sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part: 24.1M

Alita: Battle Angel: 15M (25M 5 day)

Happy Death Day 2U: 12M (26M 6 day)

What Men Want: 11M

Isn't It Romantic?: 10M (20M 5 day)

The Upside: 6.9M

Cold Pursuit: 6.5M

Glass: 4.2M

Green Book: 3.3M

The Prodigy: 3M

Honestly won't be surprised if HDD2U manages to go sub-10M for the 3 day. It's going to be really front loaded (and is also a bad movie!)

I have it doing $20M for the 6-day but wouldn't be surprised if it went lower. Feels like a sequel nobody asked for plus Universal hasn't done much to push it.

• Like 1

Alita did 10M in Skorea....same as Edge of Tomorrow. Let's see if it translates to a weekend around 30M like EOT in the States

Also Alita did way better than EOT in the other asian countries. good start

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

This is coming from someone who really, really didn't like Aquaman. But that overseas gross is damn impressive. It wouldn't be fair to attribute the movie's success to China, which people like to do with a movie overperforms there. Yea, something like Resident Evil was practically saved by China, but this would be a giant overseas gross regardless if China made 100M or 300M. 

Hopefully this success gives DC the confidence boost it needs to do its own thing, rather than trying to copy the MCU's shared universe, which I think was what caused its early entries to be much too rushed in terms of world-building. Their upcoming slate looks really interesting, so I'm curious to see what they do with it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have it doing $20M for the 6-day but wouldn't be surprised if it went lower. Feels like a sequel nobody asked for plus Universal hasn't done much to push it.

I hope HDD2U opens well. Can’t wait to see it on Thursday.

That seems like a good start for Alita

The only people who are attributing Aquaman's success solely to China are people who were desperately wanted it to fail because they can't get over the fact that it absolutely murdered the other December movies. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Are we still allowed to say Aquaman is the 5th (or is it 6th, can't remember correctly) more successful american movie in China ?

5th most in American currency. It is the 4th most successful in local currency. Age of Extinction released when the ER was much better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Are we still allowed to say Aquaman is the 5th (or is it 6th, can't remember correctly) more successful american movie in China ?

You are allowed to say whatever you want to. What a bizarre question. Nobody is downplaying its success in China. Its success in China is great, WB needed a DC film to break out in China. But some damn sure are downplaying its success everywhere else and that's b.s.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

At least Spider-verse has held well. I wonder if LEGO's performance directly impacts how Sony approaches sequels and spin-offs for it?

Yeah, I’d just do Spider Verse 2 which has actual breakout potential first.