MrGlass2

The Wandering Earth | Feb 8 2019 (US) | Directed by Frant Gwo | China's first major science fiction movie

2 hours ago, LeoC said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-lego-movie-2-wins-soft-35m-liam-neeson-iced-1184693

At the specialty box office, the Chinese sci-fi epic The Wandering Earth impressed with an estimated $1.6 million from 65 theaters in 39 markets. Timed to Chinese New Year celebrations, the movie posted a location average of nearly $25,000, the best of the weekend.

It looks like a very decent start, I wonder if the demand is frontloaded (like Dragon Ball or many Indian movies), or if it can grow.

9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It looks like a very decent start, I wonder if the demand is frontloaded (like Dragon Ball or many Indian movies), or if it can grow.

Based on what I have seen on social media, almost all moviegoers on the first weekend are Chinese. Unless this movie can attract more local moviegoers (which I highly doubt), I expect it to be frontloaded.

Also, it depends on whether the movie can get an extension in theaters and showtimes. A lot of my Chinese friends want to see this movie in theater, but there are no showtimes in smaller cities or smaller college towns. I hope it can get an extension soon, get it before pirated version came out online (I heard it is already online) which will consume quite some potential viewers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Based on what I have seen on social media, almost all moviegoers on the first weekend are Chinese.

Yeah, that is what I figured: mostly the Chinese community, and maybe a few hard sci-fi fans.

7 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Unless this movie can attract more local moviegoers (which I highly doubt), I expect it to be frontloaded.

Most likely. Interesting to imagine how much it could have made with a normal wide release by a major distributor, maybe dubbed by famous actors. Sure, it would have "flopped", but could it have grossed $20M? $50M the ceiling?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Most likely. Interesting to imagine how much it could have made with a normal wide release by a major distributor, maybe dubbed by famous actors. Sure, it would have "flopped", but could it have grossed $20M? $50M the ceiling?

I guess we will never find out, lol. But $50m is a long shot. I feel like Kongfu movies is the only genre that can attract that amount of audience in North America. Besides, the downside of a dubbed version is that it will probably lose some Chinese audience's interests. $20m is more reasonable Imo.

• Thanks 1

If you compare population wise it's roughly the equivalent opening although slightly better in New Zealand.

I've been mentioning Event George St mainly because it's the highest grossing in the country (and one of the biggest in the world), I went to see it there plus it's surrounded by a large Chinese population and is effectively in Chinatown.  As of last Wednesday they had only scheduled 1 screening per day.  More were added each day and by Saturday it was 5 per day.  

Obviously they're making their best guess with scheduling but it looks like they fell short this weekend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Possible contender for a member of the 'billie' club? I for one welcome our new Chinese hegemons! 

Who knows. We will have to wait and see how it holds next days. For the moment, today (Monday and 7th day of release) it seems to make another $50m just in China. And presales for tomorrow seem to be at the same level than yesterday. I would not rule out the chance of reaching the billion yet.

• Astonished 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Crossed $400mn at Chinese box office at 14:46.

That's during its 9th day of release

Till now every day was above opening day beside opening day was during CNY-holiday week and this week its back to working days