MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

JB33

It MAY miss the mark - No 3-day opening weekend in May over $80M for the first time since 2001!

Out, too much hype for Pikachu to ignore. Aladdin and Godzilla will probably open over $80m as well. 

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Warner Bros.' other tentpole Godzilla: King of the Monsters is also a significant threat to this club. Apparently test screenings have been super positive and those in the know have said it's a major crowd pleaser, unlike its predecessor, 2014's Godzilla, which opened big to $93,188,384 but had awful legs.

While that's good to hear since I'm looking forward to it, I'm just curious as to where you read that because test screening reports can be phony.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I think this is going to be a Summer with plenty of great OW's but plenty of bad legs to go around.

With that being said, I am out.

4 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Pikachu and maybe Godzilla won’t go below it.

Until I see a trailer and the reaction to it, Aladdin might not make it over it though 

Well this did not age well. Aladdin is making buzz already and it’s been a hour since that sneak peek dropped.

Complete out. 

2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Well this did not age well. Aladdin is making buzz already and it’s been a hour since that sneak peek dropped.

Complete out. 

Is this sarcasm?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

While that's good to hear since I'm looking forward to it, I'm just curious as to where you read that because test screening reports can be phony.

Around these parts. I have no specific source off hand. I'm just going by memory. I don't blame you if you don't take my word for it though. I'll do some digging for a source.

I’ll be in iff we can remove Godzilla. I mean, 67% of its 3-day opening is in June anyway.

Edited by Thanos Legion

14 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Pikachu is this year’s pacific rim. Godzilla could actually pull off a strong opening weekend if 2014 doesn’t give it bad karma. John Wick 3 will do ahead of part 2. Aladdin might just be another bomb since Disney hasn’t released a trailer for it. 

Godzilla is the contender for 80+ ow. The other movies could pull $40-$50. But it’s tough. 

So we”ll see. But I’m in more that I think about it since this year has been dissaponting so far. 

A family movie featuring one of the most popular actors in the moment voicing the mascot of the most valuable entertainment brand of all time, in the 1st live-action adaptation of a multi media franchise that carries heavy nostalgia with the 90's crowd and still sells millions and millions every year. Compare that to an original movie with a great hook... that appealed to a very niche audience.

Yyyyyyeah, Pikachu is not Pacific Rim'ish in the slightest.

And btw, OUT. I think Godzilla and Pikachu will do it.

14 hours ago, JB33 said:

Around these parts. I have no specific source off hand. I'm just going by memory. I don't blame you if you don't take my word for it though. I'll do some digging for a source.

Even still, I’ve seen reports from seemingly reputable sources, i.e. people in the know, turn out to be bogus before. When it’s a movie I’m looking forward to, of course I want to believe it, but I’ve been suckered before.

Out! 

Also, I always shout out a reminder the Mummy 2 in 2001 was the #2 OW of all time at that moment. Crazy to think about. 

• Like 1

Out, I easily see at minimum one of DP, Aladdin or Godzilla doing that.

I imagine Pikachu will do 85-95 OW. So gotta be out of this. I agree that Aladdin will not open to 80M, nor will Godzilla.

Out, since Pika-Pika will do 80M Thursday previews.

I mean, its Pika-Pika.

Godzilla is also a challenger for a 100M+ OW.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’ll be in iff we can remove Godzilla. I mean, 67% of its 3-day opening is in June anyway.

I did wonder about that. I'm personally aligned with BOM as far as how I analyze box office and they have May 31 releases listed among May opening weekends so I'm going with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I did wonder about that. I'm personally aligned with BOM as far as how I analyze box office and they have May 31 releases listed among May opening weekends so I'm going with that. 

Don't worry this club will be beaten at 2pm Friday 10th.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, tupek said:

I'm in

Welcome to this club of unlikely, yet inevitable success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1