Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 hours ago, CloneWars said:

A lot of states are starting to open up now, but if this gambit proves deadly (which I think it will), this will only further delay the opening of theaters. I think the July date is/was obtainable, but only if states stayed the current course. I think come the end of this month/June, we are going to see a surge in Covid deaths which will mean Tenet will be delayed. I don't see CA and NY allowing theaters to open if Covid surges again.

There's no "if" here. The same politicians pushing for re-openings acknowledge what a terrible idea it is

This is gonna backfire

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Nah. The choice is left to the people whether to go and risk it or not. Theatres won't force anyone to go. If I go see Tenet on that date, God willing, and I end up getting sick, I'm not going to blame Cineplex. The blame will only fall on myself.

No but they will certainly push for people to go, not just with Tenet's marketing itself but also PSAs from name talent as part of a big reopening campaign, going "we're safe, come back!". And if you don't wanna risk your life at that point? Gotta wait until Christmas for the Blu-ray. Let's not pretend there isn't a massive element of FOMO with these big movies especially, putting into question whether - let's put aside economics here - it's morally responsible to be putting them out there without an in home option from day 1 or a reasonably fast turnaround.

End of lockdown isn't the end of this whole crisis and theaters won't be truly safe and back to normal until the world is and there's a vaccine/cure/herd immunity or whatever means the situation is stabilized and the fear is no more. People need to step back and at least recognise that in the decision making. So many seem to genuinely think just lifting the stay at home orders will be the genuine end of it. Especially with dubious leadership of UK and the US it won't be.

Edited by antovolk

theaters here are looking at a late June opening too, not sure what they'll play but I'm only interested in Tenet & WW84 from the July/August lineup. following a movie's box office during a pandemic and a VOD dominated market sound intriguing 

Although the first Wonder Woman was banned here for "political reasons" so I've been curious if the same will happen to the sequel, they didn't seem to care for JL when that had Gal front & center so hopefully that silly controversy has died down.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

theaters here are looking at a late June opening too, not sure what they'll play but I'm only interested in Tenet & WW84 from the July/August lineup. following a movie's box office during a pandemic and a VOD dominated market sound intriguing 

Ah yes, dominated by Trolls 2.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

is this really gonna bomb or it's just clickbait articles that claim there's low interest and not just becasue of Covid-19?

I think we need a 2nd trailer to re-evaluate how much interest is there for this. although I agree with lorddemaxus, this could very well have a low opening and leg it out for weeks if not months (Gravity Style).

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think we need a 2nd trailer to re-evaluate how much interest is there for this. although I agree with lorddemaxus, this could very well have a low opening and leg it out for weeks if not months (Gravity Style).

Gravity had strong opening for that type of a movie but it also had smaller budget. It was leggy af. WB really hit the October jackpot with that and Joker. So we;ll see.  Hoping for the best. 

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

is this really gonna bomb or it's just clickbait articles that claim there's low interest and not just becasue of Covid-19?

If it's the clickbait articles I'm thinking of, it's from the interview with the NATO chief who expects a smaller opening and leggier run due to the nature of how theaters would operate coming out of closure measures.

There's an incumbent advantage of the film being directed by Nolan, clearly that has draw, but any movie coming out soon is going to need to go through a marketing reset. To me, any measure of interest would be really difficult to parse out independently of the situation going on.

• Like 1

He has pledged to finish the film’s extensive post-production and visual effects work in the coming weeks and is fully committed to delivering the picture in time for its mid-July release date, despite the fact that social distancing has left many crew members fine-tuning things remotely.

Insiders expect that the studio will make a decision within a week about whether to hold “Tenet’s” planned debut on July 17 or push it back deeper into 2020. That’s because Warner Bros. will need to start revving up its marketing campaign for the film, and it won’t want to spend tens of millions of promotional dollars only to have to move it.

Pretty sure everyone has accepted that anything released for the remainder of the year might not reach their full potential like in any other year. Disney and WB (who have left their fall/holiday slate mostly untouched so far) seem to have most of the buzzy titles to provide theaters this year which probably explains why they're still sticking around while everyone else has pretty much retreated to 2021.

41 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if they move Tenet, would Disney delay Mulan? or would that be our first blockbuster in the COVID-era 

Probably. If Tenet moves that's gonna cause the same domino effect on July/August (including possibly WW84) that happened after Quiet Place 2. And given Tenet would likely move based on whether they can realistically expect cinemas to be open, that's even more so the case.

This is why exhibitors are pinning so much hopes on it and are frankly terrified of it moving. It's telling them they'd have to be closed for longer, even if (prematurely or not) governments allow them to open.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, MrPink said:

If more than a handful number of people catch COVID from going to see Tenet at the theaters, gonna look like mega assholes. 

They can’t pinpoint when people catch it. They could “claim” they caught it at the cinema, but can’t prove it. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They can’t pinpoint when people catch it. They could “claim” they caught it at the cinema, but can’t prove it. 

False. The burden of proof in a civil suit is not the same as it is for a criminal case. If multiple people come down with COVID around the same time and they all can be traced to a particular showing of a film, that theater's goose would be cooked in court.

I continue to say this and other films with a 2020 release date will need to switch to VOD or move into 2021. I do not see theaters opening on any scale this year in the US.

9 minutes ago, doublejack said:

If multiple people come down with COVID around the same time and they all can be traced to a particular showing of a film, that theater's goose would be cooked in court.

I know American got absolutely crazy over the years with lawsuit so anything is possible.

But for adult in the extremely well documented population about the risk (as much as the theater owner) I cannot imagine customer accepting willingly to take the risk to go a theater or restaurant to be able to sue them if they contact covid, specially from other patron and specially if they followed third party judge reasonable rules, try to sue a city if you get it in a subway or hospital, your hairdresser if you got it there or the grocery store. Business will not be automatically held in court responsible for a common disease being contracted in them obviously.

Worker could have an easier case, but customer it will be really hard

For a theater goose to be cooked.

1) Prove that it was contracted there (not necessarily hard, group of unconnected people getting it that night), plus:

2) Prove that the theater caused it (employee with symptoms or known carrier working) or failed to prevent it (if standard measure where not followed)

Otherwise they will not be liable (at least in all the country of the world except some place in the USA)

I'm not saying the theater will necessarily be liable but you could certainly trace a common pattern among infected people if it truly spread in a theater, similar to how the first major outbreak in DC was traced to a church in Georgetown. If that were to happen, it's just going to tank confidence for the movie-going public and getting them back to theaters.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

False. The burden of proof in a civil suit is not the same as it is for a criminal case. If multiple people come down with COVID around the same time and they all can be traced to a particular showing of a film, that theater's goose would be cooked in court.

I continue to say this and other films with a 2020 release date will need to switch to VOD or move into 2021. I do not see theaters opening on any scale this year in the US.

A direct to VoD release seems to be out of the question for this movie. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

A direct to VoD release seems to be out of the question for this movie. 

Yup.

From a purely moral perspective - *any* movie opening between now and a vaccine or whatever gets the health condition of the world back to normal (herd immunity *shudders*, other treatments?), especially cultural event opening-weekend-driven movies there's FOMO around, needs to have an in-home option available. So from that POV, Tenet should move the fuck back.

Don't forget there's not just the marketing campaign for the film...it's what's gonna be planned around cinemas reopening, all the name director, actor PSAs. Is it right to push people to that extent in this moment in time?

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1