Blankments

Blankments' 118 Films of 2018: From the Worst To the Best

45. The Grinch

Benedict Cumberbatch in The Grinch (2018)

Directed by Scott Mosier and Yarrow Cheney.

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Rashida Jones, Kenan Thompson, Cameron Seely, Angela Lansbury and Pharrell Williams.
Release date: November 9, 2018

Runtime: 86 minutes

Image result for grinch 2018

The Grinch has always been my favorite Dr. Seuss tale, with me trying to find a way to watch the special every year. That said, I despise the live-action version, which looks disturbing and strips away all the magic of the original tale. When I heard Illumination was remaking it, I was naturally incensed. Yet, surprise… this is the first movie of theirs I feel very comfortable calling good, mainly because it never feels like it’s trying to replace the original incarnation of the Grinch. This is very comfortably a reimagining and it works about as well at it could, outside some cringe-y jokes. I was crying throughout the third act of this, proving that a timeless tale can still work despite some mighty changes. Yes, I’m surprised I liked this as much as you are.

• Like 2

44. Tully

Charlize Theron in Tully (2018)

Directed by Jason Reitman.

Starring Charlize Theron, Mackenzie Davis, Mark Duplass and Ron Livingston.
Release date: May 4, 2018

Runtime: 96 minutes

Image result for tully

Diablo Cody makes Reitman movies good. Okay, that’s not entirely true as I love Up in the Air, but Cody is still one of my favorite dialogue writers working, and this film has her snappy words all over it. It’s a fun time with a lot of insight into motherhood, anchored by one criminally underrated performance by Charlize Theron. I don’t have a lot to say about it, but this is a very well-done dramedy.

• Like 2

43. Adam Sandler: 100% Fresh

MV5BNWNiYWJlNzQtYmMwMS00MjUyLWE4YjAtNDVj

Directed by Steven Brill.

Starring Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and Dan Bulla.
Release date: October 23, 2018

Runtime: 73 minutes

Image result for adam sandler 100 fresh

I don’t really like Adam Sandler, but this special was heartfelt and revealing; the exact opposite of the cynical jokes I’m used to seeing from him. With this, Meyerowitz Stories, and a Safdie brothers film on the horizon, I’m glad to say I’m starting to like him. The editing on this feels positively experimental for a special, and makes even the non-hit jokes intriguing. The musical segments are the best, but the final ten minutes are truly special, and one of the most wonderful finales of the year.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

42. Bumblebee

John Cena and Hailee Steinfeld in Bumblebee (2018)

Directed by Travis Knight.

Starring Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, Jorge Lendeborg, Jr, John Ortiz, Jason Drucker and Pamela Adlon.
Release date: December 21, 2018

Runtime: 114 minutes

Image result for bumblebee movie

This is all textbook blockbuster filmmaking, but it’s hard to not like a throwback done as well as this. The action is clear and the story between Charlie and the titular robot is heartwarming. Bumblebee’s character animation is stellar here; the only comparison I can think of is Toothless in the HTTYD movies. A really good blockbuster that I don’t have much to say about, but the comparison to Jumanji is apt. This is a more than solid way to spend two hours at the theater.

• Like 1

41. Hearts Beat Loud

Hearts Beat Loud (2018)

Directed by Brett Haley.

Starring Nick Offerman, Kiersey Clemons, Ted Danson, Sasha Lane, Blythe Danner and Toni Collette.
Release date: June 8, 2018

Runtime: 97 minutes

Image result for hearts beat loud

It is not a crime to be generic. Hearts Beat Loud traffics in that at points; it’s a Sundance movie (trademark pending) all the way through. It’s got loads of charm though and a soundtrack of indie hits that you’ll be surprised didn’t break out in a mainstream way. Clemons and Offerman both deliver their best performances of yet, and by the end of the movie, you’ll have a hard time not smiling, despite the realistic heartbreak that comes through. I love musical dramas and this was a very good light-hearted addition to the genre.

