sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

If anyone wants to, you can now vote for Birds of Prey in the Most Anticipated Movies thread. It's coming out a year from now. Also, I'm impressed that multiple people voted for Doctor Sleep. We'll have to see if it's any good or not, but it certainly has some folks' attention.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/667-box-office-theorys-most-anticipated-films/?page=362

Just list your top ten of the next 365 days.

We'll see if those new Child's Play and Shaft trailers were worth any top ten votes.

• Like 1

I'm actually rooting for The Upside to leg its way over $100M domestically. If a film like that can make it to that milestone, then I welcome it. I know it's not the best dramedy of its kind, but I think a surprise $100M achievement would be beneficial to everyone involved--STX Entertainment, Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, and the like. It'd also be good for the genre as a whole. I'm not sure how likely it is as of now; it'll need around $14M more from its run to achieve that. Judging from the sparsity of this year's March season, I think it might have a chance.

I'm also happy that Glass was able to achieve $100M because I wouldn't mind more Hollywood "thriller" films.

I view Lego's gross less as a "bomb" and more as an "underperformance". It's still got a decent chance at $100M domestic, and it's still got the overseas markets. I'm sure it'll break even, at least. But I can't ignore that the underperformance will discourage Warner Bros from making another Lego film of any sort, at least for the time being. If you asked me, I'd say that could very well be for the best.

I expected The Prodigy to do better than its estimated weekend total. On the bright side, this is Orion's highest grossing film since they were revived in 2016, and it's not even close--heck, if Actuals are able to perk up a bit with the Sunday numbers, than this film might be able to gross more in its opening than Orion's romantic comedy from last year, Every Day, was able to gross in its entire run. That's progress. It's a sinch by the inch, as they say.

Regarding the platform releases, I see that Cold War is doing well. Curious individuals are seeing it. That's heartwarming. When your film gets as important a nomination as Best Director, then yeah, I guess a certain demographic really will show up to see it.

• Like 2

I’d be curious to see if WAG has more success with hybrids, Space Jam 2 will benefit from Nostaglia but also the fact WB is pushing a Looney Tunes comeback with the shorts.

With Scooby, I think they should put a teaser with Detective Pikachu then another trailer on the 50th anniversary just to build awareness for the film. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I’d be curious to see if WAG has more success with hybrids, Space Jam 2 will benefit from Nostaglia but also the fact WB is pushing a Looney Tunes comeback with the shorts.

With Scooby, I think they should put a teaser with Detective Pikachu then another trailer on the 50th anniversary just to build awareness for the film. 

Space Jam 2 depending on the release date can be the next Jumanji. Book it now.

That’s also a smart idea for Scooby. I’m rooting for it to be big. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Space Jam 2 depending on the release date can be the next Jumanji. Book it now.

That’s also a smart idea for Scooby. I’m rooting for it to be big. 

I’m thinking November for Space Jam 2 but I wouldn’t rule out December if they decide to switch release dates with Sherlock Holmes 3

I think Scooby will be released in March or April 2020 since Spongebob 3 has moved to May 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I’m thinking November for Space Jam 2 but I wouldn’t rule out December if they decide to switch release dates with Sherlock Holmes 3

I think Scooby will be released in March or April 2020 since Spongebob 3 has moved to May 

But where? Onward and Mulan are both in early/late March and I think Trolls opens the first week of April. I can see January/February since I think either Mitchells or Peter Rabbit 2 will move as Sony has six animated films scheduled and Nimona is a question mark due to the Disney acquisition.

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I'm actually rooting for The Upside to leg its way over $100M domestically. If a film like that can make it to that milestone, then I welcome it. I know it's not the best dramedy of its kind, but I think a surprise $100M achievement would be beneficial to everyone involved--STX Entertainment, Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, and the like. It'd also be good for the genre as a whole. I'm not sure how likely it is as of now; it'll need around $14M more from its run to achieve that. Judging from the sparsity of this year's March season, I think it might have a chance.

I'm also happy that Glass was able to achieve $100M because I wouldn't mind more Hollywood "thriller" films.

I view Lego's gross less as a "bomb" and more as an "underperformance". It's still got a decent chance at $100M domestic, and it's still got the overseas markets. I'm sure it'll break even, at least. But I can't ignore that the underperformance will discourage Warner Bros from making another Lego film of any sort, at least for the time being. If you asked me, I'd say that could very well be for the best.

I expected The Prodigy to do better than its estimated weekend total. On the bright side, this is Orion's highest grossing film since they were revived in 2016, and it's not even close--heck, if Actuals are able to perk up a bit with the Sunday numbers, than this film might be able to gross more in its opening than Orion's romantic comedy from last year, Every Day, was able to gross in its entire run. That's progress. It's a sinch by the inch, as they say.

Regarding the platform releases, I see that Cold War is doing well. Curious individuals are seeing it. That's heartwarming. When your film gets as important a nomination as Best Director, then yeah, I guess a certain demographic really will show up to see it.

A chance at 100M? It opened to 34M. There's no way it finishes under 100M.

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

A chance at 100M? It opened to 34M. There's no way it finishes under 100M.

Disney's Christopher Robin had a 24.5M OW, and that film was able to leg its way to $99.2M domestic total. So with similar legs to that film, Lego can absolutely manage $100M.

A more apt comparison could feasibly be Peter Rabbit, which similarly received $25M on a similar February opening weekend and legged its way to a $115M finish.

And Lego 2 has a $10M-ish leg-up on both of those aforementioned titles.

Maybe it's my optimism, but I'm not ready to give up hope just yet.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Disney's Christopher Robin had a 24.5M OW, and that film was able to leg its way to $99.2M domestic total. So with similar legs to that film, Lego can absolutely manage $100M.

A more apt comparison could feasibly be Peter Rabbit, which similarly received $25M on a similar February opening weekend and legged its way to a $115M finish.

And Lego 2 has a $10M-ish leg-up on both of those aforementioned titles.

Maybe it's my optimism, but I'm not ready to give up hope just yet.

Direct animation competition is why it might not hit $100m.

We just have to see.