Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

On 9/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, Celedhring said:

That seems pretty fair to me. Nolan swings for the fences with this one and imho it's not entirely successful, but in the end you walk out of the film feeling that you've never watched something like that, and that feeling is so rare these days...

That's kind of where I'm at. The film has significant problems but I can't say I've ever seen a blockbuster like it. For better and worse I felt like my brain had been assaulted, which I suspect was the intent. Not trying to convince myself I liked it more than I did - it's a 6-7/10 movie - but that really was its effect on me.

That said: I hope his next effort is nothing like this. If he wants to complete his 'people in expensive clothes embarking on a mindfuck mission' trilogy he should leave it another decade.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Looks like WB has eased up on their drive-in policy. Playing in LA from today:

WB internally recognize how bad was that 20.2m in 10 days, but i am not sure if marketing keep up the pace of release or WB will just let it die down 

Edited by titanic2187

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Looks like WB has eased up on their drive-in policy. Playing in LA from today:

Must be a So Cal thing. The two in Northern California (Concord & San Jose) have yet to say they are showing it (their website says they are showing movies so I don't think they are shut down due to the smoke) and a brief glance at the New York area didn't come up with anyone of them that are playing it.

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Mission Tiki drive-in is not in LA County, it is in San Bernardino county. SB can likely open theaters this weekend, LA still can't.

San Bernardino County is pretty bad case-wise. I think opens roughly when LA county opens, which might not be this year at all.

Anyway, looks like WB is releasing what a stupid idea it was to not show in drive-ins. I think it is too late though as most people probably aren't checking their drive-ins to see if Tenet is playing.

4 hours ago, doublejack said:

Big drive-in near Detroit, the Ford-Wyoming, is not showing Tenet. Doesn't look like many markets received permission to play it at drive-ins.

I dont' why the hell Warners is dragging it's feet on drive ins. Thye can use all the screens they can get.

I have not seen the movie..theaters still shut tight where I am....but without making any comments on it as a movie, I thinkit's clear the US release strategy is a failure.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

I dont' why the hell Warners is dragging it's feet on drive ins. Thye can use all the screens they can get.

I have not seen the movie..theaters still shut tight where I am....but without making any comments on it as a movie, I thinkit's clear the US release strategy is a failure.

The entire release has been positioned as a solidarity thing for indoor theaters and giving driveins weeks if not month's worth of head start would defeat that.

Still stupid given it is a safer way to see a film and will likely help boost things (for WB).

• Like 1

With now WW84 officially moved to December. Tenet has two full month until BW which maybe delayed too,

For a movie that target long run business., tenet marketing has not been adapted to its long run strategy. The marketing like tv spots has been largely focus on opening week just all the usual tentpole.   

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

With now WW84 officially moved to December. Tenet has two full month until BW which maybe delayed too,

For a movie that target long run business., tenet marketing has not been adapted to its long run strategy. The marketing like tv spots has been largely focus on opening week just all the usual tentpole.   

And I would bet a lot of money WW84 will move again.

Warners just seems uwilling to accept the reality there is almost certianly going to be a big uptick in Virus numbers with cold weather winter, which will hwlp the spread of the virus, this winter.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

So, the fam and I all saw the movie on cheap Tuesday during our doc-approved vacation to the colonial outdoor sites (and beaches of America - who knew Yorktown had a beach, and a cave where Cornwallis supposedly hid before his surrender)...figured being 6 of the 8 folks meant it was okay to go in to an unknown place (and Marcus theaters did a great job - now, I've hit 3 chains since reopen:)...

Anyway, having seen it, I'm not surprised by the box office numbers, but I have to say, the movie gets a HUGE bonus from the big screen.  I wouldn't watch this movie at all on the small screen.  Its advantages would be minimized, while its disads would be magnified, and what is an okay movie that's a fun watch at a theater becomes unwatchable at home.  Like, I'm never watching this on video, but I might give another view on the big screen at my $2 cheapo day:)...

Anyway, I have the grades...and I REALLY think this movie hits the sweet spot for teens and young adults 13-25 who have NOT seen Memento.  

The spouse and I - INCOMPLETE / C+ - Seriously, this is the 1st movie we both thought that the director didn't finish.  Like he thought he was making Mission Impossible 7 or James Bonds 25, and he could just skip character development of the primary character,  But you can't.  B/c as my spouse said, "why the F was so-and-so bothering to do any of this?"  And if the casual goer can't answer the question, it's a problem.  That said (and I figured out the movie in the 1st 10 minutes, so I don't need a rewatch, but enjoyed what was there - for those who worry on that, don't), it's a very smart and well done movie with amazing effects (yes, the airplane was worth it) with only a very few "plot quibbles".  But character quibbles, I got a million.

The teen girls - A- - they loved it all - they didn't care that the main character was a blank slate.  They just put their own slate on him.

The non-teen boys - B- - they were entertained, but found it a little long...and I think they took way longer to figure out the movie, so thus didn't like it was much:).

My teen girls said folks in their peer group were staying away b/c they thought the movie required too many smarts...and if that's the worry, don't have it be the worry.  

'

For me, I think after Dunkirk and Tenet, Nolan needs to find a character developer who can help really hit that last box of character motivation and development into his films.  This movie would have moved into A- territory with 5 minutes cut from the cuteness and added to the initial set where we learn anything about our main PC.  Literally, 5 minutes would have made this an Oscar nominee vs an also ran in a down year...

EDIT TO ADD:  Sound was perfect - not sure I understand the sound complaints b/c everything was crystal clear.  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Warner Bros. Won’t Share ‘Tenet’ Box Office Data, Angering Rival Studios

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/warner-bros-tenet-box-office-studios-1234767113/?

Seems like this could be another precedent. If PVOD/VOD doesn't kill this forum, this would (not that I expect this to take hold.)

• ...wtf 1

On 9/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Anyway, having seen it, I'm not surprised by the box office numbers, but I have to say, the movie gets a HUGE bonus from the big screen.  I wouldn't watch this movie at all on the small screen.  Its advantages would be minimized, while its disads would be magnified, and what is an okay movie that's a fun watch at a theater becomes unwatchable at home.  Like, I'm never watching this on video, but I might give another view on the big screen at my $2 cheapo day:)...

Thank you for the review!

Well, if Tenet gets a re-release after COVID I will hopefully have a chance to see it on the big screen then. However, it appears more and more likely that I'll be watching it on a 24" monitor for my initial viewing. The four year old, who we refer to as C4, hit the TV panel with a cup, so that's toast. Not buying another TV in this house any time soon. C4's older brother, C3, did the same thing to the previous TV a couple years ago only it was a butter knife. (The joys of raising two boys with ADHD). Between the pair of TVs they did not last for a year of service.

However, even a 24" display will be far better than the 3.7" phone display I used for my first screening of Inception (and Iron Man 2). Sitting a couple feet away from my monitor, it should be just fine.  My vision is not what it used to be, so I don't think I'd even attempt to watch something like Inception or Tenet on a phone these days, and that's with a relatively huge 6" phone.... but a monitor will suffice even if I lose the impact of the big visuals.

For me, Nolan films can be visually stunning but the more important aspects are the narrative and acting. So unless Tenet is more of a Michael Bay film, where all it has is the visuals, I'll probably still enjoy it if it is well done.

• Like 1