Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

[IMAX Corporation CEO Rich Gelfond on Q1 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

...Sure. Well, first of all, no one at IMAX has seen it yet, but I've heard the movie is incredible and furthers the crystal and legend of doing really cutting-edge phenomenal storytelling. So I really look forward to that.

...And I know Chris really would like to be come out with the film for theaters, but that's up to a lot of things including government regulations and the virus and all sorts of things. So we've started to study the capacity issues.

And as you probably know a successful cinema chain over a long period of time the occupancy rates are in the 15% to 20% range. So one way to think about it is that they have a big multiplex and they have a lot of screens in it depending how much product they have, they can do pretty well with capacity constraints.

IMAX since it's a single-screen theater has a different issue, because let's say, arbitrarily at the beginning capacity is going to be set at 50%. And by the way I should stop there and say, there are no real rules on that, where that comes from is what was talked about in China, but no one has said that that's what's going to happen. But I think if that happens that will be for a period of time. And then after that period of time elapses there will be adjustments made to that.

...Certain filmmakers are very anxious to have their movies release. So I don't know anyone in America who's pushing harder than Chris Nolan to get the theaters open and to get his movie released in July when it's scheduled for. So it's really a balance. And I think it's -- I've frankly never seen closer cooperation of the studios and the exhibitors than now. There's just almost a daily dialogue going on for everybody's trying to assess when are the likely opening dates and what is the optimal time. And I think people are really working together to make it happen...

The obvious solution is to wait till the new Sydney IMAX is completed, premiere it at the new Sydney IMAX and invite to the premiere those who attended the final screening of TDK with special introduction by Christopher Nolan at the old Sydney IMAX. 

I have no ulterior motives in making this suggestion. 

45 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

So, essentially IMAX is saying there is a good chance the release date is going to change.

No, what IMAX is saying is that the only way the date changes is if governments don't allow for a July reopening.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why not they consider Oct slot, it has been a prime slot for Oscar hit since VEnom 2 moved

They probably are considering that slot, especially as In The Heights didn't move there as some expected. But again, only if July reopenings don't happen. WB don't wanna be the ones telling cinemas they might as well not reopen until later, which is what Tenet/Mulan/WW84 moving would signal 

Edited by antovolk

Think a lot of international territories will follow the Czech Republic (though maybe with a 2-4 week delay) in re-opening. So, by the end of June, unless there's a huge resurgence, the majority of international markets should be open for play, with restrictions in place (i.e. half empty, more time in-between showings for cleaning, but counter-balanced by having a far longer theatrical window and access to more % of screens due to lack of competition).

Again, unless there is a resurgence - which is obviously not out of the question - I think international is very possible for a mid-July release.

The question then remains domestic: if there are restrictions in some states, but they're big media markets (NY, California), do they push the domestic back? Do they open everywhere they're allowed to?

There's loads of questions, but I think the main point at the moment is that there are a lot of possible outcomes, so a decision regarding its delay probably won't come for the next 4 weeks.

Now watch them announce a change in the next few hours, lol.

Edited by reddevil19

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Think a lot of international territories will follow the Czech Republic (though maybe with a 2-4 week delay) in re-opening. So, by the end of June, unless there's a huge resurgence, the majority of international markets should be open for play, with restrictions in place (i.e. half empty, more time in-between showings for cleaning, but counter-balanced by having a far longer theatrical window and access to more % of screens due to lack of competition).

Again, unless there is a resurgence - which is obviously not out of the question - I think international is very possible for a mid-July release.

The question then remains domestic: if there are restrictions in some states, but they're big media markets (NY, California), do they push the domestic back? Do they open everywhere they're allowed to?

There's loads of questions, but I think the main point at the moment is that there are a lot of possible outcomes, so a decision regarding its delay probably won't come for the next 4 weeks.

I think a couple of countries will accelerate this re-opening process if their early stages of reopening ends up being a success. Spain has said that they will open cinemas late May which could (if Spain doesn't spike again) motivate other countries to open cinemas again sooner. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Even the pandemic miraculously stop by June,, it is too late to build the buzz....especially for an original film  

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Even the pandemic miraculously stop by June,, it is too late to build the buzz....especially for an original film  

Yes and no.

Firstly, by being first out the gate, the buzz around it will build because of that - the first huge budget movie Hollywood dares release. There will be conversation about it because of that, including in general news, as relates to COVID-19 and the reopening of economies. It will be in the public consciousness. Now, there will be reluctance to go, which is why the opening will be deflated, sure. But the awareness will be there, and with a very long period with little to no competition (Tenet and Mulan will have a month with just each other, essentially), should there not be a spike in cases due to cinemas opening, then more and more people will check it out. 

I really don't think the impact on its end box office will be as bad as some predict. It won't get there the way we were expecting a year ago, but I think it will be a success. It will leave some money on the table compared to an opening next year, but: a. as has been said repeatedly, it's about more than just this movie, it's about building up trust for consumers to go out again, with a huge product; b. supporting the exhibitors.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Why not they consider Oct slot, it has been a prime slot for Oscar hit since VEnom 2 moved

Tenet has no chance to be as good as future Oscar winner Venom2. ;)

Edited by Valonqar

12 hours ago, antovolk said:

No, what IMAX is saying is that the only way the date changes is if governments don't allow for a July reopening.

There's also the specter of liability. If theaters in the US open without indemnification, they will be assuming risk if an outbreak is tied to a movie screening. So there are two parts to this. First, will governments allow theaters to be open? Secondly, will theaters be willing to assume the risk of lawsuits, assuming they are not indemnified.

I continue to think Tenet opening in July is a long shot. However, now I have a much better understanding why it hasn't moved off the date yet.

