JB33

It MAY miss the mark - No 3-day opening weekend in May over $80M for the first time since 2001! *CLUB IS NOW CLOSED*

Pikachu is NOT going to kill this club, folks.

• Haha 1

Still seems incredibly unlikely. If you are including Memorial Day in May then 100% no for me. However this is looking close.

Well, I guess I was totally wrong on Pika Pika, but I still hold faith on Godzilla.

(Now watch Aladdin break the ice instead.)

This club may actually happen. I don't think Godzilla will clear the mark, John Wick will probably open to 50-55m, so I think it all comes down to Aladdin. I think it has a good shot to clear 80m but it's not guaranteed

On 5/12/2019 at 7:42 AM, cdsacken said:

Still seems incredibly unlikely. If you are including Memorial Day in May then 100% no for me. However this is looking close.

Not including Memorial Day. The club is for 3-day opening weekends.

giphy.gif

Every single person in this thread when that 7m number popped up for Aladdin, as it might be RIGHT at the 80m 3day line. :lol:

• Like 2

I mean, I’m in, but I’d sort of prefer this club to fail from an industry doing well perspective. Win-win 😛 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

3BSF8vY.png

====

Variety is reporting a 30m Fri (including previews), so It's in the ballpark, but he hasn't won the prize yet. Hence the gif of him reaching toward it. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Alli said:

Aladdin will be the only one to make it

!!!!!

This is more likely now than I ever thought possible many months ago. Even if a movie does open above $80 million over 3 days, it will be so close.

My record for clubs is so bad, I think I should just stop commenting in them at this point.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

giphy.gif

Every single person in this thread when that 7m number popped up for Aladdin, as it might be RIGHT at the 80m 3day line. :lol:

I'm sweatin' alright, but like @Thanos Legion pointed out, it's a win-win for me. If my club fails it means the box office won, which makes me happy.

• Like 3

The movie that was the most underpredicted of the big 3 is gonna be the only one to do it. 

And the most overpredicted one by the most amount of people is gonna be the lowest grossing one.

It was a good club btw @JB33, I think most would be surprised that it is Aladdin that broke the barrier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of things.  Congrats to @JB33 for the gutsy club.  For a while it looked crazy (when Pika hype was still strong, if on the decline) but you nailed the under-performance of Pika Pika big time.  Can't blame you one bit for buying into the bad buzz surrounding Aladdin as it really was possibly the most likely (NOT likely, just 'most likely') to miss given buzz three months back.

So props for the entertaining club.  But now that Aladdin has smashed it, gotta say I'm also rooting for KotM to break it as well.  Have the club go out in style, I say. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also @JB33 props for being really positive in this club despite it being a "under" type club. You were pretty positive about every candidate's chances for legs and quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate the support guys.

@ZeeSoh Exactly what I'm thinking. I thought there was a good chance that PIkachu was going to come out and make me look foolish right off the hop, but it ended up being the movie everyone thought was dead in the water.

@Porthos I agree! Now that the club is dead, may as well root for every movie to do as well as possible! I always say, I root for the box office first and foremost.

@Mulder Thanks. Yeah I have a philosophy: I predict with my mind, not with my heart. My heart wants every single film to succeed because I love cinema. I see clubs as intellectual predictions. It's what I predict to happen and nothing more. Obviously I'm thrilled if any movie beats expectations. I guess it's easy to have this win-win attitude when it's an "under club" though. When an over club fails, well that's no good for anyone. You lost and the movie lost.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, Mulder said:

Hm going to call it now, if anything breaks it, it's going to be 80% chance DP, 15% chance KoTM, 5% chance Aladdin.

:kitschjob:

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

:kitschjob:

Look, mistakes were made, okay? :lol:

(She also didn't give much of a chance to her fav, KotM, so it's not like she was thinking with her heart ;))

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Look, mistakes were made, okay? :lol:

(She also didn't give much of a chance to her fav, KotM, so it's not like she was thinking with her heart ;))

I mean I predicted $1B for Pika Pika at the start of the year so....:sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1