PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

The issue is not success, it's that there is absolutely nowhere to go. Even the Cars franchise is conducive to telling additional stories. Granted, not necessarily GOOD ones, but it's an "open sandbox" world. Those others are not.

And yes, MOICHANDISING!

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Interesting that Cars 2 got pushed up, I didn't even think they had started work on it? I hope TS4 surprises. I don't disagree with those that are skeptical, but I also think that Pixar wouldn't be so gung ho about it without having some major confidence in it (from a story perspective that is).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films#Production_cycle

In July 2013, Pixar Studios President Edwin Catmull, said that the studio planned to release one original film each year, and a sequel every other year, as part of a strategy to release "one and a half movies a year."[20] However no film was released in 2014, with the original films Inside Out released in June and The Good Dinosaur scheduled for November 2015, and only Finding Dory (a sequel) scheduled for 2016.

Yeah, but Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up don't have much merchandising. That's the primary thing that drives Disney to greenlight sequels to their animated films, so I can't see Disney greenlighting sequels unless they were really in need of some cash. Mind you, I obviously don't work at Disney, but I'm just sharing my thoughts.

True, and so their chances are slimmer I agree. However I doubt MU, Dory, and I2 were greenlit for merchandising reasons. To my knowledge their predecessors were/are not big merch sellers (except maybe MI in Japan). Ratatouille is still extremely popular in France, as they just recently built a whole Ratatouille land in Disneyland Paris that has been a huge hit. They could count on the sequel being profitable just from a likely 100m gross or higher in France alone. 500m would be virtually locked OS. 

Edited by MovieMan89

True, and so their chances are slimmer I agree. However I doubt MU, Dory, and I2 were greenlit for merchandising reasons. To my knowledge their predecessors were/are not big merch sellers (except maybe MI in Japan). Ratatouille is still extremely popular in France to my knowledge, as they just recently built a whole Ratatouille land in Disneyland Paris that has been a huge hit. They could count on the film being profitable just from a likely 100m gross or higher in France alone. 

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure at this point we don't have worry about to Ratatouille 2 getting made. I doubt most Disney and Pixar executives are really thinking about it. ;)

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure at this point we don't have worry about to Ratatouille 2 getting made. I doubt most Disney and Pixar executives are really thinking about it. ;)

Correct me if I'm imagining this, but weren't there rumors of Rat 2 and Up 2 floating around not that long ago? Probably just rumors at that, but the fact that they would even be rumored to start with means we can't count them out. TS4, Dory, and I2 were rumors for a long time. 

Correct me if I'm imagining this, but weren't there rumors of Rat 2 and Up 2 floating around not that long ago? Probably just rumors at that, but the fact that they would even be rumored to start with means we can't count them out. TS4, Dory, and I2 were rumors for a long time. 

I believe they were rumors that were actually started as jokes, but don't credit me on that one. Mind you, yes that does mean sequels are possible for Up and Ratatouille, but I doubt they're getting made anytime soon.

No More Pixar Sequels Currently In Development Beyond ‘The Incredibles II’

http://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-sequels/

Disney has two untitled Pixar films set for release on March 13th, 2020 and June 19th, 2020, both of which Morris confirms will be original stories. Morris would only hint that the two unrelated films will take place in “unusual but believable worlds that take us in even other directions than we’ve pursued in the past.”

Past 2020, Pixar is developing two additional films that have yet to be dated, but it seems as if the studio is finally trying to get in the rhythm of two releases a year. Both of these films which are “highly likely” but early in development are also original stories. This means that following the Incredibles II in June 2019, we should see four original Pixar films. Unless things change, the earliest the studio could possibly release a sequel is 2022, and more likely 2024.

• Like 3

Mark Andrews has been supposedly working on a sci-fi comedy for awhile now, I'm willing to bet that will be their 2020 release, announced at the 2017 D23 Expo. I didn't care for Brave but that was due to the jarring tonal issues due to Brenda Chapman's quite large input. I think Andrews on his own could produce something quite special. WALL-E was more post-apocalyptic futurism than sci-fi, so a Pixar film about alien worlds and intergalactic travel could be fun. (unless it's a synergy thing and they're doing a Pixarian Star Wars spinoff)

Bob Peterson is also working on another movie, freed from the sacrifice Sohn took for TGD, and Pete Docter is also already working on his fourth helmed picture (an original concept). We don't know anything about these, and probably won't for awhile. Of course, all three have gotten word out due to the directors' high profiles: who knows what a first-timer might be cooking up?

Regardless I am excited to see tentative titles like, "The Untitled Pixar Movie About (Blank)" again.