Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2020-11-03/christopher-nolan-speaks-about-a-book-on-him

If you’re talking about the acceleration of existing trends, that’s something I started reading right at the beginning of the pandemic. And it ignores the reality that 2019 was the biggest year for theatrical films in history. They’d made the most money. The admissions were huge. So to me, it’s much more about: What’s the new reality we’re living in?

Warner Bros. released “Tenet,” and I’m thrilled that it has made almost $350 million. But I am worried that the studios are drawing the wrong conclusions from our release — that rather than looking at where the film has worked well and how that can provide them with much needed revenue, they’re looking at where it hasn’t lived up to pre-COVID expectations and will start using that as an excuse to make exhibition take all the losses from the pandemic instead of getting in the game and adapting — or rebuilding our business, in other words.

Long term, moviegoing is a part of life, like restaurants and everything else. But right now, everybody has to adapt to a new reality.

there's a live Q&A on Thursday - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/christopher-nolan-in-conversation-with-tom-shone-tickets-124991869045

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

I think Nolan's not wrong in terms of a need to adapt but I think his analysis of the state of exhibition in 2019 feels like a misinterpretation of what happened. A big year for theaters but only because Disney threw the kitchen sink. And if the wealth is all going to the top, that doesn't provide any relief to the other studios, especially those that are franchise-less.

There's something to be said about Tenet managing to do somewhere in the range of about 75-80% (maybe more?) it would have done otherwise in normal circumstances OS, but Tenet, despite its bad luck in the case of South Korea, was probably very fortunate to release where it did. Because any later and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. So studios are going to have to eat some losses in 2021 and be smart about spacing releases and stringing them along without too much gaps to keep exhibition going. But if we're gonna see spikes  like these over the next 6 months, well, sorry to say, but I don't think theaters can remain open under that kind of environment. And we better hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence

Edited by MrPink

Presuming that until a vaccine is widely distributed it's gonna all be cyclical - there is merit to an idea that will come a moment in early spring where another Tenet could step up to the plate and do decently before a third wave of lockdowns happens. Question, what could that film be.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:46 AM, Giesi said:

Preorders next Tuesday 

With this , large part of New yorker and californian wouldn't be seeing this film on big screen....the two biggest nolan friendly market in the states 

Domestic number should stop at around 60m  

Edited by titanic2187

While glad I got to watch this in cinemas finally can't help by be disappointed as this might be my least favourite Nolan film despite how much I love spy films and usually love Nolan films. 

I honestly thought the audio issues people were saying were exaggerated but legit couldn't understand alot of the dialogue as well. Plot is too convoluted and despite some cool action scenes I still feel like the premise of inversion wasn't taken advantage of enough.

On the bright side I hardly noticed a difference with the cinema experience in COVID-19 times than previously. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

While glad I got to watch this in cinemas finally can't help by be disappointed as this might be my least favourite Nolan film despite how much I love spy films and usually love Nolan films. 

I honestly thought the audio issues people were saying were exaggerated but legit couldn't understand alot of the dialogue as well. Plot is too convoluted and despite some cool action scenes I still feel like the premise of inversion wasn't taken advantage of enough.

On the bright side I hardly noticed a difference with the cinema experience in COVID-19 times than previously. 

I was just going to post that it opened in Victoria this weekend. 

It looks like I liked it better then you the first time. However, it really is a different experience on second viewing. You appreciate the greater whole much more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I was just going to post that it opened in Victoria this weekend. 

It looks like I liked it better then you the first time. However, it really is a different experience on second viewing. You appreciate the greater whole much more. 

I enjoyed it on my first watch but I was also extremely confused so that gave me some mixed emotions, but I pretty much knew I'd likely feel that way going in. There's a lot going on and you can't really appreciate it until you know how things work tbh, it really does play so differently on rewatch(es), but it's worth it for sure. I think the third viewing was when it fully gelled for me and after that it's just fun watching all the pieces click together.

It'd be interesting to see what the critical response would've been if they'd seen it more than once. I can't help but think there'll be a re-evaluation on that front in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Back on top. 

lol. It rules how this year every major studio has experimented with multiple different ways of releasing movies that aren't just full theatrical runs only to learn time and again that this is the only way to make money.

Tenet will have lost its studio at least $100+ million and it will still be the most profitable western blockbuster of the entire pandemic. 

How are HD torrents already out? Movie isn't even out on home video. Almost got spoiled due to a bunch of people posting screenshots on my twitter feed. So tempting to watch the movie rn too, but I keep telling myself I gotta wait for just two more weeks. Also started my Nolan marathon. Hoping to get to TDKR by Thursday and then Dunkirk next week.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How are HD torrents already out? Movie isn't even out on home video. Almost got spoiled due to a bunch of people posting screenshots on my twitter feed. So tempting to watch the movie rn too, but I keep telling myself I gotta wait for just two more weeks. Also started my Nolan marathon. Hoping to get to TDKR by Thursday and then Dunkirk next week.

out on a foreign VOD somewhere it seems

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kinda poor quality for a VOD release though (one of things keeping me from watching it). Looked like 720p based on some of the screenshots/clips I got a glance at on twitter. Doesn't seem to open up for IMAX sequences either.

I believe what's out there is 1080p, yeah. But no 5.1 audio and indeed no IMAX - though the regular digital release won't have it either, only the Blu.

• Thanks 1

There's a playfulness and energy to the exposition here that it feels like it's actually part of the action setpieces. Also some pretty hilarious lines of dialogue. And I had no probs with sound mixing except for a bit with Michael Caine (same happened in interstellar too lol) and another part early in the movie.

Sucks that this film has been marred with all this discourse about the film's release strategy and hoping that there's some actually meaningful discourse about the film itself when this is all behind us because it's probably his most interesting film yet.

Either way, doing a re-watch tomorrow.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's a playfulness and energy to the exposition here that it feels like it's actually part of the action setpieces. Also some pretty hilarious lines of dialogue. And I had no probs with sound mixing except for a bit with Michael Caine (same happened in interstellar too lol) and another part early in the movie.

Sucks that this film has been marred with all this discourse about the film's release strategy and hoping that there's some actually meaningful discourse about the film itself when this is all behind us because it's probably his most interesting film yet.

Either way, doing a re-watch tomorrow.

For real, some people seemed to go in wanting to hate this because of how it was released and act like it's the worst movie ever, like calm tf down. People can get so dramatic about it lol.

I never had any more issues with dialogue than I have with any other movie so the hubbub over that was strange for me, too.

It's definitely a film that requires rewatches, I think it was my third before I started understanding the parts of it that confused the hell out of me, but it was fun to figure it out and see it click into place, so it'll be interesting to see how your rewatch goes. I think as the years go by this'll be a prime example of a movie that hooks people when they rewatch it and can understand it more, because I've seen frustration over being confused and saying it's bad for that reason. If anything my confusion just made me want to understand it and it's very worth it once you do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rewatched it. The mechanics of the story not only makes a lot more sense but creates a completely different experience upon the second watch.  Half the movie is still just Nolan doing the most nonsensical, cool shit he can think of and still an absolutely exhilarating experience. Probably Nolan's most instinctually crafted film (which also connects to the movie's own themes of instinct and agency). I don't even he fully understands the movie or cares.

Also, the movie would make the late Tony Scott (another director who cares more about the way images are structured rather than the construction of them) proud. Probably the closest a someone's gotten to making a Tony Scott film.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2