sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

I saw the trailer to What Men Want, and is there like some studio contract that directors have to sign that states all comedies must look like flat, ugly TV movies? Game Night and the Jump Street films are really the only exceptions I can think of for the last few years.

Also from Deadline

In 2050 theaters last night starting at 7PM, Liam Neeson’s Cold Pursuit from Lionsgate played earning $540K. That’s lower than the action star’s The Commuter a year ago which earned $700K ($13.7M opening) but higher than his March 2015 release Run All Night ($455K Thursday, $11M start). Critics enjoyed the movie at 80% fresh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

WB's handling of this franchise has been slightly befuddling.

They really should’ve done Lego 2 first in 2017/18 and then Lego Batman this year. If they’d waited for the spin-offs I honestly think it could’ve been the next Shrek 2/DM2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

WB's handling of this franchise has been slightly befuddling.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

They really should’ve done Lego 2 first in 2017/18 and then Lego Batman this year. If they’d waited for the spin-offs I honestly think it could’ve been the next Shrek 2/DM2.

Getting out a Lego Batman spinoff first wasn't a bad idea, the character was a big hit in the first one, the problem was just that the movie was kinda mediocre.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 2

On one hand, the fact that there had been previews before Thursday could mean that demand wasn't aggressive by the time Thursday showings started. On the other, it had a 4PM start...... yeah, not too good. 40+ is the target, I guess. Might struggle to break 150M DOM under those circumstances.

Not only is the complete botching of the handling of the Lego franchise a goose egg on WB, especially after the breakout success of the 1st movie - they should've done the sequel 1st, period - but this means that the box office is gonna continue to be a slog. I hope HTTYD3 breaks out, or at least Alita takes advantage of its now better reviews to have an overperformance, because otherwise, we're gonna have to wait until Captain Marvel for 2019 to really start.............. ugh.

What Men Want did pretty damn well, though, so there's that. Cold Pursuit and The Prodigy exactly within expected ranges, I would presume.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed.  Their worst decision was putting out Ninjago... a poorly reviewed movie from a niche Lego line that skews heavily towards one demographic.  Talk about a way to water down a brand...

• Like 2

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week:

Alita: 1:56. Attachments unknown (likely Dark Phoenix)

Isn't It Romantic: 1:24. Attachments unknown (likely Sun is Also a Star and maybe La Llorona)

Happy Death Day 2U: 1:34. Attachments are Us, Greta, and Ma (latter two new trailers)

• Astonished 1

Just now, Brinatico said:

Anyone here knows Lego1 make 455k on previous. 

Don't try to underestimate the opening of Lego2 WB usually don't try harder on previous for cartoons. There was no K12 of yesterday 

That was 5 years ago with 10 PM previews at at a time when Thursday previews are nowhere near as prominent as they are now.

36 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

That’s underwhelming for What Men Want too, IMO. 

The Prodigy won’t do $10m. Tracking was $7m anyway but not a great start.

• Sad 1