MrGlass2

The Wandering Earth | Feb 8 2019 (US) | Directed by Frant Gwo | China's first major science fiction movie

22 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Finally on BOM, nice little run in the US (should soon be above CNY movies of last two years):

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=thewanderingearth.htm

Domestic:  $2,386,567

yes, but their total view is still bad. They do show the foreign numbers (way behind) per foreign tab, but not the usual total in the summary / front page of the movie

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $2,386,567    100.0%
Foreign:  n/a    0.0%

Worldwide:  $2,386,567  

vs.

FOREIGN TOTAL - N/A n/a - n/a N/A
space.gif
Australia CMC 1/31/19 - - $372,377 2/10/19
China - 2/5/19 $179,892,945 60.3% $298,110,095 2/10/19
New Zealand CMC 2/5/19 $73,739 76.6% $96,247 2/10/19

If they manage to appear in the top 10 in dom maybe some ppl more get aware?

• Like 1

I think TWE is shown in 125 theaters this weekend, double the number of last weekend. I was trying to insert a pic listing all the showtimes in NA but I didn't know how to. 

Anyway, they finally added showtimes in the city where I live, so I watched it for the second time tonight. Saw more problems this time. I will give it a 6.5/10.

Edited by LeoC
  • Astonished 1

Will smash hit 'The Wandering Earth' change China's film industry?

Millions of moviegoers watched breathlessly over the Lunar New Year week as Beijing and Shanghai were destroyed for the first time in modern Chinese film history. It's just one of the reasons China's new sci-fi movie "The Wandering Earth" is taking the nation by storm.

Based on works by novelist Liu Cixin, it tells the story of a group of Chinese astronauts working to save Earth from a dying and rapidly expanding sun. Opening on February 5, the film made about $405 million ($2.7 billion yuan) in just over its first week in China alone -- putting it on track to become the country's most successful film of all time.

Reaction has been startling. "I didn't expect China could make such a large-scale science-fiction film," said one of the top comments on Chinese film review site Douban.com. State-run news agency Xinhua, meanwhile, described it as a "new dawn for China's sci-fi filmmaking."

China is likely to become the world's largest cinema market in coming years, according to industry insiders.
It already has a robust multi-billion-dollar film industry which produces hundreds of movies every year, mainly for a large and increasingly affluent domestic audience.

But some of the country's biggest recent blockbusters have been criticized as overly nationalistic, effectively acting as government propaganda. Its two most successful box-office hits -- "Wolf Warrior 2" and "Operation Red Sea" -- were considered to have strong pro-Beijing overtones.

Guo's effort, however, breaks the mould. "There is little nationalistic plot in 'The Wandering Earth'," Chinese film critic Raymond Zhou told CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/13/asia/china-wandering-earth-film-intl/index.html

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, raulbalarezo said:

Now I have a chance to see it 😉 (or per disc)

Would have loved to see more dom / Europe... BO numbers, hope for viewing numbers per Netflix in this case

Edited by terrestrial

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Finally, BOM can't hide the truth anymore:

2019 WORLDWIDE GROSSES

1 The Wandering Earth CMC $655.9

Do you happen to know the real actual numbers? Like non US

The-Numbers says $679,300,000 but their last China chart is from last week

Edited by terrestrial

23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Has this been released anywhere else outside of China, Australia, Domestic and NZ?

acc IMDb

Hong Kong 28 February 2019  

Also has a Russian Title: Блуждающая Земля If that means it got or will get a release or not I do not know as:

On 20 February 2019, it was announced that Netflix acquired the distribution rights to stream the film internationally. The film will be available to stream globally on Netflix, outside of China, sometime in 2019

acc a German website that means countries not already released.... in wont get it.

As of 26 February 2019, the film's total gross in China stands at CN¥4.41 billion ($652 million), as the movie continues to play well in China.[20]

Internationally, it topped the worldwide box office with a three-day opening weekend gross of $172,718,000, and had a six-day opening gross of $289,090,290.[21] The film has grossed $5,478,980 in the United States and Canada, $947,081 in Australia, and $211,450 in New Zealand, for an overseas total of $6,057,251 and a worldwide total of $655,905,053 as of 24 February 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wandering_Earth#Release

• Thanks 1