aabattery

The Report | 2019 | Directed by Scott Z. Burns, starring Adam Driver, Jon Hamm, Annette Bening | Great reactions out of Sundance | Coolio distributing, is Clay's jam

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Jeff Wells is a shitty gasbag but I do hope this isn't just a movie that lets me know torture is bad.

I hope they went all out and have a scene of Willem DaFriend as a waiter telling Adam Driver how bad torture is in the form of a restaurant menu. Would secure them a few nominations at the very least

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Is this going into theaters or is it for prime members only?

Amazon usually gives their films at least three months time in theatrical release before putting them on the streaming platform. Hence, why they're not as controversial as Netflix.

Now being released in theaters for two weeks on September 27 in NY/LA/DC before going to Amazon's streaming service October 11 (where it also hopes to be in at least 150 theaters). Guess we can move this to that section now.

Edited by filmlover

Gues this is an experimental approach to Oscar campaigning. Having an Oscar candidate available at the push of a button is appealing to more than a few of the voters, as shown by the many nominations that Netflix films were receiving. So this may bode well. Amazon as a film distributor has a good reputation in terms of excellent films.

Edited by Slambros
  • Astonished 1

This likely wasn't gonna make much in theaters to begin with (Amazon hasn't had a movie cross $10M since The Big Sick two years ago) and the move was apparently at the request of Soderbergh (always an experimental one) so it seems like this is being done as a test to see if there really is an aversion among awards groups to films released on streaming simultaneously. We'll see.

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RIP awards. 

strange that it got this treatment for it garnered genuine raves when it was shown on Sundance fest. 

i dunno. this doesn't read like a dump to me but them trying a different strategy. maybe after netflix actually got nominations last year they've realized they don't need a full release to contend. i wouldn't count it out cuz of this.

Edited by CoolioD1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dunno. this doesn't read like a dump to me but them trying a different strategize. maybe after netflix actually get nominations last year they've realized they don't need a full release to contend. i wouldn't count it out cuz of this.

good point though I'd say that Roma was more prestige so Netflix could afford an experimental strategy. But yeah, doesn't read like a dump unless they have another contender that they deem sure-fire. we'll see.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/amazon-positions-theatrical-streaming-release-the-report-deeper-in-awards-season-1202654838/

EXCLUSIVE: In a play to strike when the iron is hot with awards season voters, Amazon will now launch Scott Z. Burns The Report deeper in season with a theatrical debut on Nov. 15, followed by an Amazon Prime Video play beginning Nov. 29. This is around the same time last year that Netflix launched Roma, however that pic went theatrical over Thanksgiving with a Dec. 14 global streaming date.

Originally the movie was set to hit theaters on Sept. 27 with a Prime Video streaming date of Oct. 10.

• Astonished 1