YM!

Tom And Jerry | Warner Animation Group | February 26, 2021

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Holy shit! If that happens, does that mean it woulda done 25-30+ in a non-covid world?🤯

That would make sense. There's always been an audience for these kinds of slapstick live-action/CG hybrid kids movies. If Peter Rabbit can open to 25M, I think it's easy for a movie with stronger brand recognition to open to these numbers in regular times.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$12.5m is a great start all things considered. Wonder if it’ll hurt the Croods 2 this weekend. 

Raya should go even bigger next weekend, since it’s Disney and more cinemas are opening. 

Croods 2 will probably have a big drop this weekend with both T&J and it being available to rent for $6 and buy for $20 now (used to be rent for $20).

• Like 1

We watched this tonight - the teen girls bailed at 20 minutes (which, amusingly enough, is about the point the movie starts to get funny at points).

The beginning is bad...the ending is much better...the leads, Tom and Jerry, are the best part of the movie, but they are, at best, the supporting characters.  My sons, who stayed til the end and did like it (and were rolling in laughter for many of the cat/mouse scenes) said the movie should have been called "The Death of the Hotel" (okay, one said that and the other said that was too dark for a kids' movie - man, I'm raising critics at a young age).

My girls probably give this movie a D (charitably) or less.

My boys gave it a B.

I'd probably say it was a solid C - good enough to watch for free online, but man, I'd be sad if I paid for full price tickets.  This was another great call by WB of taking a mediocre movie and making people feel very positive for seeing it.

• Like 4

Box Office: ‘Tom & Jerry’ Nabs Strong $14 Million Debut (forbes.com)

Forbes says 13.6M

‘Tom & Jerry’ $12.5M Opening To $12.5M At Box Office, Second Best During Pandemic – Deadline

Deadline is at 13.7M. WW = 38.8

Updated Sunday AM after Saturday 7:51 AM post: Refresh for chart and more analysis Warner Bros.’ day and date release of Tom & Jerry in theaters and on HBO Max has scored the second-best opening during the pandemic, since theaters reopened in August with $13.7M at 2,475 theaters. Warner Bros. also holds the domestic box office opening record during the pandemic with its Christmas release of Wonder Woman 1984 which did $16.4M. Worldwide Tom & Jerry did $38.8M. The pic I hear before marketing costs, carried a production budget of $79M.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm kind of wondering if this movie was actually destined to be bigger than a lot of us thought. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed if Raya next weekend can do "only" 15M.

Honestly, it may be this big partly b/c it's the cheapest and safest birthday party around right now.  I mean $149 for 18 kids and 2 parents is the steal of the century vs what you used to get for movie birthday parties. 

Cinemark did 5 screens for rental at both of my 12s this weekend - all sold out.  Regular screenings didn't hold a prayer to these sales.  When Deadline says that private rentals helped, I think they REALLY helped, and will help hold up the 2nd weekend more than say, WW...

Edited by TwoMisfits

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm kind of wondering if this movie was actually destined to be bigger than a lot of us thought. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed if Raya next weekend can do "only" 15M.

I’m expecting $17-20m for Raya, for a few reasons: 

1. better reviewed than Tom & Jerry

2. in even more cinemas potentially

3. much more expensive at home 

4. first Disney film in a long time 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m expecting $17-20m for Raya, for a few reasons: 

1. better reviewed than Tom & Jerry

2. in even more cinemas potentially

3. much more expensive at home 

4. first Disney film in a long time 

That is true. But I'm just starting to wonder if T&J is playing kind of like a smaller Minions: a critic-proof kids film that matches the heights of much better Disney animated movies.

I'm not doubting that there's a chance that Raya can do something like 20M next weekend, I'm just remaining cautious that this isn't just a serious overperformance on T&Js part rather than an indication of the next few weeks of box office.

Although I think it would be hilarious if Chaos Walking broke out "big" next weekend (say, 10M+).

As I discussed with @DAJK on Telegram, I think T&J could've been an anomaly due to a big thirst for new family films in theaters. The last one America got was The Croods 2, which came out on November and has been on PVOD since December. So, there might've been interest for a new big theatrically-released family film (Earwig doesn't count, obviously). And as mentioned, T&J is a classic cartoon - enough to draw adults - with millions of views on YouTube - meaning younger audiences are in contact with it too. So maybe it was a breakout in the right conditions and who knows if it wouldn't do better than we think in non-COVID conditions as well.

That being said, it's no coincidence that this OW came out a month after The Little Things, which too overperformed to its relatively small expectations (people were, iirc, putting it at 3m, and it ended up doing almost 5m OW). Judas and the Black Messiah was a bomb in-between, sure, but I don't think it would do much better in a normal world either. This as well as films maintaining very solid holds, including family films like Croods 2 and War with Grandpa having insane holds and sometimes increases. Vaccinations are rolling out fast, theaters are opening again and there just seems to be more of a vibe to return to theaters.

Now couple that with the reopening of NYC theaters, the approval of the Johnson vaccine, the brand appeal of a big Disney Animation film that apparently may get good reviews (despite a not amazing marketing campaign) and the fact that audiences at home will have to churn out $30 to see it (unlike HBO Max movies where you can watch those releases for free) - sure, a lot more people have Disney+ than HBO Max, but I think the Premiere Access factor evens things out - I think Raya is looking good for something like 15-17m, which is where my hopes are at. If it doesn't do much better or better at all than T&J, then T&J clearly broke out for unexpected reasons and/or Raya's marketing just didn't do the job, but I feel like things are looking more up than down. We'll see what happens next week, but this is a sign that there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

And of course, if Raya performs, then odds are GvK will perform, which will increase the odds of the May blockbusters not moving much further, and so on. So we shall see.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 1:07 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Croods 2 will probably have a big drop this weekend with both T&J and it being available to rent for $6 and buy for $20 now (used to be rent for $20).

Croods 2 avoided large drop this week! meaning cinema is big enough now fit two family-friendly films or even three with Raya next week.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, WittyUsername said:

Tom & Jerry videos apparently get a lot of views on YouTube, and my nephew is a fan, so it seems to be popular with kids. 

They're classics for a reason.