Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

Top Gun apparently the whole film was shot on IMAX, only partially for Tenet.

With the bigger brand power, I hope Top Gun takes all the IMAX screens and Tenet gets NONE.

In America, it does not seem there is a conflict. Top Gun releases June 26th and Tenet releases July 17th. Solid 3 weeks of play for Top Gun. 

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

Top Gun apparently the whole film was shot on IMAX, only partially for Tenet.

With the bigger brand power, I hope Top Gun takes all the IMAX screens and Tenet gets NONE.

Just some clarity

Top Gun was not shot on any IMAX format. It was primarily shot on the Sony Venice and is entirely digitally photographed. 

It may have a formatted for IMAX version (which is where they open/take away some of the matte box to the digital IMAX ratio for those theatres, e.g Blade Runner 2049/MI6/Aquaman). Sometimes for select sequences or the entire film.

A majority of films that get an IMAX release aren't shot on IMAX and others like Avengers are shot on the Arri IMAX which is an Alexa 65 branded with IMAX (So they can sell it as being shot on IMAX). Some of Top Gun may be shot on this but I can't find any listings. 

In the featurette where they mention IMAX for Top Gun they're very careful to say "we're shooting on six IMAX quality camera's" for the cockpit scenes referring to the Sony Venice and how they compare to the Alexa 65. Both of which are still very high end and excellent Digital cameras but It would be very difficult to get 6 real IMAX film cameras into one cockpit interior. 

Tenet, WW1984 and No Time to Die are the only film's releasing this year (Which is the most we've had in a year) which have real/genuine 70MM IMAX footage (the full ratio which is bigger than the Digital IMAX ratio and is the highest quality film you can shoot on).

We have yet to see which ones get an actual 70MM IMAX release (With Tenet the only one that definitely will). 70MM IMAX is rarely used because of how large and noisy the cameras are but filmmakers like Nolan are big on the format and continue to push it. I think less than 20 feature films have 70MM IMAX footage.

Infographic for ratio. Widescreen vs Digital IMAX vs 70mm IMAX

There are also a lot of different projection formats for something shot on 70MM IMAX.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Just some clarity

Top Gun was not shot on any IMAX format. It was primarily shot on the Sony Venice and is entirely digitally photographed. 

It may have a formatted for IMAX version (which is where they open/take away some of the matte box to the digital IMAX ratio for those theatres, e.g Blade Runner 2049/MI6/Aquaman). Sometimes for select sequences or the entire film.

A majority of films that get an IMAX release aren't shot on IMAX and others like Avengers are shot on the Arri IMAX which is an Alexa 65 branded with IMAX (So they can sell it as being shot on IMAX). Some of Top Gun may be shot on this but I can't find any listings. 

In the featurette where they mention IMAX for Top Gun they're very careful to say "we're shooting on six IMAX quality camera's" for the cockpit scenes referring to the Sony Venice and how they compare to the Alexa 65. Both of which are still very high end and excellent Digital cameras but It would be very difficult to get 6 real IMAX film cameras into one cockpit interior. 

Tenet, WW1984 and No Time to Die are the only film's releasing this year (Which is the most we've had in a year) which have real/genuine 70MM IMAX footage (the full ratio which is bigger than the Digital IMAX ratio and is the highest quality film you can shoot on).

We have yet to see which ones get an actual 70MM IMAX release (With Tenet the only one that definitely will). 70MM IMAX is rarely used because of how large and noisy the cameras are but filmmakers like Nolan are big on the format and continue to push it. I think less than 20 feature films have 70MM IMAX footage.

There are also a lot of different projection formats for something shot on 70MM IMAX.

That Sony camera sounds pretty badass though. If I'm reading right, it can do 6k resolution at 1.5 to 1 ratio (3:2). That is very similar to old school film IMAX ratio. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like a dumb move by Paramount in the UK. IMAX is not going to side with them over Nolan/WB. Paramount should release it on June 26th in the UK, same as America. 

Avoiding Euro Cup and stuff?

Too bad we know the UK will get knocked out by Iceland in the early rounds 👀

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That Sony camera sounds pretty badass though. If I'm reading right, it can do 6k resolution at 1.5 to 1 ratio (3:2). That is very similar to old school film IMAX ratio. 

