PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

BRAVE (2012) 4/5

Actually, Brave has Pixar's most daring and taboo themes ever, taking direct interpretation to Feminism and Matricide. The red-haired princess , while the Queen mapping mother chauvinists, refused the marriage arranged by the mother, stood up against her mother, and even tried to matricude her mother by poison.

The red-haired princess speech in the lobby near the end is on behalf of the Queen matriarchy smooth handed to the red-haired princess's hands after all happened. The mother and the daughter riding horse together at the end representing typical "upper and lower" mother-daughter relationship has turned into a mild "sister - sister" one. The character image of red-haired princess itself is a symbol of female chauvinism.

In Brave, all male characters are wimps, while only the Queen and the Princess are in charge. The object of revolution, the Queen, is the dignified mother of the kingdom, the revolution is set off by the red-haired princess, and the revolution assistance comes from an mestry old witch, all female. Males are just foils.

Pixar adapting Neil Gaiman?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118062156?refCatId=13

And in all likelihood, the back-to-back releases of "Ralph" and "Brave" will be the closest Disney and Pixar come to crossing creative streams for some time. Pixar's upcoming projects lean toward its penchant for fantasy worlds and anthropomorphistic characters, including a dinosaur ("The Good Dinosaur"), a collection of ghosts and ghouls ("The Graveyard Book" and an untitled Day of the Dead project), and the inner workings of a young girl's mind (untitled Pete Docter "brain" pic), as well as sequels to "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters Inc."

Of course Disney can afford the luxury of owning two different animation studios. But wouldn't it make more sense to employ them to go for more different aims? Like one going for younger the other for older audiences. Or one going for the domestic taste while the other tries more to satisfy the tastes abroad. Does not seem to happen.

This Stanton guy is a prepotent idiot: "The ennui you have after a huge success when it's all over is exactly the same as the ennui you have when it's a bomb"

It would be ok if this is coming from a guy with extraordinary achievements in his career like Spierlberg or Cameron, but you've directed only 3 movies, one is a huge success, another is a ok success, and the other one is a mega-bomb. With this kind of attitude, I dont expect Stanton to have any better experience in the future of his live action directing (if he gets to direct a live action film again)

BTW he's actually quite arrogant. I remember there was a clip about him talking about the film budget and he said "I dont know what to do with 5m."

It would be ok if this is coming from a guy with extraordinary achievements in his career like Spierlberg or Cameron, but you've directed only 3 movies, one is a huge success, another is a ok success, and the other one is a mega-bomb. With this kind of attitude, I dont expect Stanton to have any better experience in the future of his live action directing (if he gets to direct a live action film again)BTW he's actually quite arrogant. I remember there was a clip about him talking about the film budget and he said "I dont know what to do with 5m."

I also find him to be quite arrogant. He says the most arrogant crap on twitter. Most of the Pixar guys have that problem. They've been built up and praised by the world and they've started believing in their own hype. What annoyed me most about that was their arrogance toward the way Disney made animated features. They were a broken record with their condescending 'we don't do fairytales or musicals'. And as much as I love Pixar's films, I don't think they compare to Disney's early 90s streak, which was lightning in a bottle.Having said that, I think Cars 2 and John Carter were a bit of humble pie. I also think Brave's mixed reviews were a direct result of not allowing Brenda Chapman to make the film she wanted to make. Monsters University appears looks like a film that could get them back on track, because I see more of Toy Story 3 in that than Cars 2. The University concept seems like something they're passionate about in the same way they sent Andy off to college in TS3.Finding Nemo 2 however.... I'm not sure. They always said (and rightfully so) that for a sequel to happen there needs to be a great idea. And they're making this because Disney forced them into it. I hope they can find something that clicks (like Toy Story 3 and Monsters:U) or else we'll definitely end up with something ridiculous like Cars 2. And this time it'll do permanent damage to their reputation. Cars was never well liked to begin with... Finding Nemo is their definitive classic.

I love Findin Nemo to death. I think it's Pixar's finest work and one of my favorite animated films ever. I liked Cars a lot. But everything Pixar did after that (except TS3) was a letdown for me. Brave doesnt even feel like a Pixar work. I don't see a bit of Pixar's magic shining in it. And now Pixar is getting further and further away from its creative side and starting to making sequels after sequels. I guess arrogance really had an impact on those guys.

Pixar should stay away from fairytales, if Brave is the result, which is not a real fairytale, IMHO. They should concentrate on what they are best at, movies for the domestic taste. The other studio from Disney could go for the international markets. Talking critters for OS and real fairytales for Europe.

I also find him to be quite arrogant. He says the most arrogant crap on twitter. Most of the Pixar guys have that problem. They've been built up and praised by the world and they've started believing in their own hype. What annoyed me most about that was their arrogance toward the way Disney made animated features. They were a broken record with their condescending 'we don't do fairytales or musicals'. And as much as I love Pixar's films, I don't think they compare to Disney's early 90s streak, which was lightning in a bottle.Having said that, I think Cars 2 and John Carter were a bit of humble pie. I also think Brave's mixed reviews were a direct result of not allowing Brenda Chapman to make the film she wanted to make. Monsters University appears looks like a film that could get them back on track, because I see more of Toy Story 3 in that than Cars 2. The University concept seems like something they're passionate about in the same way they sent Andy off to college in TS3.Finding Nemo 2 however.... I'm not sure. They always said (and rightfully so) that for a sequel to happen there needs to be a great idea. And they're making this because Disney forced them into it. I hope they can find something that clicks (like Toy Story 3 and Monsters:U) or else we'll definitely end up with something ridiculous like Cars 2. And this time it'll do permanent damage to their reputation. Cars was never well liked to begin with... Finding Nemo is their definitive classic.

Disney's 90s streak? No way. Most of Disney is actually pretty fluffy and minor. I once held many in high esteem due to nostalgia. But, every one I watched again just doesn't hold up. Ironically, the ones I find better, are the more adult, daring ones- Hunchback of Notre Dame, Atlantis...