PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

No doubt that it is a creative slump IMO. May be too early to tell on Brave, but based on reviews, it seems they're heading in that direction.So so sad.

Pixar is different from what it was even five years ago. And who know how much time the Brain Trust has really had with Cars 2 and maybe Brave. Stanton was making John Carter, Bird had MI 4. Lasseter is wearing multiple hats these days and he's more on the corporate side of things. That would leave Docter and Unkrich.

It's funny Cars 2 is the worst reviewed Pixar film, yet Disney is relying on it to revive their California Adventure theme park.

:blink: The first movie was based in route 66 -- which I can drive down to from where I live. + cars (in general, not the movie) have always been a big thing in Cali. I don't get you people. Carsland is beyond packed from what I've heard. We've purposely not gone down there yet so as to avoid the madhouse, and next time we go, we'll probably not even try it.Do you live in southern california/attend disneyland regularly? Edited by Misadventures2x3

The things that were "new" in Cars 2 actually weren't that bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Finn and Holly in some new short film. It was what they did with Mater that sucked.

The "redneck truck", right?

He sucked out my will of discovering this movie.

• Like 1

:blink: The first movie was based in route 66 -- which I can drive down to from where I live. + cars (in general, not the movie) have always been a big thing in Cali. I don't get you people. Carsland is beyond packed from what I've heard. We've purposely not gone down there yet so as to avoid the madhouse, and next time we go, we'll probably not even try it.Do you live in southern california/attend disneyland regularly?

No I just like to keep with what the Mouse is doing.

I liked Mater in the first Cars, but he got really annoying in the second one. I too enjoyed Finn McMissille, and I think the opening setpiece of Cars 2 involving him is really cool.

During that scene I was thinking the movie might be enjoyable in a smile-and-shake-your-head kind of way, but once Mater came on it was pretty much a chore to sit through the rest if the way.

Every Pixar movie contains a hint to the next movie, right?(Lotso from TS3 in the room's floor of the liitle girl in Up when ballons are in front of her window..)How will manage to hint MU in Brave?They still continue this "tradition", right?

I just realized that Disney-Pixar comparison goes even further than Cars 2 and Brave. Their entire 90s renaissance follows post-Cars Pixar almost to a T, both in quality and box office increase/decrease pattern. Rescuers Down Under kind of messes with things a little but still...Ratatouille ($206m) = The Little Mermaid ($84m)WALL-E ($224m) = Beauty and the Beast ($146m)Up ($293m) = Aladdin ($217m)Toy Story 3 ($415m) = The Lion King ($313m)Cars 2 ($191m) = Pocahontas ($142m)Brave (????) = The Hunchback of Notre Dame ($100m)So that would mean...Monsters University = Hercules ($99m)The Good Dinosaur = Mulan ($121m)Inside the Mind = Tarzan ($171m)Dia de los Muertos = Atlantis ($84m)Apparently Inside the Mind will be the highest grossing film on their slate. And Dia de los Muertos is doomed.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

:lol: hope not. I hope Pixar's "dark age" doesn't last as long as Disney's did... I do have high hopes for Petersen's movie as its about time he got a shot, though I'm a little worried how MU is going to turn out first, and will everyone be sounding the death knell for the studio if that turns out to be another critical misfire.

I wasn't impressed with the Monsters University trailer. It fell almost embarassingly flat in my opinion. I immediately thought of the current conversation in this thread about a possible Pixar slump. Ok, I can see how just two movies - Cars 2 and Brave (if it underperforms) - may not equal a slump but three underwhelming/performing movies in a row would be a slump. I hope I am wrong and Brave does better than Tangled numbers and Monsters University is as good or better than its predecessor.

:lol: hope not. I hope Pixar's "dark age" doesn't last as long as Disney's did... I do have high hopes for Petersen's movie as its about time he got a shot, though I'm a little worried how MU is going to turn out first, and will everyone be sounding the death knell for the studio if that turns out to be another critical misfire.

Which Disney "dark age" the one from the 40's that gave us Make Mine Music and Melody Time?

70's Aristocats and Rescuers.

Or pretty much the entire 2000's, though I think Atlantis and Treasure Planet are unfairly maligned.