• Like 1

40. Halloween

MV5BMmMzNjJhYjUtNzFkZi00MWQ4LWJiMDEtYWM0

Directed by David Gordon Green.

Starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Will Patton and Virginia Gardner.
Release date: October 19, 2018

Runtime: 106 minutes

Image result for halloween 2018

A kickass return for both Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. I’ll admit I’m not as familiar with the Halloween franchise as most people are; I’ve only seen the original film and this reboot. Yet, this still had really neat kills, and a good mix of the throwback nostalgia recent franchise revivals have had and legitimately nice modern touches. My hot-take of the year is Jamie Lee Curtis being better in this than Toni Collette was in Hereditary; it’s a nice, lived-in performance that feels like a natural evolution of Laurie from the first film. Dug this a ton.

• Like 1

39. RBG

MV5BNTE4Nzc0NDU3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODIz

Directed by Betsy West and Julie Cohen.

Starring Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Jane Ginsberg, James Steven Ginsburg, Nina Totenberg, Clara Spera and Gloria Steinem.
Release date: May 4, 2018

Runtime: 97 minutes

Image result for rbg movie screenshot

It’s a standard documentary, but one with such an interesting subject that I can forgive it. Some might accuse this of being a propaganda piece but I find it fascinating how this film goes in-depth of Ginsberg’s particulars; the court cases that built her reputation, the dissents of lesser known Supreme Court cases, etc. It’s just a nice look at a living legend in politics, one where I felt like I legitimately saw a glimpse of the human behind the judge. Very well-done.

38. Crazy Rich Asians

MV5BMTYxNDMyOTAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg1

Directed by Jon M. Chu.

Starring Constance Wu, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Nico Santos, Lisa Lu, Awkwafina, Ken Jeong and Michelle Yeoh.
Release date: August 15, 2018

Runtime: 121 minutes

Related image

I love rom-coms! Crazy Rich Asians does it well, with a central couple that’s charming and you wanna root for. That said, the real highlights in this movie comes from the supporting cast, which features two breakouts in Nico Santos and Awkwafina and a truly great supporting performance by Michelle Yeoh. Chu’s direction keeps this from being as memorable as it could be, but it’s a crowd-pleaser that genuinely warmed my heart. Hard to imagine someone not being into this.

• Like 2

37. Avengers: Infinity War

Don Cheadle, Robert Downey Jr., Josh Brolin, Vin Diesel, Paul Bettany, Bradley Cooper, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Pratt, Mark Ruffalo, Zoe Saldana, Benedict Wong, Anthony Mackie, Chris Hemsworth, Dave Bautista, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Sebastian Stan, Danai Gurira, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, Letitia Wright, and Tom Holland in Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo.

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Don Cheadle, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Josh Brolin and Chris Pratt.
Release date: April 27, 2018

Runtime: 149 minutes

Related image

Part one of a truly epic finale, this is loaded with flaws. It’s unfocused, the Earth scenes are horrible and it often comes off as white noise. Yet, it’s hard not to appreciate the mega-event feel of the entire enterprise. The space stuff is best with the Guardians and Thor clearly stealing the movie (along with Doctor Strange, who, by no coincidence, quickly joins the space plot as well). The action is cool and the ending, though overhyped, packs a bunch. It’s a really good blockbuster with absolutely nothing going on under the hood besides paying off a decade of hype. Looking forward to the other half in a little over a month (Jesus Christ, it’s so close.)

36. The Spy Gone North

Jung-min Hwang, Sung-min Lee, Ji-Hoon Ju, and Jin-Woong Cho in Gongjak (2018)

Directed by Yoon Jong-bin.