29 minutes ago, doublejack said:

There's also the specter of liability. If theaters in the US open without indemnification, they will be assuming risk if an outbreak is tied to a movie screening. So there are two parts to this. First, will governments allow theaters to be open? Secondly, will theaters be willing to assume the risk of lawsuits, assuming they are not indemnified.

I continue to think Tenet opening in July is a long shot. However, now I have a much better understanding why it hasn't moved off the date yet.

I think that's over-thinking it. If cinemas do reopen, they would do so under certain government/international regulator guidelines in any case - as I am sure other businesses will, such as airlines until there is clear evidence of a proper outbreak control or a vaccine. This would include limited concessions (perhaps strictly bottled drinks and pre-packaged snacks or not even that) and empty seats. 

On top of that, I am sure legal cover can be included with any ticket purchase if it came to that - literally buying a ticket comes with a disclaimer/waiver. 

Cinemas will do their best to find solutions to follow guidelines, even if a risk remains - if governments around the world give the green light to reopen and Hollywood provides a product, they WILL play. 

Edited by reddevil19

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

On top of that, I am sure legal cover can be included with any ticket purchase if it came to that - literally buying a ticket comes with a disclaimer/waiver

If it comes to so far as that, should studios and distributors in good conscience be releasing stuff - particularly major cultural event tentpoles that marketing and social pressure (including spoiler culture - plus don't forget NATO and distributors are planning for stars and directors to record PSAs about encouraging people that it's safe enough to come back to theaters etc) will be pushing people towards seeing on opening - without providing an at-home option? There are some in the industry who will say - you have a choice to wait 90 days or however long the theatrical window is in your country (16 weeks for UK) but in today's on demand culture that's..not a fair choice.

There's an entire moral dimension to this that the industry has been avoiding.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, antovolk said:

If it comes to so far as that, should studios and distributors in good conscience be releasing stuff - particularly major cultural event tentpoles that marketing and social pressure (including spoiler culture - plus don't forget NATO and distributors are planning for stars and directors to record PSAs about encouraging people that it's safe enough to come back to theaters etc) will be pushing people towards seeing on opening - without providing an at-home option? There are some in the industry who will say - you have a choice to wait 90 days or however long the theatrical window is in your country (16 weeks for UK) but in today's on demand culture that's..not a fair choice.

There's an entire moral dimension to this that the industry has been avoiding.

Meh. I'm not sure I'm best to debate the moral issue - especially in this thread - as my views might be considered... extreme. 

24 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think that's over-thinking it. If cinemas do reopen, they would do so under certain government/international regulator guidelines in any case - as I am sure other businesses will, such as airlines until there is clear evidence of a proper outbreak control or a vaccine. This would include limited concessions (perhaps strictly bottled drinks and pre-packaged snacks or not even that) and empty seats. 

On top of that, I am sure legal cover can be included with any ticket purchase if it came to that - literally buying a ticket comes with a disclaimer/waiver. 

Cinemas will do their best to find solutions to follow guidelines, even if a risk remains - if governments around the world give the green light to reopen and Hollywood provides a product, they WILL play. 

I'm not overthinking the situation. https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/immunity-lawsuit-mcconnell/

That article has a very clear liberal bias, but don't mind that. The salient point is absolutely true. 

If the US government does not indemnify businesses, then they will be assuming the risk if they open. Don't underestimate how much of an obstacle that is. This is the reason why film production is not going to resume any time soon, either.

14 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I'm not overthinking the situation. https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/immunity-lawsuit-mcconnell/

That article has a very clear liberal bias, but don't mind that. The salient point is absolutely true. 

If the US government does not indemnify businesses, then they will be assuming the risk if they open. Don't underestimate how much of an obstacle that is. This is the reason why film production is not going to resume any time soon, either.

Which is why I reckon they will. Trump needs his base for November and he ain't getting them if he doesn't show he's willing to put the economy and "freedom" above all else. I will not argue the merits of that way of thinking, particularly because in his case it would come from a place of self-interest and not actual strongly held beliefs. But he does need something to energise his base and far-reaching policies to protect businesses from liability, paired with at least the appearance of sensible safety regulations (which cinemas will be willing to take up in any case, voluntarily) would probably help him, as the left-leaning media and politicians have embraced the extension of restrictions. The roles have been assigned for a long while and he's not going to be converting people now, he just needs to ensure that his base, which has proven it's more likely to ignore the risk and go out, has a reason to do so and a cause to champion. 

Again, not arguing any actual moral convictions or debating the potential risk factors here. I'm trying to look at it from a political point of view, from the current administration's position and its target demos. I really think this is their best option. 

But anyway, don't want to discuss this further, as I don't think it's the appropriate venue. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Which is why I reckon they will. Trump needs his base for November and he ain't getting them if he doesn't show he's willing to put the economy and "freedom" above all else. I will not argue the merits of that way of thinking, particularly because in his case it would come from a place of self-interest and not actual strongly held beliefs. But he does need something to energise his base and far-reaching policies to protect businesses from liability, paired with at least the appearance of sensible safety regulations (which cinemas will be willing to take up in any case, voluntarily) would probably help him, as the left-leaning media and politicians have embraced the extension of restrictions. The roles have been assigned for a long while and he's not going to be converting people now, he just needs to ensure that his base, which has proven it's more likely to ignore the risk and go out, has a reason to do so and a cause to champion. 

Again, not arguing any actual moral convictions or debating the potential risk factors here. I'm trying to look at it from a political point of view, from the current administration's position and its target demos. I really think this is their best option. 

But anyway, don't want to discuss this further, as I don't think it's the appropriate venue. 

I'm not going to go off on a tangent on this either. I just want to note that in addition to what you said, the US government is under split rule. So if both parties don't buy in, then indemnification won't happen. It is not a guaranteed thing.