3 hours ago, a2k said:

after the new trailer feelings about the characters,

aladdin - meh to bad

jafar - really bad

genie - biggest draw

jasmine - neutral to good

Hide contents

carpet and abu will steal the show? :ph34r:

when the titular character and main villain are not giving positive vibes it's hardly good news.

potc5 like run for aladdin imo. that one despite being a sequel legged it well to 2.74x off the memorial day FSS due to small ow compared to previous potc films. despite this one not being a sequel i don't expect better than ~2.7x the FSS after an inflated sunday.

Yeah Jafar and Aladdin himself are the worst part. Not enough of Jasmine to say much, but I like Naomi Scott and thought she was one of the better things about Power Rangers. 

Posted (edited)

boxofficepro

Aladdin $67,000,000 2% $188,000,000
Edited by a2k

Gonna be over/under on MPR right now, but I'll take the under for prosperity sake (also because my prediction is like $140m dom I think)

• Like 1

I would go under as well. I am expecting meh to bad reviews for this and its not doing great with PS as well despite big willie.

• Like 1

Someone on Awardswatch saw it and apparently it's good

• Haha 1

@a2k change me to out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

@a2k change me to out

Hahahaha, YES! - and the Shay has always been OUT - with a vengeance!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, a2k said:

If folks wanna update let me know!

Closing thread once the coming weekend actuals come in on May 20th.

Why am I listed twice?

• Like 1

Hoping for out, but sadly In. Please be wrong

Easy out.  While I don't think it'll make a ridiculous amount, it should cross $200-250 million easily.

Hard to say. Good club. Gonna stay out, because I (almost) always route for films to do as nice/great as possible.

Posted (edited)

IN.
The theater reports are very mixed. And its Pulse daily sales were a few times under that of GKotM which is released one week later. Overall nothing that would indicate that this movie is highly anticipated or that the buzz is great.
And more important to me, the trailers of Aladdin IMO are just not really good (I also liked the third trailer best but actually only the first minute was not cheesy or a strange mix of past and modern times). IMO they don't transmit the magic of Arabian Nights and instead of that look way too cheesy. Yesterday I already considered to join this club and this „Prince Ali“ clip (I still chuckle) decided it now for me.

Edited by el sid

20 hours ago, Alli said:

Someone on Awardswatch saw it and apparently it's good

And we are getting commetns from people who saw it that it's not very good.

One person's opinion proves nothing .

I am out. I think it will do better then MPR but not by much. It will be a underperformer compared to the other Disney live actions version of anmated features...

7 hours ago, stripe said:

Hard to say. Good club. Gonna stay out, because I (almost) always route for films to do as nice/great as possible.

I could not disagree more. Rooting for bad and mediocre films to do well does nothing but cause more bad and mediocre films to be made.  A studio makes a bad movie, it deserves to lose money on it.

The reviews on letterboxd are pretty good too. most of them are around  3.5/5 stars

Out. Aladdin over 250 DOM FTW

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

I could not disagree more. Rooting for bad and mediocre films to do well does nothing but cause more bad and mediocre films to be made.  A studio makes a bad movie, it deserves to lose money on it.

Do you know if the movie is bad or mediocre? NO! I refuse to root for bad BO prior to know the quality. I always try to expect the best.

Anyways, making a movie is a hard task with many people involved trying to do their best. Not just a studio. It's not easy to deliver a great/good film.