Derby Summer League: Signups due by 4/22/19 Read more... ×

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3
  • Disbelief 1

So about 1.5M in previews, huh? That doesn't really sound all that great, although maybe the early previews limited demand

Edited by CoolEric258

That doesn't seem very solid at all... I mean, not bad, but with the 600k sneaks from a couple weeks ago added in, it just makes the number seem less then great.

What time did showings start? $1.5M previews is much less than say Hotel T 3 previews which was $2.6M.

The date in the title is invisible? :hahaha:

So something like $13-15M today and $50-55M for the weekend seems like the target unless it shoots up massively tomorrow. Pretty much expected.

Less than the Lego Batman?! That makes the LEGO 2 preview estimate even more disapointing!

• Sad 1

Considering this had a 4 PM start, I don’t think that’s great. I’d lean under 50 rn

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

WB should've really made this before getting into the spin-off business. Good job diluting the brand.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Should I be depressed or not? Is $50M OW still happening?

Possibly, possibly not. Lego Batman is about as close a comparison as you can get (remember it had same release date) and it had -32% lower previews than Batman.

The budget doesn’t look good either, this cost $99M, and if DOM goes sub $150M, and if OS is as weak as reported, this won’t get pass $300M WW. 

Everything’s not Awesome :whosad:. Now it’s time for me drown my sorrows.

That preview number isn’t good, since it’s less than the spin off, Lego Batman. 

I think it’ll do $50m+ although that’s an almost $20m drop from the first films opening weekend 5 years ago. 

where are the numbers for The Prodigy? 

after watching the movie I have a feeling it'll break out to a double digit weekend :ph34r:

that Lego number (2.1M including early sneaks) is pretty disappointing considering it's still less than Lego Batman (2.2M) despite having longer Thursday previews (5PM vs 4PM) and early sneak peeks from Jan.

a sub 50M weekend will be underwhelming.

• Like 1

If it follows Lego Batman (excluding the early screenings)

9.9M

15.7M

10.6M

36.2M

This probably won't reach those lows, since Batman had the DC brand, but...yeah, this seems like an O/U 50M scenario right now.

• Like 1

Anyway, also wanna give a birthday shout-out to our god @Rthanos. Thanks to all that you've done for us for the years, and I hope your day's a special one!

• Like 8

It seems the spin offs hurt the Lego Movie brand a bit much like how HTTYD2 made less than the first due to the TV series and the long gap between sequels.

Itll be interesting to see if the other Lego movies come into fruition. I think Lego Batman 2 is likely but not sure on Billion Brick Race, next year and the year after the focus for WAG seems to be on films based on the existing IP like Scooby, Space Jam, Tom and Jerry and Super Pets

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

https://deadline.com/2019/02/lego-movie-2-chris-pratt-what-men-want-cold-pursuit-liam-neeson-box-office-weekend-1202552562/

Orion’s R-rated horror pic The Prodigy drew $350K last night which is on par with horror pics like 2015’s The Lazarus Effect ($350K preview, $10.2M weekend) and DreamWork’s R-rated Fright Night ($350K, $7.7M opening); it’s also slightly above BH Tilt’s The Belko Experiment ($325K preview, $4.1M opening).

Ehh, I guess it's alright

• Astonished 1