Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I think this film was actually more detrimental to cinemas than not. Ironically, had this delayed, theaters would not have reopened, this would not have pulled catastrophic Domestic numbers, and theaters would stay closed which probably would give them some negotiating power with their landlords. Now, studios are going to be extra cautious moving forward. They saw what Tenet did, and we are getting the first major moves from Disney, but if (which is more likely than not) Covid is still going strong, studios will keep delaying films. Studios won't gamble again on $200M movies. 

49 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Honestly this movie begs for a VOD release. From a number’s perspective it seems fairly obvious it should go to streaming sooner rather than later, because it’s clear now that Mulan is profitable and Tenet is not. Every day that Tenet is not available on VOD is $millions lost due to waning interest. I would’ve paid $50+ at release to watch the VOD. Strike while the iron is hot because it’s cooling fast, Warner Bro.

Also from a cinematic perspective, I would have personally enjoyed this film a lot more on VOD. I want to analyze the film. I find it exhausting to watch start to finish without any pause.

Agreed. Also, as time goes on, the general audience will lose interest in this. WB should just say f this and put it on streaming. 

3 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

That makes sense to me, best way to maximise profits I reckon with the holiday season. It'll have petered out by then even if there aren't major releases.

The 4K will be a nice Xmas gift to myself.

plus Dec 3 US/Dec 16 UK are the absolute earliest dates it could land on VOD/Blu-ray anyway because of the theatrical window. If they wanna rush it on there they have to renegotiate with the major chains.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:00 PM, CloneWars said:

I think this film was actually more detrimental to cinemas than not. Ironically, had this delayed, theaters would not have reopened, this would not have pulled catastrophic Domestic numbers, and theaters would stay closed which probably would give them some negotiating power with their landlords. Now, studios are going to be extra cautious moving forward. They saw what Tenet did, and we are getting the first major moves from Disney, but if (which is more likely than not) Covid is still going strong, studios will keep delaying films. Studios won't gamble again on $200M movies. 

In the US? Agreed, I think theaters that opened for Tenet that would have remained closed without such a big movie coming would have been better off if it was never released. They would have had more leverage, Hollywood wouldn't be as cautious perhaps, and theaters wouldn't have incurred as much operating cost. It has definitely been a double edged sword.

There were a bunch of theaters that had already opened, though. For these theaters Tenet was a boon. Also, in Canada and overseas markets the theaters benefited from Tenet. 

So it was a mixed bag. I think the failure was completely predictable and unnecessary, but there are a number of businesses that are thankful it was released.

• Like 2

Finally caught it and mostly agree with the complaints people have about it. While I'm not sure it will ever be my favorite Nolan movie, I could see myself with multiple viewings (and with a subtitled home release) being pretty into it.

The main reason I wanted to post about it here, is having now seen the movie I don't understand why anyone at WB or around Nolan thought that Tenet was the right movie to bring people back to theaters with. I mean after months of being pretty much stuck at home, I would think the last thing someone would want to see first is a movie that requires a ton of work to figure out what the hell is going on. If WW84 is as much of a crowd pleaser as the first one, seems to me that a fun popcorn movie like that is the movie that should have gone first. 

Edited by TepidShark
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Tenet Blu-ray Release Date Rumors Debunked By WB

UPDATE: Warner Bros. issued a statement in regards to the Tenet Blu-ray listing: "We haven’t made any announcements yet regarding this title, so anything found on-line is unofficial at this point." The original article remains below. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Tenet Blu-ray Release Date Rumors Debunked By WB

UPDATE: Warner Bros. issued a statement in regards to the Tenet Blu-ray listing: "We haven’t made any announcements yet regarding this title, so anything found on-line is unofficial at this point." The original article remains below. 

That's not debunking rumours. Rumours are rumours.

Debunking the rumour would be saying "Tenet will not be released in December".

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Avatree said:

That's not debunking rumours. Rumours are rumours.

Debunking the rumour would be saying "Tenet will not be released in December".

If WB reps really are still using "on-line" as terminology...they really do need to get with the times and shuffle in some new people. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 4:26 PM, Macleod said:

If WB reps really are still using "on-line" as terminology...they really do need to get with the times and shuffle in some new people. 

I think WB management needs a purge, given the bad decsions we have seen them make. The scheduling of WW84 and Dune To Open within a week of eachother is just bat crap crazy virus or no virus. And given that the virus numbers are almost certain to skyorckete in the US by Decemeber...

I repeat I have no opinion about the artistic/entertainment  worth of Tenat, not having seen it since theaters are pretty much closed were I live,, but  the attempt so prove what a huge success it's release was are silly. All it did was prove a huge budget blockbuster needs an alive and well US threatrical market to stand a chance of breaking even, let alone get into profit.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:12 AM, TepidShark said:

Finally caught it and mostly agree with the complaints people have about it. While I'm not sure it will ever be my favorite Nolan movie, I could see myself with multiple viewings (and with a subtitled home release) being pretty into it.

The main reason I wanted to post about it here, is having now seen the movie I don't understand why anyone at WB or around Nolan thought that Tenet was the right movie to bring people back to theaters with. I mean after months of being pretty much stuck at home, I would think the last thing someone would want to see first is a movie that requires a ton of work to figure out what the hell is going on. If WW84 is as much of a crowd pleaser as the first one, seems to me that a fun popcorn movie like that is the movie that should have gone first. 

to be honest I welcomed having my head full of Tenet narrative to unravel, rather than watch something insipid like WW84 where my mind would easily wander. Not that I’m not looking forward to WW84. 

If ever there was a time where I’d want to think about other things for a couple of hours, Tenet was a three course extraordinaire in that regard.