Starring Hwang Jung-min, Lee Sung-min, Cho Jin-woong and Ju Ji-hoon.
Release date: August 10, 2018

Runtime: 137 minutes

Image result for the spy gone north

An intriguing espionage thriller that was mostly overlooked. Telling the true story of a South Korean spy who gets sent to North Korea, I don’t really wanna talk too much about this, since I’m sure most haven’t seen it. It’s got a pair of excellent lead performances though, and the story takes enough twists and turns that despite the slow-burn vibe, the film flies by. A surprisingly cool movie that legitimately educated me on a piece of Korean history I had never heard of before.

35. Love, Simon

MV5BNTMyZDdiMzUtZjcxNS00Mjc3LTljY2UtYjI4

Directed by Greg Berlanti.

Starring Nick Robinson, Josh Duhamel and Jennifer Garner.
Release date: March 16, 2018

Runtime: 110 minutes

Image result for love simon

The influence of this film feels much larger than the box office results it received. I’ve seen so many of my friends who felt encouraged by the film’s representation to talk about their own lives and their LGBT pride. The film itself is a solid dramedy which best aspect is the true exploration of the anxiety of being closeted and the horror of being outed. Nick Robinson is excellent as the lead; the rare truly break-out performance. I love romances and this was very nice and sweet to see.

Edited by Blankments

34. Instant Family

Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne, Gustavo Quiroz, Isabela Moner, and Julianna Gamiz in Instant Family (2018)

Directed by Sean Anders.

Starring Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne, Isabela Moner, Margo Martindale, Julie Hagerty and Octavia Spencer.
Release date: November 16, 2018

Runtime: 118 minutes

Image result for instant family

One of the year’s biggest surprises. This is very sweet and emotional, featuring a super unflinching look at the struggles of becoming a foster parent. Rose Byrne delivers both a heartwrenching and hilarious performance and honestly, this is just shocking in how smart it portrays the messy nature of trying to start foster care. It’s not easy but it’s all worth it. Solid family melodrama with enough funny moments to not feel overbearing.

• Like 1

33. First Man

Ryan Gosling in First Man (2018)

Directed by Damien Chazelle.

Starring Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Christopher Abbott and Ciaran Hinds.
Release date: October 12, 2018

Runtime: 141 minutes

Image result for first man

The first (and so far really only) real IMAX movie I’ve ever seen, I’m tempted to put higher just because of that incredible moon sequence which is completely mindblowing and spectacular. The rest of the film is a smart drama, mixing the space program with Armstrong’s hard family life. Gosling and Foy are both great in the film, and Chazelle’s direction feels much more restrained than it has in the past. It didn’t grab me as much as the later films on this list, but rest assured, this was still a very good movie from Chazelle, and I’m still excited to see what he has for us in the future.

32. The Hate U Give

Amandla Stenberg in The Hate U Give (2018)

Directed by George Tillman Jr.

Starring Amandla Stenberg, Regina Hall, Russell Hornsby, K. J. Apa, Common and Anthony Mackie.
Release date: October 5, 2018

Runtime: 133 minutes

Related image

A strikingly powerful and emotional drama that correctly posits that there really is no answer for racism; it’s all a big mess that is truly unsolvable. This tackles a wide array of subjects within being black in America today and makes that all consumable and easy to understand in a mainstream product. Some might argue this is too targeted towards the white liberal, but I prefer there to be stuff like this for me compared to feel-good racial dramas that suggests it’s all fixed. About as good as a mainstream play as possible for the broad encompassing subject this is.

31. The Mule

Clint Eastwood in The Mule (2018)

Directed by Clint Eastwood.

Starring Clint Eastwood, Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Pena, Dianne Wiest and Andy Garcia.
Release date: December 14, 2018

Runtime: 116 minutes

Image result for the mule movie

This is the first Clint Eastwood movie I’ve liked. It’s smart, working as meta-text with Clint re-examining his career and how he got to where he is today. It’s also a compelling story in its own right, the hard to believe true story Hollywood loves adapting. It’s also kinda messy but in the weirdly ambitious way I’d never expect from modern Clint Eastwood. It’s a nice self-reflection shared with the audience that feels candid in the best sense. A dope movie.

