Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

53 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Rian Johnson has some pull, I think. Don't think Knives Out drew that crowd based on Daniel Craig alone.

EDIT: I guess Chris Evans was a draw, but still...

My local cinema chain promotes the film on Facebook page using four Chris Evans photos in sweater and it works haha...

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Rian Johnson has some pull, I think. Don't think Knives Out drew that crowd based on Daniel Craig alone.

EDIT: I guess Chris Evans was a draw, but still...

Knives Out had the ensemble and premise as the pull. Evans is not a draw (as proven by his many many many flops), much less so Rian Johnson. 

50 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Knives Out had the ensemble and premise as the pull. Evans is not a draw (as proven by his many many many flops), much less so Rian Johnson. 

Thing is, outside of Marvel, he hadn't starred in a single studio film or movie with any marketing campaign since before the Cap movies. Snowpiercer? I barely knew it existed when it was in theaters, and I watch everything. Ditto The Iceman (where he's unrecognizable anyway) and Before We Go. His indie Gifted was a sleeper hit. 

Just saw the trailer. As anything Nolan, it looks great, but the reverse footage trick isn't exactly mind-blowing and you wouldn't guess from that trailer that this is a $225M budget movie.

And the editing at the end with the car crash... grey car appears out of nowhere, cars change direction from one cut to another, confusing as hell and I'm not sure that's the intended effect. It's supposed to be the big "wow" moment but it kind of fell flat for me. 

None of this matters though, it's Nolan. It will get a great buzz no matter what

I just watched The Rise of Skywalker in a regular theater. I was hoping for a Tenet trailer but was doubtful since it just came out this morning. The 2nd trailer, I see the WB LOGO, Syncopy logo, and I immediately grab my friends' arms on both sides of me, only to see the next shot of JDW far away from the glass, realizing that it's just the teaser trailer. I was crushed haha. I still like that teaser, but I wanted to watch that trailer on the big screen with my friends (who aren't really big movie fans like me but know who Christopher Nolan is). 

It's weird. Dunkirk trailer 2 came out a few days before Rogue One. I saw that with pretty much the same group of friends also opening Thursday night. In that same theater. And they played the Dunkirk teaser instead. And now, the same theater played the Tenet teaser instead of the full trailer. Bummer lol

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Nolan makes franchise films.

His movies all feel the same on every aspect :

look, photography, music, themes, subject matters, quasi absence of humor and emotion, a general coldness, style of acting and editing, a genuine disdain for anything fantasy, the dialogues and writing, the complexity of his stories, his obsession with time, Michael Cain etc

If you go see a Nolan movie you know exactly what you are going to get.

A Nolan movie won't surprise you in the least.

Just like at Mc Donalds.

Nolan makes great assembly line films from the Nolan factory.

Didn't you love Interstellar? What's up with you bashing on every film that isn't fucking Marvel or Bay? I don't get it. It's so tiresome.

5 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Just saw the trailer. As anything Nolan, it looks great, but the reverse footage trick isn't exactly mind-blowing and you wouldn't guess from that trailer that this is a $225M budget movie.

It's like James Bond. They shot in a bunch of countries, which isn't cheap. I wouldn't expect them to give away everything in the first trailer, regardless of how much they spent. 

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's like James Bond. They shot in a bunch of countries, which isn't cheap. I wouldn't expect them to give away everything in the first trailer, regardless of how much they spent. 

It's also funny when people say "reverse flow of time isn't that mind-blowing" because we're so used to computers throwing everything you want on the screen. Using practical effects, miniatures, in-camera tricks etc and perfectly blending them in with digital effects is going to be far more time-consuming and complicated, thus just adding to the bill. And of course, you've got the film format itself...

At the end of the day, there's a reason that, between TDK trilogy, Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk, his movies have received 25 Oscar nods in tech categories alone... It's all money well-spent.

• Like 2

think this should do better than dunkirk/interstellar. the inception vibes seem to have people more excited. also looking at the schedule and i guess it could be subject to change but late summer just looks totally dead next year. this can play thru august pretty easily. i'll say like $250m right now.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

think this should do better than dunkirk/interstellar. the inception vibes seem to have people more excited. also looking at the schedule and i guess it could be subject to change but late summer just looks totally dead next year. this can play thru august pretty easily. i'll say like $250m right now.

That would be a really great result. I'm curious to see how it does in China. 

14 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's curious that Washington got his very own credit. He'll certainly be a star after this but it's surprising they thought he was enough of one now to warrant it.

i think it's more like they're calling their shot that he's going to be a big deal more than anything else. like the "time for a new protagonist" tagline in the first teaser they're sure of this being a starmaking performance. like a "remember this name" type thing. or maybe they're hoping that people will connect the dots and figure out he's Denzel's boy idk.

• Like 1

I like that WB are in no uncertain terms telling you who the protagonist is. Only because people online seemed to have been confused despite the trades telling us that JDW was the lead. Annoyingly the internet has a habit of doing that when the protagonist is not a white male. Suddenly supporting actors are "co-leads." 

• Thanks 2