sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

I am thrilled by Aquaman's success, because the Shazam/Joker/Birdsof Prey/Batman/Suicide Squad made on a dime model doesn't please me at all.

I guess we ll have Wondy & Aquabro for the thrills.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure everyone predicted Lego to drop-off but holy hell at how much it did drop.

It's good though. If they had just made one sequel, I'd have watched it. But, Batman and Ninjago, both which I had no interest in, diluted the brand way too quickly. Seems like WB didn't learn after their Justice League fiasco, but to be fair both would have been in production at the same time. I have no real interest in seeing this Lego sequel either. It feels dated and comes way too late since the story doesn't feel like a continuation but a cash grab. 

Re: HTTYD, I think it was mentioned after the first sequel disappointed, that there was a TV series going on. Dreamworks has since produced TV series spin-offs for every? one of its movies. That is super dilution of their IP and I was told the quality was also sub-par. They only have themselves to blame, really. Unless the TV series is really raking in the cash for them, and maybe it is, the decisions are short-sighted and yet again way too focused on money instead of quality. No use having DeBlois make one of the best trilogies if you're going to insult it with mediocre TV filler that may not even be canon according to the film. 

Heck, as much as I dislike the prominence of superhero movies, Marvel has been the only one, probably more due to Feige than Disney, that has managed to plan out and execute a vision. Disney tried to do it with Star Wars and have already stumbled. Doesn't everyone hate execs? Time again those fucks prove they know jackshit about people, but I'm sure they ride their money train for a little while. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

I remmeber loads predicting 300m for Ralph 2 after that Princess trailer 

Yeah, hence why I said before marketing people weren't expecting much. The movie definitely had an uphill battle being an animated sequel 6 years after a film that didn't exactly set the box office on fire. The fact that it increased at all is a testament to the marketing. Especially with such heavy direct competition from Grinch and Spider-verse. Those of us predicting 300 and whatnot obviously got carried away (though I don't remember very many saying 300 tbh). 250 seems like it was possible with that opening if Grinch and Spider-verse WOM both hadn't been crazy good. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Aquaman

1120 WW after 6 OS weekend and 3.3 Dom weekend

15 more OS and 10 more Dom gives 1145 WW (which gives WW-China of 853 using 292 in China)

----

20 SHs released over 3 years 2016-2018,

AQM, ITSV, VENOM, ANT-MAN2, I2, TA3, DP2, BP, SMH, JL, THOR3, WONDR, GOTG2, LOGAN, SS, BVS, DP1, DS, CW, APOC

AQM will have 5th biggest WW-China out of these

TA3    1689

BP      1242

I2        1191

CW     973

AQM   850-855

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I'm pretty sure everyone predicted Lego to drop-off but holy hell at how much it did drop.

It's good though. If they had just made one sequel, I'd have watched it. But, Batman and Ninjago, both which I had no interest in, diluted the brand way too quickly. Seems like WB didn't learn after their Justice League fiasco, but to be fair both would have been in production at the same time. I have no real interest in seeing this Lego sequel either. It feels dated and comes way too late since the story doesn't feel like a continuation but a cash grab. 

Re: HTTYD, I think it was mentioned after the first sequel disappointed, that there was a TV series going on. Dreamworks has since produced TV series spin-offs for every? one of its movies. That is super dilution of their IP and I was told the quality was also sub-par. They only have themselves to blame, really. Unless the TV series is really raking in the cash for them, and maybe it is, the decisions are short-sighted and yet again way too focused on money instead of quality. No use having DeBlois make one of the best trilogies if you're going to insult it with mediocre TV filler that may not even be canon according to the film. 

Heck, as much as I dislike the prominence of superhero movies, Marvel has been the only one, probably more due to Feige than Disney, that has managed to plan out and execute a vision. Disney tried to do it with Star Wars and have already stumbled. Doesn't everyone hate execs? Time again those fucks prove they know jackshit about people, but I'm sure they ride their money train for a little while. 