Yeah it sounds really great, the film has a 4K DI and mastering as well which means it wont be a 2K upscale like most blockbusters but genuine 4K so I'm sure it'll look gorgeous and I'm definitely checking it out in the best format possible. Kosinski also has a great visual style.

So despite it being able to shoot in that ratio I don't think they'll format it for that. The maximum they'll format it for is the digital IMAX ratio. Most films shoot in quite a tall ratio but on the view screen you'll have different boxes displayed. You'll have the full image and then within that, the safety box which might be 16:9, and inside that your widescreen box 2:39:1. So on set you'll try get as close to the image you want via the widescreen box and the safety/extra image will let you reframe in post if need or have the 'formatted for IMAX version or have digital zoom in/outs.

So kind of like this but there are more drastic versions or lesser version depending your intentions with the film and the camera setting you choose (16:9 or widescreen/quality setting with the camera to maximise potential)

There have been two films though that weren't shot of 70MM IMAX that increased the ratio of scenes in their film above widescreen/digital IMAX and 16:9 to the full IMAX ratio. Those being The Lion King and Tron Legacy (same director a Top Gun so there's a very slim chance) but I think that's purely because they were able to extend the image digitally for those scenes being mostly CGI. Whereas Top Gun is very much in-camera so it's less likely. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Yeah it sounds really great, the film has a 4K DI and mastering as well which means it wont be a 2K upscale like most blockbusters but genuine 4K so I'm sure it'll look gorgeous and I'm definitely checking it out in the best format possible. Kosinski also has a great visual style.

So despite it being able to shoot in that ratio I don't think they'll format it for that. The maximum they'll format it for is the digital IMAX ratio. Most films shoot in quite a tall ratio but on the view screen you'll have different boxes displayed. You'll have the full image and then within that, the safety box which might be 16:9, and inside that your widescreen box 2:39:1. So on set you'll try get as close to the image you want via the widescreen box and the safety/extra image will let you reframe in post if need or have the 'formatted for IMAX version or have digital zoom in/outs.

So kind of like this but there are more drastic versions or lesser version depending your intentions with the film and the camera setting you choose (16:9 or widescreen/quality setting with the camera to maximise potential)

There have been two films though that weren't shot of 70MM IMAX that increased the ratio of scenes in their film above widescreen/digital IMAX and 16:9 to the full IMAX ratio. Those being The Lion King and Tron Legacy (same director a Top Gun so there's a very slim chance) but I think that's purely because they were able to extend the image digitally for those scenes being mostly CGI. Whereas Top Gun is very much in-camera so it's less likely. 

Yeah, IMDB lists Maverick at only 1.9 for IMAX version. Tenet is listed at both 1.43 and 1.9 for IMAX.

In theory these digital cameras are going to become good enough to easily replace those old film IMAX cameras. Nolan is stubborn as hell, but I hope at some point he'll switch. The regular widescreen 70mm footage in Dunkirk did not look great on the IMAX screen. The IMAX footage of course looked phenomenal. My thought is you want consistency for the entire movie. If you could get a 8-10k image at 1.4 or 1.5 ratio, that is pretty damn similar to film IMAX. 

53 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

In America, it does not seem there is a conflict. Top Gun releases June 26th and Tenet releases July 17th. Solid 3 weeks of play for Top Gun. 

Indeed... 

But here in the UK they are day and date the same release. Should be fun. I would think one of them will move.

53 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Just some clarity

I may be a bit out of the loop, but I was under the impression that digital IMAX cameras are the new thing, like the ones that were used on Avengers. I'm aware that the cameras used on Top Gun 2 are digital not traditional film IMAX. 

Also... I appreciate you are trying to share information, but I am well aware of how IMAX branding works and that vast majority of "IMAX" releases are identical to the non-IMAX version.

Edited by Avatree

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like a dumb move by Paramount in the UK. IMAX is not going to side with them over Nolan/WB. Paramount should release it on June 26th in the UK, same as America. 

The timing is due to holidays. American holidays are earlier than British ones. 17 July is the weekend before holidays start.

Same reason as why every Pixar film gets a June release in the USA, but a late July release in the UK.

Studios reckon it is worth delaying them so they can profit off the school holidays. I'm not convinced it is worth it, if it means going against a rival blockbuster on same day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I may be a bit out of the loop, but I was under the impression that digital IMAX cameras are the new thing, like the ones that were used on Avengers. I'm aware that the cameras used on Top Gun 2 are digital not traditional film IMAX. 

