sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

From Deadline: 

2nd Update, 12:36PM: Early midday numbers show Lego Movie 2 with an $11M opening day, estimated $40Mweekend, lower than the $50M-$55M expected, however this is a Saturday matinee movie, not a Friday night one. One report is seeing Lego Movie 2 below $40M, like at $35M. We’ll let you know if and when Bricksburg crumbles.

What Men Want: $7.8/$20M 

Cold Pursuit: $4.1M/$11.5M

The Prodigy: $6.5M for weekend 

35 would be legitimately bad.

Brutal, but after the previews it was easy to see it would land around 40M.

Taraji also failing to set the box office on fire.

Adolf Hitler bombing as expected.

Lmao at The Prodigy.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks like franchise fatigue caught up to the Lego franchise before it even delivered a sequel. Ouch.

Just from flipping around the channels  it seems like Lego also puts out a ton of Marvel/DC/Star Wars Lego tv specials too

Edited by DAR
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

From Deadline: 

2nd Update, 12:36PM: Early midday numbers show Lego Movie 2 with an $11M opening day, estimated $40Mweekend, lower than the $50M-$55M expected, however this is a Saturday matinee movie, not a Friday night one. One report is seeing Lego Movie 2 below $40M, like at $35M. We’ll let you know if and when Bricksburg crumbles.

What Men Want: $7.8/$20M 

Cold Pursuit: $4.1M/$11.5M

The Prodigy: $6.5M for weekend 

EVERYTHING IS CRUMBLING

Sooooo, can Alita be #1 next week? (And GOD, Captain Marvel can't come soon enough to save this wasteland.)

Just now, DAR said:

Just from flipping around the channels  it seems like like also puts out a ton of Marvel/DC/Star Wars Lego tv specials too

Yep. Total dilution and devaluing of the brand. This looks like it's going bleed over half of the audience from the original 5 years ago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks like franchise fatigue caught up to the Lego franchise before it even delivered a sequel. Ouch.

I wonder what WB will do with the series now? I don't see them giving up for it but I don't see another Lego film coming out for another 3-4 years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I really thought it would open to 26-28M and carry itself to over 100M DOM total.

It could still go up later and reach about mid-20s for the weekend. It's sure to have a great Thursday next week with it being Valentine's Day.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm wondering. Would The Lego Movie 2 have done better if it was advertised as a musical? Because the musical numbers are some of the most fun and memorable parts of the movie. 

It would've done better had it been released 2-3 years after the first movie and if Lego Batman and especially Lego Ninjago hadn't been made during the time in between.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder what WB will do with the series now? I don't see them giving up for it but I don't see another Lego film coming out for another 3-4 years

I imagine they'll take it to streaming land. Aren't they planning on launching their own (like every studio seems to be doing these days)?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Taraji also failing to set the box office on fire.

Well maybe not fire, but $1.25m in previews is quite good, that 93% of arguably the biggest domestic draw in a comedy (or just in general) right now Kevin Hart Night School and the same has Ride Along 2.

But yeah with those pre-sales numbers and early twitter about crowd reaction, I also thought it could go 24-28m and leg it out over 90m, if that 20M old would be a bit of a deception.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine they'll take it to streaming land. Aren't they planning on launching their own (like every studio seems to be doing these days)?

WB already have HBO Go has a streaming platform, and they want to augment it yes:

https://geektyrant.com/news/now-warner-bros-is-launching-a-streaming-service

It’s said that the new platform “will be fronted by HBO, with content from additional Warner Media brands bundled around that premium cable service.” Stankey says:

I imagine it could be nothing changing outside of branding, because media/Internet seem to consider streaming platform has something different than HBO Go for some reason.

Ouch, hope Friday goes up for Lego2 and it hits 45 ow.  Lego1 had a 3.73x multi. I hope this one does 3.3x at least.

Will give it a decent dom that approaches 150 with 45 ow.

11.0-12.0

17.5-19.5 (+59-63%)

11.5-13.5 (-31-34%)

= 40-45

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Like Ted, the giant success of the first one was probably deeply linked to the novelty.

Come to think of it Ted is probably a fitting comparison. That movie's sequel dropped nearly 2/3 from the original, which is brutal for a sequel to a film that was well-received and had a multiplier of around 4 from a $50M+ launch.

• Like 1