The Dragon TV show isn’t half bad and the Trollhunters franchise is great, though everything else is garbage. That’s the problem for animated sequels that Dreamworks hasn’t learned yet, the last time they had a sequel increase was with Madagascar 3. Kung Fu Panda 2/3, Penguins of Madagascar and Dragon 2 suffered from their TV series not because of quality but rather easy accessibility. Considering how expensive the movies are for families, why pay $60 for the sequel when they can watch the series at home. Croods 2, Trolls 2 and Boss Baby 2 are screwed because of this as well. Also I think the vast amount of Lego Batman and Ninjago DTV movies also hurt the franchise as well.

Illumination and Pixar (and to a lesser extent WDAS, despite Ralph 2 being uneventful it increased even if barely) got it right, they waited either 3-4 years for number 2, and aggressive marketing/shorts in between, or if story problems arise wait 10-11 years and let nostalgia take its course. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I have no real interest in seeing this Lego sequel either. It feels dated and comes way too late since the story doesn't feel like a continuation but a cash grab. 

Well, think whatever you want about LEGO 2, but it is completely a continuation, so much so that it picks up exactly where the first one left off.  It's also one of the best animated sequels ever made, IMO.  It's pretty great.

It did make me a little more bitter about Lord and Miller being fired off of Solo, though.  If their work on Spider-Verse and LEGO 2 is any indication, letting L&M complete their version of Solo may actually have been the perfect thing to reignite some of the waning enthusiasm for Star Wars in some after the divisive mess of a response following TLJ.  Ironic, that.

L&M have yet to either direct, write or co-write a film that audiences have not responded well to (unless I'm forgetting something).

• Like 3

On 2/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, CoolioD1 said:

loved the lego movie but i'm for sure skipping this one in cinemas. didn't like the spin-off flicks and there was no hook in the marketing. those sequels where the whole selling point is just "look... we made another one" never works out for them.

:(

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The Lego Movie 2 marketing was definitely meh. Idk how much time the movie spends in that wasteland setting, but it was not appealing looking (especially for kids I'd imagine) and seemed to be the focus of the marketing. 

To be fair, Warner sucks at marketing family films, they always have except for a few exceptions (Lego 1 and Batman were good).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Lego Movie 2 marketing was definitely meh. Idk how much time the movie spends in that wasteland setting, but it was not appealing looking (especially for kids I'd imagine) and seemed to be the focus of the marketing. 

i think it spends maybe ten minutes there lmao

There are a ton of cool hooks with LEGO 2, they just weirdly decided not to go with any of them for the marketing. For example

No reason it should've been a surprise musical, especially when musicals are back in public favor

• Like 1

Just now, Blankments said:

i think it spends maybe ten minutes there lmao

There are a ton of cool hooks with LEGO 2, they just weirdly decided not to go with any of them for the marketing. For example

Hide contents

No reason it should've been a surprise musical, especially when musicals are back in public favor

They did the same thing for Smallfoot. I don’t get why they didn’t do it in the first place. It’s not like Sing, Coco, Frozen, Trolls or Moana suffered being marketed as musicals.

• Like 1

It has been mentioned before but I don't know why everybody keeps blaming the TV show for Dragons 2 drop off and forgets about 3D. 

I've reading mojo reports from the BO of the original and it says that 65-70% of it's gross was from 3D. HTTYD2 could have sold more tickets than the first one lol 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LordNox said:

This failure from lego 2 means that WB really need to step up the marketing of Shazam. It doesn't need another movie to underperform this massively in a short time span.

Lego's faliure has nothing to do with Shazam. WB are not good at marketing animated films. Everyone knew this already. WB for the most part have done a great job marketing their Superhero films. They just got Aquaman to 1.1 billion dollars. Justice League flopped because it looked like and was a sequel to a Zack Snyder movie and many audiences hate Zack Snyder as a filmmaker, even if they don't know him by name. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lego's faliure has nothing to do with Shazam. WB are not good at marketing animated films. Everyone knew this already. WB for the most part have done a great job marketing their Superhero films. They just got Aquaman to 1.1 billion dollars. Justice League flopped because it looked like and was a sequel to a Zack Snyder movie and many audiences hate Zack Snyder as a filmmaker, even if they don't know him by name. 

Besides in all the movies I’ve gotten the Shazam trailer for it kills. Shazam will likely be fine and like Dumbo benefit from the likely underperformance of the Q1 animated films.

If Lego’s marketing should instill fear it’d be towards their other animated movies and maybe Detective Pikachu, but that had a great teaser.

• Like 1