Water Bottle

Water Bottle's Top 25 Movies of the Year and Other Awards (2018)

• Community Manager

MV5BZWVkMzY5NzgtMTdlNS00NjY5LThjOTktZWFk

If Beale Street Could Talk

A dark, depressing movie that's incredibly well executed. Beautiful cinematography, amazing writing, two characters you really root for and support. A movie that takes what should be a basic love story and uses it to explore the systemic injustice perpetuated towards African Americans in this country. It's one of those "important" movies that have something to say but without losing any quality in delivering its message. You won't be happy at the end but then again your not really supposed to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYCF-ov5fxyvGorCDiNYW

We the Animals

An interesting movie that is the coming of age story of a kid who spends a lot of time with his brothers. His home life is far from perfect but there are good moments in there to go with the bad. It's not just misery. The character arc is pretty good and I gotta say when the end comes and we find out a piece of crucial information about the character, it only enhances the movie for me.  The movie ends on a somber note. In the end, there is a certain level of poetry to this movie with its pretty great visuals and symbolic imagery helping it stand out. I'm not sure how many people watched this one but if you haven't, it's worth checking it out.

• Like 5

• Community Manager

Marypoppinsreturns1.jpg

Mary Poppins Returns

"I'm Mary Poppins y'all!" Okay so maybe she doesn't say that but man is this movie actually very good or what? Emily Blunt was perfectly cast, the children did a very good job, and most of the songs worked pretty well. Coming from a guy who doesn't really like modern musicals, I was captivated by this movie. It manages to capture the spirit of the original while modernizing it for today's tastes. I'll admit the movie does have it's flaws: I remember going to the bathroom during one of the songs (couldn't hold it alas) and coming back and the song was still going on....and I thought I had left towards the end of that song! That's a pretty long song which is a lot of time to be giving to it. 

595x.jpg

Leave No Trace

A pretty great coming-of-age story where a daughter has to leave her father's unique lifestyle behind so she can live her life. It's a pretty great movie that explores what it means to be a child, the demons of our parents, and how in the end we must make our own path. There's obviously lots of great cinematography-going to nature is usually a pretty good way to get amazing shots-and the acting in this movie is utterly fantastic. It's captivating from beginning to end.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Okay so maybe the story isn't that good in this movie as it hits a lot of tropes and maybe does a little too much with the evil organization. But hey when the scene cuts away during the nuclear bomb disarming scene, some people in the theater we saw it in actually went "no!" as if they thought a modern blockbuster would actually let a nuclear bomb blow up the main characters. So the story still works to a degree. But let's face it: the real reason this movie is on this list is because of the stunts. Tom Cruise actually flew the helicopter! He hurt himself making this movie! It's not reliant on CGI greenscreens and action shots! This credibility makes this blockbuster much more fun as you really get into the action. It's a pity they don't make more blockbusters like this anymore. Because here the thrills are real, not manufactured in a computer lab.

e3P2Ed0sbmQ6RsoS4dcT3aeEPR-1.jpg

Annihilation

A pretty great science fiction story where Gina Rodriquez shows that she should be a movie star and Natalie Portman proves WHY she's a movie star. The female cast in this movie is pretty impeccable but more than that the universe it builds is visually distinctive and interesting on its own. Near the end, there's some weird stuff that happens and if you are along for the ride then it probably works really well for you. This movie doesn't play it safe, it doesn't try to make this appealing to the general audience, and it's so much better because of that. 

89-og.jpg?w=650&h=975

Lean on Pete

The marketing is a bit misleading since it really builds up the idea this is going to be a movie primarily about a boy and his horse. And for a while, that's what it is. But it ends up being more than that (primarily due to a plot point that happens I wanna say halfway through the movie?) and it's really about a boy trying to find his way in a world when he has nobody left. It's a pretty good story to tell and while there's not a lot of happy moments in this movie, you really do find yourself rooting for him. 

• Like 6

• Community Manager

UpgradePosterDC-Copy.jpg

Upgrade

Upgrade is awesome. Seriously, how did this movie get made with such a low budget despite the fact that it actually builds its universe better than many blockbusters? I don't just mean script-wise but in terms of special effects. You absolutely believe you are in this world from the beginning to end with nothing really taking you out of it. The action scenes might have been a selling point but really it's the story that shines. This was the best science fiction movie of the year.

tully-british-movie-poster.jpg

Tully

A charming character-centric piece that explores the mental state of a mother trying her best with her latest baby AND staying on top of the rest of her children. Her husband really isn't a big help on the home front. When she finally turns to the night nanny, it seems like she has the help she needs. Or does it? This is a very smart movie that really nails just about everything it sets out to do. This is top-tier Diablo Cody. Heck, it might be the best movie she's written.

