baumer

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is without a doubt one of the weirdest fucking movies i have ever seen. The first few minutes start out normal enough, liam neeson is introduced his son dies yada ya ya. He almost decides to kill himself over his sons death, but changes his mind once somebody tells him about the drug lord. His wife leaves and is never heard from again, its a wonder why she even existed in the first place. He then attempts to go on a killing rampage(and his depression is never brought up again) but can only go so far up the chain. A shit ton of pointless characters are introduced and given way too much screen time. Do we really need to know that the drug lord viking is super health conscious? Do we really need to get a backstory for every single one of his henchmen? One of them even goes into detail about how he tries to seduce maids to have sex with for him $20. 

In another movie it might be funny but its just awkward, does nothing to advance the plot and just pads the screentime. 

2 cops are brought in but they never do anything that affects the plot and neither of them are very interesting. We also have to listen them talk about their love lives and they’re views on drug enforcement. 

Then as if that wasnt enough the movie decides to introduce some mative americans who take up even more screentime and serve no purpose drag the plot out. Seriously at one point the movie shows 50 year old natives playing in the snow. For several minutes. For fucking serious. For no reason. The movie also trys to extract some humor from the natives but most of it falls flat and comes off as cringy.

Liam Neesons character is nowhere to be seen for large portions of the movie and has very little dialogue in the scenes where he does up. This wouldnt be such a huge problem if the movie wasnt advertised as a one man show. Liam Neesons name is front and center on the poster and he was the focal point of most of the tv ads.  

Instead we get an ensemble movie with a bunch of nobodies that ultimately amounts to nothing. 

One more thing, the actor who played Viking, the main drug lord is seriously one of the most fucking annoying actors ive ever seen. He wasn’t funny, he wasnt threatening, and he sure as hell wasn’t captivating. Why the movie decided to spend so much time with him and his son and his ex wife is beyond me. 

I cant say its the worst movie i’ve ever seen in theaters, Lucy and Transformers 2&4 take the cake for me, but this was certainly the strangest movie ive paid to see. How it got generally positive reviews on rottentomatoes astounds me. 

D+

What a very strange movie. Was it a comedy? I honestly don't know. So much of it, especially the first half, was played so very seriously. But then some odd things start to happen, and by the end of the movie I honestly couldn't tell if the whole thing was a comedy or not.

It wasn't even a bad movie. It just wasn't at all what I expected. Even though it kind of played as you'd think it would throughout, when I walked out of the theater I kind of added it all up in my mind, and it didn't add up to what I expected.

Liam Neeson didn't even kill anybody in the second half of the movie. And the very ending was straight up WUT!

So bizarre. I love that the kid just drives off.

Really strange like Laura Dern character simply disappear, casting a big name for it was maybe the point to make the absence heavier but it felt strange,  felt like a post production change there.

Almost no way all the native/luxury hotel storyline played like intended in the director mind.

Hard to recommend and make you appreciate Fargo of even Wind River much more.

really enjoyed this. liked all the little bits of nuance and fleshing out minor characters that really paid off. Very odd and funny and also somewhat thrilling.

also did anyone think the native chief looked like kevin spaceY?