Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nolan's creative af and knows how to hype. Where is Jesus Nolan meme when you need it?

I'm with you here and I have to say, I count myself as a Nolan fan because not only is he talented but he isn't nearly as snobbish as the "film nerds" who love hyping him up. Remember he was one of the first to say Black Panther would be Oscar nominated, also had no problem casting "boy band member" Harry Styles in a serious war film and made a CBM trilogy without trying to transcend the genre. Not that he's without flaws (I wish he were better at writing/casting women characters) but I find him far more likable than some other film nerd faves. 

• Like 5

What makes Nolan truly special is that he creates his films from top to bottom.

Very very rare breed.

How many writers/directors we had on his level ?

Cameron ?

Tarantino ?

And ?

In the initial definition of the Auteur in les Cahiers du CInéma, to be considered an auteur, you had to write your own films.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

What makes Nolan truly special is that he creates his films from top to bottom.

Very very rare breed.

How many writers/directors we had on his level ?

Cameron ?

Tarantino ?

And ?

In the initial definition of the Auteur in les Cahiers du CInéma, to be considered an auteur, you had to write your own films.

Do you mean just at the blockbuster level? Otherwise a whole lotta filmmakers past and present do this... Devisive as it was Jordan Peele's Us is one of big one's earlier this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Was it not the complete opposite of the concept ?

The auteur theory, which was derived largely from Astruc’s elucidation of the concept of caméra-stylo (“camera-pen”), holds that the director, who oversees all audio and visual elements of the motion picture, is more to be considered the “author” of the movie than is the writer of the screenplay. In other words, such fundamental visual elements as camera placement, blocking, lighting, and scene length, rather than plot line, convey the message of the film. Supporters of the auteur theory further contend that the most cinematically successful films will bear the unmistakable personal stamp of the director.

Il est à noter que l'auteur du film ne doit pas nécessairement l'avoir écrit seul. Dès « Ali Baba et la « Politique des Auteurs », François Truffaut affirme que « en dépit de son scénario trituré par dix ou douze personnes, dix ou douze personnes de trop excepté Becker, Ali Baba est le film d'un auteur, un auteur parvenu à une maîtrise exceptionnelle, un auteur de film

Has for writer/director on Nolan level there is not many, George Lucas, Coppola,  Kubrick, Woody Allen, Nancy Meyers, Besson, Shyamalan, the Wachowski siblings, the Coens, JJ Abrams, James L Book, Peter Jackson, McQuarrie, George Miller, Crowe, etc.. all also got some success has Writer-Director, but Nolan level is quite an high bar.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

I got the trailer before Hobbs & Shaw today and some dude in the theater yelled "THAT'S TOO FAR AWAY" when the release date was shown. Thank you for stating what the film community is thinking out loud, random moviegoer. :lol:

It is sometimes nice to have a commentary in trailers. ;)

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

I got the trailer before Hobbs & Shaw today and some dude in the theater yelled "THAT'S TOO FAR AWAY" when the release date was shown. Thank you for stating what the film community is thinking out loud, random moviegoer. :lol:

What were you doing in Florida, @MrPink?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1