30. Hannah Gadsby: Nanette

Hannah Gadsby in Hannah Gadsby: Nanette (2018)

Directed by Madeleine Parry and Jon Olb.

Starring Hannah Gadsby.
Release date: June 20, 2018

Runtime: 70 minutes

Hannah Gadsby, gay news, Washington Blade

One of the most thought-provoking specials I’ve ever seen. It breaks down comedy and the particular tropes of what a stand-up set is and reveals the pain behind all the comedy. I’m not familiar with Gadsby but this special made me think maybe I should be. Impressive also in how it totally avoids feeling like a TED Talk despite the clear obvious comparisons that could be made. A hard to talk about special, but one definitely worth checking out.

29. Game Night

Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, and Olivia in Game Night (2018)

Directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein.

Starring Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Billy Magnussen, Sharon Horgan, Lamorne Morris, Kylie Bunbury, Jesse Plemons, Michael C. Hall and Kyle Chandler.
Release date: February 23, 2018

Runtime: 100 minutes

Image result for game night movie screenshot

Utterly hysterical. We’ve reached the point in this countdown where all these films are worth checking out and are truly great films. The ensemble here is to die for, with no one being weak. Daley and Goldstein have legitimate flair to their direction, coupled with a nice tight script. Plemons and McAdams got their BOFFY noms deservedly, both delivering absolutely fantastic comedic performances that still feel grounded in a reality. This is really funny shit right here.

• Like 3

28. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Cher, Andy Garcia, Meryl Streep, Stellan Skarsgård, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Dominic Cooper, Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Skinner, Jeremy Irvine, Alexa Davies, Lily James, Jessica Keenan Wynn, and Josh Dylan in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

Directed by Ol Parker.

Starring Christine Baranski, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper, Colin Firth, Andy Garcia, Lily James, Amanda Seyfried, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters, Cher and Meryl Streep.
Release date: July 20, 2018

Runtime: 114 minutes

Image result for mamma mia here we go again screencap

Unabashed fun. It’s hard to truly say a musical is great but this is wholesome in nearly every sense. The covers are great and Parker knows how to shoot the sequences with a marvelous flare. Lily James feels magical as a young Meryl Streep, simultaneously embodying her mannerisms and yet never feeling remotely like an impression. The goofy fun builds to a spectacular and surprisingly emotional third act that makes you realize the intense power in these silly ABBA songs. Also, the credits dance party! This and Game Night are likely to be my Ragnaroks of this year: films that placed relatively low in my upper parts of my list that I’ll constantly revisit. One of the summer’s best blockbusters easily.

27. Thoroughbreds

Thoroughbreds (2017)

Directed by Cory Finley.

Starring Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin, Paul Sparks and Francie Swift.
Release date: March 9, 2018

Runtime: 92 minutes

Image result for thoroughbreds movie

A nice dark comedy that pretends it has a lot on its mind, but in fact, is just silly and vapid. That said, it’s got a real charm to it, and the playwright background of Finley is always evident. Cooke and Taylor-Joy make a winning duo, Cooke in particular feeling like a breakout performance. It’s also melancholy but nice to see Yelchin’s final role, which feels too small at first but then feels just right for the story being told. A darkly amusing indie flick that has been mostly overlooked.

26. The Favourite

Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone, and Olivia Colman in The Favourite (2018)

Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos.

Starring Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn.
Release date: November 23, 2018

Runtime: 120 minutes

Related image

I didn’t find this too funny, but the tone of this is unique enough for me to really enjoy it. It’s just a well-made historical piece with enough weirdness for me to really dig it despite the historical trappings. Weisz and Hoult are the standouts but honestly, this is the best ensemble of the year. Lanthimos captures the story well, and honestly, it’s fun! Not much to say that hasn’t been covered by others though…

• Like 1