Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Could this be the long weekend thread?

Nah, because Valentine's isn't really a holiday. Presidents' Day is the holiday so may as well just start the weekend thread on Friday as normal.

It'll be interesting to see the runs of these two movies. When it comes to years with the exact same calendar configuration (2008, 2013), all the new movies opened on Thursday the 14th. So we can't use stuff like Safe Haven or Beautiful Creatures or Definitely, Maybe as comparisons for these movies. This is basically uncharted territory.

Happy Death day is estimated at $2.25m

Identity Thief made $2.0m on Wednesday the 13th, then 5.37m on Thursday going into a 23m 2nd weekend.  I'd guess that Isn't It Romantic has a chance of getting into that neighborhood tomorrow, ~5m, but a much smaller weekend.  Beautiful Creatures opened to 2.5m on the 14th and dropped 10% on Friday.  Warm Bodies jumped 300% on Valentine's day.  I want to think HDD2U is more likely to get that kind of bump but it could be any (or none) of them.

A guess for HDD2U, 

W- 2.25

Th- 3.5

Fri- 4

Sat- 4.5

Sun- 3.25

Mon- 1.6

3-day: $11.75m

4-day: $13.35m

6-day: $19.1m

https://deadline.com/2019/02/happy-death-day-2u-isnt-it-romantic-opening-day-box-office-1202556699/

We’re now hearing that New Line’s Rebel Wilson comedy Isn’t It Romantic is leading over Universal/Blumhouse’s Happy Death Day 2U, $1.75M to $1M in their opening days. Nothing to be alarmed about as business will recover tomorrow on date night, Valentine’s Day, and into the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2

Just now, kitik said:

Terrible numbers.

But that's nothing new for Wednesday openers. Not sure why Hollywood even bothers.

Happy Death Day 2U was supposed to open on Valentine's Day but was moved up to avoid coinciding with the one year anniversary of Parkland (it also isn't playing anywhere around that area).

those numbers suck. I get the context of the fact that it's Wednesday and all, but still, there's only so much a big increase can do from such a low start. Nothing indicating break-outs here :( 2019 box office continues to suck

• Like 1

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with the box office this year. It can't just be lack of interest because this feels abnormal. I've read some reports on YouTube of people who said they couldn't go to theaters because they were snowed in...... do you guys think the bad weather is really a factor here too?

box office drought even looks worse if the box office catches up by if Disney did the same thing it did last year

imagine if last year had similar months of drought.... then, Incredibles2 - 600+, BP - 700. 

That makes it seem like 10 billion yearly could be getting unreachable if it wasn't for those...  analogies? (electoral college)

I guess they just need to make more movies and market them heavier.

anyone know what happened to the millions of Tree fans?

HDD w/ 1M OD, maybe they are all waiting for Friday?

Scream 4 opened to 18.7 w/ a 8.2 Friday, so 

maybe HDD can do 1.0 + 2.5 + 4.5 + 6.0 + 4.5 = 18.5

I thought there would be more hype with pop culture fixture Tree returning, 

hope HDD2 doesn't sink down to mother! #s