Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

5 more drive-in venues have been announced to show the film in the UK:

Nightflix Drive-In Cinema    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire    09/09 - 24/09    DCP  

https://www.nightflix.co.uk/site/film/12/299
Nightflix Drive-In Cinema    Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire    11/09 - 24/09    DCP   https://www.nightflix.co.uk/site/film/7/299
Nightflix Drive-In Cinema    Longmoor, Hampshire    18/09 - 01/10    DCP       https://www.nightflix.co.uk/site/film/13/299
Fully Charged Show's Electric Drive-In    Farnborough, Hampshire    29/10 - 1/11    TBC (DCP?)    (Indoor - Electric Cars Only)   https://fullycharged.show/events/fully-charged-electric-drive-in/

15 hours ago, Harry Poppins said:

Been lying awake all night wondering how they went to the toilet inverted..

This is kind of a spoiler, right??  I haven't seen it yet.  Because this makes me think of some aspect that I hadn't really thought of in any trailers I've seen here, and I haven't read many reviews, yet.  Please be careful in revealing even these small details! 

19 hours ago, Mango said:

What I was leaning more towards is I feel like a film that is essentially a remake should be looked at a bit more critically than your average film. The reason for this is because any film that is remade needs to prove why it needed to be remade.

Can't agree with this on either point.  Every new film should be treated as objectively as possible when critiquing, no matter its origin.  The story of Jesus has been told on film a million times -- does that mean we should immediately discount a new version on history of adaptations alone?  It has that baggage, yes...but each version has something new to interpret. 

Similarly, from a filmmaker's perspective, I don't think they usually judge each new version of a story they make on whether a previous version "deserves" a remake or not, at least that's far from the only reason a writer/director/studio would pursue something.  But after a new version is made, OK, yes, the burden of proof is often on it to be "worthy"...but that often comes a lot from pre-situated expectations, knowledgeable critics/fanbases, and how culturally relevant previous versions are/continue to be.  In other words, the "proof" that viewers might demand is entirely of their own psychology...

This could quickly become a scholarly discussion...I'll let it go here, too. 

9 hours ago, Macleod said:

This is kind of a spoiler, right??  I haven't seen it yet.  Because this makes me think of some aspect that I hadn't really thought of in any trailers I've seen here, and I haven't read many reviews, yet.  Please be careful in revealing even these small details! 

Sorry it was intended as a joke. Nothing in it is a spoiler, they mention inversion in the trailers

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Krissykins said:

RT staying at 74%, 215 reviews. 

verified audience score 80%. 

That seems pretty fair to me. Nolan swings for the fences with this one and imho it's not entirely successful, but in the end you walk out of the film feeling that you've never watched something like that, and that feeling is so rare these days...

I hope he mantains his status and can keep doing Nolan stuff despite the relatively tepid reception. 

• Like 3

I watched this yesterday, honestly couldn't tell if it was good or not because I did not understand a single thing, not only plot wise but the sound was too loud and the actor voices were not understandable at all. IDK if it is the way they edited the sound or smth but I could only understand 30-50% of the dialogue, yeah english is not my mother tongue but I tend to watch all movies in english and this has never happened to be before. Anyway, the plot I felt was too complicated to follow for the average moviegoer, when the movie finished everyone at the theatre was confused AF. Don't know how the legs for this will be but I feel it is too long for a rewatch for people who don't go to the cinema that much. By the way the theatre was absolutely packed (with corona rules obviously) and there was a line that went all the way outside the theatre for ticket purchase so yeah...cinemas are definitely back in Europe

Edit: Continuing with my last line, Mulan would have made so much money in Europe if they had released it theatrically. Everyone I talked to didn't know it was releasing on D+ and was planning to watch it in theatres. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 1

Nolan has received flack in the past about the lack of strong female characters in many of his films. I think he dropped the ball here as there is nothing about Robert Pattinson's "Neil" character that would have prevented the character from being female and portrayed by a woman. It would have given some interesting new meaning to Neil's last lines in the film.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

7 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Nolan has received flack in the past about the lack of strong female characters in many of his films. I think he dropped the ball here as there is nothing about Robert Pattinson's "Neil" character that would have prevented the character from being female and portrayed by a woman. It would have given some interesting new meaning to Neil's last lines in the film.

I don't think Nolan cares about trying to please those types of people though. Neil was an aggressive agent, i don't think it would have been suitable for a female role, especially when Nolan likes to keep his movies as grounded as possible