Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

48 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Other movies will follow suit as Tenet approaches and it looks like 2000+ theaters will be open by the Tenet release date.  Expect a busy August at the theaters. 

This will be Nolan’s boldest move yet.  There will either have a captive audience or the film will flail at the boxoffice. I think he’s going to nail this. Most states are planning phased reopenings for May. By July theaters will be part of the Phase 2-3s.  I’m excited to see Tenet in theaters. Go Nolan!

By the time Tenet releases, it's gonna be too late for studios to move their films to August. I doubt we're going to see studios move their movies to an earlier date.

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

As we've all seen, all the headlines of the past week or so about major territories reopening cinemas - it's all about Tenet. If this pans out, smart for WB to jump on to this.

But this may be an even bigger turning point if there's widespread backlash.

That's what I've been saying. It's obviously a risk - you'd be mad to think otherwise. And there will undoubtedly be money left on the table compared to a re-scheduling. But IF it sticks and there's enough cinemas re-opening, the buzz around that will be tied into Tenet. There will be loads of free publicity with the reopening news mentioning Tenet.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

No

Even if they open theaters, studios will lose a lot of money. Tenet has no chance of opening in its date. It's like throwing money out a window. The budget for Tenet is 250M. It will open next year when it will recoup its huge budget

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Even if they open theaters, studios will lose a lot of money. Tenet has no chance of opening in its date. It's like throwing money out a window. The budget for Tenet is 250M. It will open next year when it will recoup its huge budget

No

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Slight correction; the reported production budget for this movie is $205 million. 

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

If more than a handful number of people catch COVID from going to see Tenet at the theaters, gonna look like mega assholes. 

Nah. The choice is left to the people whether to go and risk it or not. Theatres won't force anyone to go. If I go see Tenet on that date, God willing, and I end up getting sick, I'm not going to blame Cineplex. The blame will only fall on myself.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Nah. The choice is left to the people whether to go and risk it or not. Theatres won't force anyone to go. If I go see Tenet on that date, God willing, and I end up getting sick, I'm not going to blame Cineplex. The blame will only fall on myself.

Sure, but that would be assuming those people who got sick at the theater don’t spread it to others unknowingly who for example are going to the grocery store getting necessities.

Or spread it to workers

Edited by MrPink

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Sure, but that would be assuming those people who got sick at the theater don’t spread it to others unknowingly who for example are going to the grocery store getting necessities.

Or spread it to workers

The way I see it, you could spread it just by going to the grocery store. Period. Eventually we have to get back out there in the world. I'm not saying now, but eventually. The problem I foresee is whenever that happens will be too soon in many people's eyes. You're going to see a ton of discontent with re-opening strategies from people who think we should just live like this indefinitely. 

19 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The way I see it, you could spread it just by going to the grocery store. Period. Eventually we have to get back out there in the world. I'm not saying now, but eventually. The problem I foresee is whenever that happens will be too soon in many people's eyes. You're going to see a ton of discontent with re-opening strategies from people who think we should just live like this indefinitely. 

Yes you can spread it by going to the grocery store but I would imagine most people would find risking infection to get necessities like food or going to work  is going to be more understandable than going to see a movie. Not to mention being a room with circulation in a relatively small auditorium probably increases your chances of infection as opposed to keeping your distance in a grocery store.

I don't know what the threshold is of when is acceptable, but risking lives to see a movie simply isn't good optics, and if you rush it to the point where a not insignificant number of people are potentially getting sick at the theaters, it will sink the theaters in a much more permanent manner.

Edited by MrPink
  • Thanks 1

A lot of states are starting to open up now, but if this gambit proves deadly (which I think it will), this will only further delay the opening of theaters. I think the July date is/was obtainable, but only if states stayed the current course. I think come the end of this month/June, we are going to see a surge in Covid deaths which will mean Tenet will be delayed. I don't see CA and NY allowing theaters to open if Covid surges again.