so much on nostalgic and pre-existing IP's that they've created an industry that basically can't thrive without "familiar" products. It basically alienates anyone whose "personal interests and tastes" don't match up with the status quo, so there's that. 

Stop making excuses and theories

Mulan is like the fourth of sixteen Disney Live Actions to get good reviews, you cannot say critics don’t rehash these movies, because they do when it’s bad or have only nostalgia to present.

There’s nothing to blame about Tenet reception, it’s not bad, it’s actually very close to Interstellar.

25 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Stop making excuses and theories

Mulan is like the fourth of sixteen Disney Live Actions to get good reviews, you cannot say critics don’t rehash these movies, because they do when it’s bad or have only nostalgia to present.

There’s nothing to blame about Tenet reception, it’s not bad, it’s actually very close to Interstellar.

The idea of a nostalgia driven industry isn't a "theory" it's a reality. Just look at the upcoming production slates for major studios and the past few years of box office. Far from a "theory" as you call it. 

Edited by Mango

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

The idea of a nostalgia driven industry isn't a "theory" it's a reality. Just look at the upcoming production slates for major studios and the past few years of box office. Far from a "theory" as you call it. 

Critics aren’t producers or studios!

They didn’t give high scores to movies because of nostalgia, even if the industry release them.

You basically said Mulan have a higher grade than Tenet because critics aren’t praising an original idea anymore  but they like the twentieth copypasta of Disney because of nostalgia.

This is a theory, the industry can make 100 movies that rely on nostalgia, critics don’t give them high scores just because. 

33 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Critics aren’t producers or studios!

They didn’t give high scores to movies because of nostalgia, even if the industry release them.

You basically said Mulan have a higher grade than Tenet because critics aren’t praising an original idea anymore  but they like the twentieth copypasta of Disney because of nostalgia.

This is a theory, the industry can make 100 movies that rely on nostalgia, critics don’t give them high scores just because. 

What I was leaning more towards is I feel like a film that is essentially a remake should be looked at a bit more critically than your average film. The reason for this is because any film that is remade needs to prove why it needed to be remade. The whole "Rotten Tomatoes" era of criticism is a really weird one, though. A lot of Mulan reviews don't really seem to be doing that, and of course a wide array of geek culture will eat this one up just like they do the rest of them. 

As for the nostalgia dependent part, that is more on the audiences. Still, it is 100% the film industry's fault for creating it as the expectation that masses have when it comes to adaptations and remakes. 

Sorta at the risk of derailing this thread though, so I'll stop with the doom and gloom. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Imagine saying critics bowing down to Disney when literally most of the Disney movies last year didn't recieve good reviews from critics. Lion King and Aladdin both are rotten. 

Imagine forgetting the countless remakes in the years before that were praised for doing relatively nothing new with plot or atmosphere besides "Woah guys look its that movie from when you were a kid but in LIVE ACTION with CGI ANIMALS"

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Imagine forgetting the countless remakes in the years before that were praised for doing relatively nothing new with plot or atmosphere besides "Woah guys look its that movie from when you were a kid but in LIVE ACTION with CGI ANIMALS"

Jungle Book and The Cinderella are the only live action movie that got praised and that too desevingly. 

Everything else is mediocre to rotten. 

• Like 1

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Jungle Book and The Cinderella are the only live action movie that got praised and that too desevingly. 

Everything else is mediocre to rotten. 

Deserving? Debatable. 

Beauty & the Beast is 70%, I wouldn't call that mediocre though I guess it isn't stellar.

The bowing down to Disney is definitely moreso on the part of the audience members that eat it up like the sheep they are, though. Critics don't matter as much in that sense. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

So, now shaming Audience and calling them Sheep. You really are pissed just because of a RT score. 

Also Tenet is not something new. It's the same time travel sci-fi with a slightly different concept. 

I wouldn't say the RT score, the statement I was making was more on the concept of originality in Hollywood these days and how hard it is to compete with all of these remakes and stuff. 

And yeah, if the audiences continue to devour the remake and reboot slop that's put in front of them I'll call them out for the pigs that they are. Go ahead and join them in it and enjoy the sixth remake of Alice in Wonderland in 40 years with your grand kids. 

I saw this yesterday. Drove 2 hours each way to see it. Anyway, it is very complicated, and I went in expecting that if I paid close attention I would get it on the first viewing. I understand most of it, but this is a film that requires a lot of thinking after to get. This is more complicated than any of Nolan's prior works and really does take 2 or more viewings to really grasp it. I believe the complexity is going to be too much for most movie goers. I expect mixed WOM, however, years later, Tenet will likely be considered a classic of sorts after people have studied and dissected it, but I think the average movie goer will have no fucking clue what's going on, and I don't mean that in a good way.

• Like 1