Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I think Top Gun 2 will be huge, and yes I think it is set to be a more successful film than Tenet. But, that's just my opinion.

As for your claim that Tenet is a "british film", why would audiences think that? Dunkirk was a massive hit in the UK but that is part of our history. I don't see why audiences would associate Tenet as being British? It's not set in the UK and it's a sci-fi spy movie with an American cast. It's an American film. in fact disregard audiences, why do you even think it is a British film? it isn't.

As for IMAX - it's not impossible for both have IMAX screens.

I personally suspect Top Gun might move forward a week or two.

The movie literally has British producers. That's enough for the BAFTAs to consider it a British film. Nolan's name also reached pretty far there. Even if it makes more WW (it won't), Top Gun 2 certainly won't make more than Tenet in the UK. No one there gives a shit about a film about how amazing the American Air Force is.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You live in India, please don't freaking lecture me on whether people liked Top Gun in my own damn country.

LMAO, you seriously think I live in India because I'm Indian? I've lived in the UK longer than I'll ever live in India. 

And I know for a fact that people in your country despise films like Top Gun.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

And I know for a fact that people in your country despise films like Top Gun.

I don't think you should generalize like that. Maybe 40% hate it, maybe 40% really like it, and maybe 20% are very neutral about it. That would line up with the political ideology we see in countries like America or Britain. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't think you should generalize like that. Maybe 40% hate it, maybe 40% really like it, and maybe 20% are very neutral about it. That would line up with the political ideology we see in countries like America or Britain. 

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. My point is that most people in the UK won't care about the film regardless of politics because it's the sequel to an extremely pro-American film. It's no different to how Dunkirk did nowhere as well in America as it did in the UK.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic. My point is that most people in the UK won't care about the film regardless of politics because it's the sequel to an extremely pro-American film. It's no different to how Dunkirk did nowhere as well in America as it did in the UK.

We'll see about that. From what I have seen out of the more conservative elements of British society, they do seem to have a lot of admiration for the American military. So it would not shock me if the film is able to connect pretty well with those folks. Even if they only make up 10-20% of the population, that's still a good size audience. 

The original Top Gun did very well outside America. Earning 50% of the worldwide gross in overseas markets, that was a big deal in the 1980's. Overseas markets and distribution by the Hollywood companies was nowhere near as developed back in those days. 

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We'll see about that. From what I have seen out of the more conservative elements of British society, they do seem to have a lot of admiration for the American military. So it would not shock me if the film is able to connect pretty well with those folks. Even if they only make up 10-20% of the population, that's still a good size audience. 

The original Top Gun did very well outside America. Earning 50% of the worldwide gross in overseas markets, that was a big deal in the 1980's. Overseas markets and distribution by the Hollywood companies was nowhere near as developed back in those days. 

I think the first movie was popular because Reagan era patriotism was so popular back then (I wasn't alive when Top Gun released but this is based on what I've heard other say). I don't see a film like that being adored today. This movie just released 20 years too late. Don't see Top Gun 2 doing better than American Sniper numbers (which actually were good for that film) in the UK either, espescially with this terrible release date.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think the first movie was popular because Reagan era patriotism was so popular back then (I wasn't alive when Top Gun released but this is based on what I've heard other say). I don't see a film like that being adored today. This movie just released 20 years too late. Don't see Top Gun 2 doing better than American Sniper numbers (which actually were good for that film) in the UK either, espescially with this terrible release date.

Good point on American Sniper. Guess we'll see how it goes. If Paramount is smart, they will back down on that release date and give their movie some breathing room throughout late June/early July. 

Nolan usually delivers but that budget is pretty huge. Hope the film's a success. 

Also may be an unpopular opinion but i would love WB and Nolan to do more stuff with inception. Think a hbo max series would be interesting in that world.

• Like 1

205 million seems low. Looks like Nolan kept under budget. Thats loyalty. I personally would love to see Nolan with a blank cheque, 500 million budget. The film God would be able to deliever our holy saviours (WB) a profit.

Bless Nolan. I'm glad he saved us from all the cookie cutter movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Considering Nolan's track record giving this a $205 million budget is not really very risky.

Expansion of China market is very helpful. We are 5+ years after Interstellar, which made pretty good money in China at the time. Same statement applies with 10 years for Inception. If this movie has anywhere near the audience reception of those two films, I would think there is a pretty good chance it will make more money in China than Interstellar (thanks to the market expanding every year). 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

205 million seems low. Looks like Nolan kept under budget. Thats loyalty. I personally would love to see Nolan with a blank cheque, 500 million budget. The film God would be able to deliever our holy saviours (WB) a profit.

Bless Nolan. I'm glad he saved us from all the cookie cutter movies.

His best movie since he started making big budget blockbusters is his shortest and most restrained, with a far smaller budget as well - Dunkirk. If anything, he needs to make more of those.

While I understand his fascination with time and appreciate his ability to elevate certain genre work, it would be nice to see him expand a bit more.

I'd be curious to see how he does with a very large cast of diverse actors, in a more darkly comedic setting.

If I were Warner, I woud have asked Nolan to have Tenet connected to Matt Reeves' Pattman.

Imagine Tenet beginning with the DC logo without anybody knowing.

500m, 1,5B WW would be secured for Tenet this way.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alli said:

Anyone else think the OW may not be huge for this? I see about 65M. I just don't feel the hype. It's still early, of course, but that trailer with the time theme.....been there, done that.

i mean on par with inception, more than Interstellar or Dunkirk, would seem pretty good for this

On 1/11/2020 at 1:13 AM, redfirebird2008 said:

Expansion of China market is very helpful. We are 5+ years after Interstellar, which made pretty good money in China at the time. Same statement applies with 10 years for Inception. If this movie has anywhere near the audience reception of those two films, I would think there is a pretty good chance it will make more money in China than Interstellar (thanks to the market expanding every year). 

Yeah, I don't think China will contribute much to the box office...