sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

Just now, Jonwo said:

Lego Batman made sense to do as it was perfect synergy for WB, a spin off based of both the first film and their most popular character. Ninjago however did do some damage. 

I don't think Ninjago damaged the brand, I mean barely anyone saw it. It's just diluting the brand which takes away novelty of Lego movie. If Ninjago did well and was well liked I dont think that would stand the Lego 2vie in any better stead, really.

23 minutes ago, TMP said:

Captain Marvel is gonna open to $200m at this rate with just how bad everything seems to be under-performing 

I've been saying this since the beginning of the year. The opening weekend for Captain Marvel is going to be an inflated shot in the arm for the box office in the way that It was in September 2017.

When I say "inflated", that's not meant to discredit the box office for the movie in any way. I'm just saying the OW is going to be even bigger than it would normally be due to pent up demand for an exciting movie, which is totally legitimate.

Edited by JB33

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

giphy.gif

What is that film? Never heard of it. Was probably never discussed on these boards in these last few months.

Edit: It seems that some people actually think i was beeing serious with that post LOL.

Edited by Brainbug
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, TMP said:

I saw the trailer to What Men Want, and is there like some studio contract that directors have to sign that states all comedies must look like flat, ugly TV movies? Game Night and the Jump Street films are really the only exceptions I can think of for the last few years.

Edgar Wright Baby Driver, The Favourite, Phantom Thread, Vice/The Big Short, 3 billboards, Logan Lucky, The Nice guys

There is a strong believe that if you do not have a flat image it will remove from the comedy, many feature lot of improve.

Edited by Barnack

From Deadline: 

2nd Update, 12:36PM: Early midday numbers show Lego Movie 2 with an $11M opening day, estimated $40Mweekend, lower than the $50M-$55M expected, however this is a Saturday matinee movie, not a Friday night one. One report is seeing Lego Movie 2 below $40M, like at $35M. We’ll let you know if and when Bricksburg crumbles.

What Men Want: $7.8/$20M 

Cold Pursuit: $4.1M/$11.5M

The Prodigy: $6.5M for weekend 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

I don't think Ninjago damaged the brand, I mean barely anyone saw it. It's just diluting the brand which takes away novelty of Lego movie. 

Maybe a few more folks have woken up to the fact that this is basically just a 2-hour toy commercial.

Not that there's anything wrong with 2-hour toy commercials. I watched tons of half-hour GIJoe and Transformers commercials all the time back when I was younger. And while you can go out and buy Coco figures and Spider-Verse toys and Star Wars and whatever, these Lego movies feel a bit more like pure commercials with so many exact sets that are exactly what you see on screen.

Like I said, personally I've been a big fan of many different toy commercials. But maybe there are a few parents out there who aren't in a huge rush to go out and buy another $200 worth of Lego sets. (For the record, I bought my nieces and nephew a whole ton of sets from the Lego Batman movie last year.)

• Like 1