Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Sure, but this has way more OS (specifically Asia) potential than that. Hell, even more DOM potential

That's true. Just crazy to me that you drop $225M production budget (and another $100M on marketing) when you know you need around $500M to break even. Maybe even closer to $600M for break-even. $325M of expenses and you don't get anywhere close to 100% of the box office revenue. 

• Like 1

Looks extremely promising so far. Can’t wait to see the actual film.

As for box office, that’s definitely one hell of a budget. Even more so when you consider Washington and Pattinson are probably less expensive actors than the likes of DiCaprio/McConaughey/Bale among Nolan’s previous huge budget films.

Inception adjusted is around $340M adjusted and with many less premium screens than this will likely get so that’s a good number to aim for. Depends on the films quality (which I’m sure will be great) and moreso marketing. Inception’s marketing campaign was brilliant back in the day.

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Ruling challenge: who is the person who set the rule that a TRAILER is pirated content. If it was piracy twitter would suspend accounts as would reddit and youtube for trailers 

The footage you had was recorded from a theater and was not intended to be shown online yet. That's pirated content. When the trailer gets uploaded on Warner Bros.' YouTube channel and places like Fandango MovieClips, then it's fair game to post.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nolan always comes under budget. This is costing less than 200 mil.

This. Definitely think his efficiency and always coming under budget is one of the reasons he is given anything he wants - he's shown he is reliable not just in terms of returns, but expenditure as well.

I do think this will once more end up under budget and prove financially successful. I'm looking at MI5 numbers ATM as the basis. Not a franchise, no big stars, but high concept, Nolan's brand to compensate. Mid-200's DOM, low-to-mid-400's OS.  

17 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

The footage you had was recorded from a theater and was not intended to be shown online yet. That's pirated content. When the trailer gets uploaded on Warner Bros.' YouTube channel and places like Fandango MovieClips, then it's fair game to post.

If you are applying the fair use doctrine then gifs from movies are also not legal as per fair use as per 17 USC 107

58 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's true. Just crazy to me that you drop $225M production budget (and another $100M on marketing) when you know you need around $500M to break even. Maybe even closer to $600M for break-even. $325M of expenses and you don't get anywhere close to 100% of the box office revenue. 

The way I see it, if Dunkirk has established a baseline of sorts, and Inception is the high end, then Interstellar is the middle ground. And while that gross won't get you a ton of profit, it'd probably be profitable. And WB was probably thrilled to hear from Nolan that he wanted to do some thing sci-fi/espionage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The way I see it, if Dunkirk has established a baseline of sorts, and Inception is the high end, then Interstellar is the middle ground. And while that gross won't get you a ton of profit, it'd probably be profitable. And WB was probably thrilled to hear from Nolan that he wanted to do some thing sci-fi/espionage.

That's a fair assessment. If I remember right, South Korea loved Interstellar and it also did pretty well in China. Those are markets WB will be counting on to deliver some nice numbers on this movie. 

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's a fair assessment. If I remember right, South Korea loved Interstellar and it also did pretty well in China. Those are markets WB will be counting on to deliver some nice numbers on this movie. 

On the flip side, there's no way this could match Dunkirk's UK total, which made up quite a bit for Korea at least.