Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I really can't see either movie getting a November slot, solely because of IMAX space. Both Wondy and Tenet have scenes and sequences filmed in IMAX, which means both WB and IMAX want them to have IMAX theaters as much as possible. Assuming Black Widow is on the 6th, which is very very likely, that's not only strong direct competition, but will probably command IMAX for at least two weeks, being such a big movie. If they move one or the other to the GvK slot, then they get to have it for 5 days until No Time to Die drops, which also was filmed in IMAX and will command those theaters for a few weeks, probably until December 18th. And sure, maybe WB could bully Black Widow on the 6th, but Disney and Marvel will have a lot to say about that.

I'm still very much in the camp that if Wondy doesn't come out in August, it's getting that December slot, while Tenet moves to next summer.

12 hours ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I really can't see either movie getting a November slot, solely because of IMAX space. Both Wondy and Tenet have scenes and sequences filmed in IMAX, which means both WB and IMAX want them to have IMAX theaters as much as possible. Assuming Black Widow is on the 6th, which is very very likely, that's not only strong direct competition, but will probably command IMAX for at least two weeks, being such a big movie. If they move one or the other to the GvK slot, then they get to have it for 5 days until No Time to Die drops, which also was filmed in IMAX and will command those theaters for a few weeks, probably until December 18th. And sure, maybe WB could bully Black Widow on the 6th, but Disney and Marvel will have a lot to say about that.

I'm still very much in the camp that if Wondy doesn't come out in August, it's getting that December slot, while Tenet moves to next summer.

Dont WB already have slotted in Zilla vs Kong in November. That should have Imax already. 

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dont WB already have slotted in Zilla vs Kong in November. That should have Imax already. 

Yes, they'll have IMAX on that date. But it'll only be for 5 days, which isn't really going to help either movie, since they were filmed with IMAX cameras, and want to get that premium money for as long as possible.

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Millions were out of jobs in the 2008 financial crisis, there was no notable impact on the boxoffice. Consumer spending was still pretty low too when Avatar came out (again, because of the crisis). The movie ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.

Also I think if people are rushing to go to beaches and stuff, I can see them rush to the cinemas too.

It's not just about money (insert Joker gif) it's that even if things are getting back to normal by then people still won't want to pack into a tight space with lots of other people.

I know July seems ages away but WB simply aren't going to want to release a really expensive film when demand is anything less than total. Blockbusters just aren't happening this summer.

18 hours ago, TLK said:

I don't see a Nolan movie going against a Bond movie so November is out.

November might be out, period if we get another Corona virus outbrea, which we have been told by the CDC to expect......

On 4/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, MrPink said:

hey all, i'm social distancing by being the only person camping at a theater right now. hopefully i don't get fined

Something to pass the time. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Top Gun moving to Christmas just blocked this from moving to December because this was 'filmed in IMAX', and so was Bond which is 4 weeks before.

If 2 filmed in IMAX movies release, IMAX can shorten it to 3 weeks if needed. Nolan also gets special treatment. This is from the IMAX earnings call

Jim Goss -- Barrington Research -- Analyst

And finally over the years, you've tinkered with optimizing the nature of your film schedule, and you have seemed to converge to say no more than one or two weeks per title unless it's something unusual perhaps Star Wars. I'm wondering and I think the DMR costs have gone down as it's been used Marci compared a fast turnaround. So I'm wondering, are you happy with how things are working at this stage. And I've asked probably over the years about the notion of split screen, when you do have only one week say with that week's blockbuster, is there anymore inclination or receptivity to doing something like that either in terms of the screens or to the screens during the week, as time has gone on?

Richard Gelfond -- Chief Executive Officer

So to your first question, Jim about are we happy with the way kind of the slate has fallen. The answer is yes. We've used our position in the ecosystem and our relationships with filmmakers and studios to try and optimize the schedule for us. One asterisk on that would be people who film with our cameras, where we over index. I think that's where we're going to try and carve out more screen time for them. So historically with Chris Nolan's films, we've done that. And I think as there are more films, film with our cameras, you'll see us protect those filmmakers more both for relationship reasons and as we believe it will be in our economic interests. In terms of split screens, we've done more of that internationally than we have in the past. And it's worked out pretty well for us, especially a couple of films that are more likely play to PG kind of audience.

The Dec 18th Dune spot will likely go to WW84 in the end. Bond will get 3 and a half weeks IMAX and then WW84 will take over. Sending Dune out at that spot will kill that movie since it will lose all screens to Top Gun 2.

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If 2 filmed in IMAX movies release, IMAX can shorten it to 3 weeks if needed. Nolan also gets special treatment. This is from the IMAX earnings call

The Dec 18th Dune spot will likely go to WW84 in the end. Bond will get 3 and a half weeks IMAX and then WW84 will take over. Sending Dune out at that spot will kill that movie since it will lose all screens to Top Gun 2.

But then WW84 would only get a week before Top Gun will have to take over...again, Top Gun was also actually filmed in IMAX.

Edited by antovolk

2 minutes ago, antovolk said:

But then WW84 would only get a week before Top Gun will have to take over...again, that was also actually filmed in IMAX.

It wasn't one of their priority movies. IMAX laid out the 4 movies they had as priority which were their IMAX film movies

However, there will be four prominent large-format releases in 2020, kicking off with a franchise first for James Bond, “No Time to Die” (April 10). Daniel Craig’s fifth and final outing as 007 is directed by Cary Fukunaga (“Beasts of No Nation”) and shot on both 65mm film and IMAX by “La La Land” Oscar-winner Linus Sandgren (which bodes well for exotic eye candy in Jamaica, Norway, Italy, and Scotland). “Tenet” (July 17) is Nolan’s time-bending espionage thriller costarring John David Washington (“BlacKkKlansman”) and Robert Pattinson (“The Batman”), shot by go-to cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema (“Dunkirk,” “Interstellar”), who’s revolutionized shooting in IMAX and should have some new wrinkles for this Bond on steroids adventure. “Wonder Woman 1984” (June 5), Patty Jenkins’ nostalgic, deep-dive into the period, is shot in mixed film formats by Matthew Jensen. And “Death on the Nile” (October 9), director-actor Kenneth Branagh’s return as Belgian detective Hercule Poirot on another exotic murder case, is shot in Egypt by cinematographer Haris Zambarloukos.

These 4 movies will pretty much get precedence over anything else on IMAX this year.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

How is that possible. WB should have Imax contract for at least 2 weeks for Dune. So no way Top Gun gets Imax with this release date. Unless they come into sharing agreement. 

This is also true. Would be stronger if Tenet or WW84 come in.

Just now, antovolk said:

But then WW84 would only get a week before Top Gun will have to take over...again, that was also actually filmed in IMAX.

How is that possible. WB should have Imax contract for at least 2 weeks for Dune. So no way Top Gun gets Imax with this release date. Unless they come into sharing agreement. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Since Top Gun was filmed in IMAX it automatically takes priority over anything else. This exact situation happened with Valerian and Dunkirk in July 2017. Valerian lost the screens as soon as Nolan announced that date. Besson even complained about that on the press circuit

• Like 1