Screenshot-2018-03-20-19.37.28.png

Thoroughbreds

This movie frankly isn't for everyone but if it's up to your speed, you'll really love it. It's dark humor done right. Olivie Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy absolutely kill it in this movie as they bring their characters to life: one who feels too much, the other who feels nothing. The story is compelling and always interesting. The DP did a very good job since most of the shots were simply great to look at. This is the last movie Anton Yelchin was able to do and he does a very good job in the movie. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

settit.jpg?itok=jeNidgVR

Set it Up

As funny as it is predictable, Set it Up is simply a blast from beginning to end. The one-liners are great, the characters all work really well together, and there's undeniable comic chemistry between the cast. I mean come on what's not to love about a character realizing he needs to rush to the airport only to learn he has four hours....and so wastes them? It's making fun of a common trope while recalling a previous similar joke. That's just smart writing. It's a pity Netflix picked up this movie: would have loved to have experienced this with a full crowd at a movie theater.

61QsitmwxjL._SY679_.jpg

A Simple Favor

It's Paul Feig basically doing a comic thriller. It's about as funny as Bridesmaids, as charming as Freaks and Geeks, and as twisty and dark as Gone Girl. Blake Lively absolutely kills it in this role and shows that she should be given more chances while Anna Kendrick reminds us all why she became a star in the process. For all the talk about how Infinity War managed to juggle so many tones, A Simple Favor effortlessly switches between comedy and dark thriller moments. It's well-paced as well-never a dull moment. This isn't just the best comedy of the year-it's Paul Feig's best movie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

BlacKKkKlansman.jpg?w=1300&$p$w=c02a48b

BlackKKlansman

What a brilliant movie that uses a real-life fascinating story-about how a black undercover officer infiltrated the KKK with the help of a Jewish officer-that manages to explore not only the racism in this country but how it has managed to fester in the background for so long. It has a message but it also has strong characters, compelling storylines, and very well directed scenes. This movie is simply fantastic and if you only watch one movie from last year, this wouldn't be a bad pick due to how relevant it is and also how entertaining it is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

dd7416d9-5134-42b9-9584-5a72144935f7._CR

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Who knew that the story of Fred Rogers wouldn't just be very compelling but at the same time actually relevant to today? A man who for decades helped influence the minds of millions of young Americans, encouraging them to believe in themselves, was obviously a crucial part of American television history. But more than that, his philosophy that everyone is created specially by a creator, is rooted in the Christian faith. There is a certain irony then when conservative figures attack the ideals that Fred Rogers had dedicated his life to. He was a minister after all. It's the only documentary I had a chance to see from last year and while I'm sure Free Solo is amazing, it's a pity this movie was snubbed completely of any nomination for Best Documentary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager

p9fmuz2Oj3HtEJEqbIwkFGUhVXD-0.jpg

Hereditary

I'm about to trigger @Christmas baumer buuuuut Hereditary is the best horror movie of the year. It's a brilliant story about possessions, witchcraft, and family. It's compelling from its humble beginnings where you wonder where the movie is going to go to it's absolutely bonkers ending. It's just the right amount of weird in some aspects (like the clicking). It's a movie that sticks with you days, if not months, after you've seen it. I wrote a really long review in the review forum if you want to check it out but basically what makes Hereditary great is you can actually have multiple readings of the same movie. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• Community Manager

71PJ1fzbHFL._SY606_.jpg

Roma 

Roma is a slow, deliberative character piece about a maid who works for a family. She's in a unique position in that she's often treated and accepted and even loved as a member of the family but at the same time she's an employee, an outsider, one who fears she might lose her job when she gets pregnant. She comes from humble beginnings, is a part of a minority in Mexico, and some of what happens to her is tied intelligently by Alfonso Cuaron to history. There are some really shocking, jarring moments in the film that works so well simply because most of it is mundane. Which really, isn't that life? Not to mention but obviously, Alfonso Cuaron remains one of the best visual directors with each shot looking absolutely stunning. I can see some people finding this movie boring but it pulled me in and kept me in for the whole ride. Roma is his latest masterpiece.

• Like 4

• Community Manager

MV5BZDhjNDQ0MjEtNWZhMy00ZTY1LWFkYmQtMWYw

Mid90s

Who knew that Jonah Hill's directorial debut would be so good? It's a movie that instantly sets itself apart by giving itself a low-fi look, almost like it was shot on a '90s camcorder. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories and this is as strong as this particular sub-genre can get. Sunny Suljic brings his character to life with authenticity-he simply feels like a real kid rather than a character throughout the whole movie. This movie is a lot like Roma: it can be slow, it can be mundane, but in doing so it can dig deeper into the character. There are awkward moments in this movie for sure but mid90s is simply the best movie of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Well, I'll check out this entire thread later today....but you are not the only person to love Hereditary.  I just think it's poop.  But different strokes....

• Like 1

Loved most of your choices.  Haven't seen Mid90's but I'll be sure to find it.  

Great list and great write ups!

• Like 1