Eric Atreides

Those Who Wish Me Dead l May 14 2021 | In Theaters and on HBO Max | Angelina Jolie stars l Taylor Sheridan directs

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It would be a shame if it opens to only 6M. Plus, if it's not good, then it won't have Nobody's good legs.

Yup. I'm thinking 6/20 run for now, but we'll see how marketing/reviews turn out over the next week.

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

Ouch.  I know the reviewer; she pulls no punches.  I expect other reviews will not be quite as harsh. 

But we'll see...

Edited by Macleod

This was very disappointing. Hard to believe that it’s from the same writer as the brilliant Hell or High Water and Sicario. There’s plot contrivances all over the place and characters doing utterly stupid things at almost every opportunity.

Spoiler

The bad guys deducing exactly where Jake Weber had gone from a random picture on his wall was a real facepalm moment…

Nicholas Hoult being the worst assassin ever and deciding to take his time walking slowly over to kill the boy at the end while Angelina Jolie was blatantly about to attack him from behind was another moment that made me want to scream at the screen.

I also found it really weird just how quickly the boy seemed to get over his dad getting murdered right in front of him. He seems to go from devastated crying to reciting jokey tongue twisters with Angelina in the space of about 15 minutes.

I can’t see this doing too well, it’d have struggled even without the current box office climate. I really don’t know what any of the actors saw in this script.

• Like 2

Oh boy, i'm so sad...this movie is so bad...so utterly uninspired

What a misfire from Sheridan. Angelina can't catch a break. Hopefully Eternals is good (Chloe zhao is a genious, but i expected better from the great Sheridan here too).

HBO Max saves this movie from being a box office embarrassment

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

I saw this last night, and it was just okay. It's clearly in the hands of filmmakers who know how to make the key scenes work, but it lacks the character development and depth of most of the other films Sheridan has scripted. It's certainly not a waste of 90-odd minutes, but it's also a far cry from the likes of Sicario or Hell or High Water.

That said, the crowd I saw it with at a pub cinema - which hit maybe 30% of the capacity of the auditorium (so, 60% of the current COVID max) - was really into it. I don't know if it was really their enjoyment of the movie itself or the assistance of the libations (probably a bit of both), but some of the patrons hooted and hollered through the whole thing. Welcome back to true communal moviegoing, I guess?