They are new, but not necessarily better. Film IMAX has theoretical resolution equivalent to about 18k. I do think some of these digital cameras are getting closer and closer to being a really good replacement and I hope Nolan will embrace them at some point. That 6k Sony camera for Maverick sounds pretty badass to me. Big downside for the film IMAX camera is that it's so loud, you can't really shoot dialogue scenes with it. 

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

giphy.gif

You really think cinemas in the UK will prioritise an American made pro-American film over a British film made with IMAX cameras from a director who's last film made 70 mil in the UK (I would be surprised if Top Gun 2 whole run even makes Tenet's opening weekend there)? And Top Gun wasn't made with IMAX cameras. IMAX cares more about their relationship with Nolan than some nobody who made Tron Legacy.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

If they do stick to the same release date in the UK, Top Gun will be in half the screens that Tenet gets, and mostly non-PLF. 

26 minutes ago, Avatree said:

The timing is due to holidays. American holidays are earlier than British ones. 17 July is the weekend before holidays start.

Same reason as why every Pixar film gets a June release in the USA, but a late July release in the UK.

Studios reckon it is worth delaying them so they can profit off the school holidays. I'm not convinced it is worth it, if it means going against a rival blockbuster on same day.

That's interesting on the holiday schedule. Thank you for explaining to me. I agree with you that it would be better to open earlier with less competition for screens.

When it comes to IMAX in particular, Nolan/Warner are very close with the IMAX executives. The best scenario Paramount could hope for is to get shared screens where they trade showtimes in IMAX. But I tend to think they would not even get this. Nolan will push for his film to get full IMAX treatment in his home country. I feel Maverick would be much better off with the June 26th date in the UK. 

Yeah, anyone thinking Tenet doesn't get the majority - including exclusivity in prime locations like the BFI - of IMAX screens is deluded.

And even beyond IMAX, the Nolan brand far surpasses Top Gun, especially in the UK. It's going to have far more big (capacity) screens than Top Gun. 

Yes, there's the Euros, with the final in London, and school holidays, but I think Paramount would be better served opening a week ahead of the US, than 3 weeks later... It's hardly gonna play that well with younger demos in any case.

• Like 2

Cruise has not had a non MI big hit in a long time. Even Edge of Tomorrow with universal rave under performed big time. This is a sequel but I dont think anyone asked for a sequel to Top Gun. That was a product of 80's and I dont see this doing well at all. 80s nostalgia is not going to help. Definitely not in OS markets. Is Top Gun even beloved over in UK !!!!

Cruise is popular in Asia and if the spectacle is good it could do well there. But its not breaking out in domestic or Europe for sure. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Cruise has not had a non MI big hit in a long time. Even Edge of Tomorrow with universal rave under performed big time. This is a sequel but I dont think anyone asked for a sequel to Top Gun. That was a product of 80's and I dont see this doing well at all. 80s nostalgia is not going to help. Definitely not in OS markets. Is Top Gun even beloved over in UK !!!!

Cruise is popular in Asia and if the spectacle is good it could do well there. But its not breaking out in domestic or Europe for sure. 

The original TG made about the same OS as domestic. And that was in the 80s when the OS market was not that developed

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You really think cinemas in the UK will prioritise an American made pro-American film over a British film made with IMAX cameras from a director who's last film made 70 mil in the UK (I would be surprised if Top Gun 2 whole run even makes Tenet's opening weekend there)? And Top Gun wasn't made with IMAX cameras. IMAX cares more about their relationship with Nolan than some nobody who made Tron Legacy.

I think Top Gun 2 will be huge, and yes I think it is set to be a more successful film than Tenet. But, that's just my opinion.

As for your claim that Tenet is a "british film", why would audiences think that? Dunkirk was a massive hit in the UK but that is part of our history. I don't see why audiences would associate Tenet as being British? It's not set in the UK and it's a sci-fi spy movie with an American cast. It's an American film. in fact disregard audiences, why do you even think it is a British film? it isn't.

As for IMAX - it's not impossible for both have IMAX screens.

I personally suspect Top Gun might move forward a week or two.

Edited by Avatree